Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 19-01-2017, 08:39   #2716
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I believe it is set to auto. I've separated the 2.4 and 5ghz networks and connected most things at 5ghz. So I'll give that a go before trying the wireless channel. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Put both boxes into 5ghz wifi and now when I try to access the other V6 box I get an V401 error.

This is so frustrating. I can stream Netflix and YouTube fine through LG TVS, a phone and the V6 boxes. I can watch my recordings through TV anywhere on my phone fine all through WiFi. Why are the 2 V6 boxes just not talking to each other properly.
I believe they should be set at 5G. CS sorted this out for me - why not give them a ring?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2017, 10:08   #2717
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I believe they should be set at 5G. CS sorted this out for me - why not give them a ring?
They now are. That said there is no reason they shouldn't work at 2.4ghz.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:25   #2718
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

5Ghz doesn't have the distance of 2.4Ghz.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:17   #2719
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Does anyone know if there are any issues with a V6 being on its side (i.e. like a tower PC)? I can't see any ventilation on either side, just wondered about the hard disc reliability in an upright position.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:28   #2720
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Does anyone know if there are any issues with a V6 being on its side (i.e. like a tower PC)? I can't see any ventilation on either side, just wondered about the hard disc reliability in an upright position.
No doubt CS will state that it should be flat at all times, but in all honesty you're unlikely to have any issues with it. Certainly the Hard drive will be fine, they work in any orientation as long as the box itself doesn't move around.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:02   #2721
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It should be fine. It contains a fan so doesn't rely on convection cooling, and as Kushan says, hard drives work any way up.

Just be careful not to put it where it could get knocked over.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:11   #2722
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It should be fine. It contains a fan so doesn't rely on convection cooling, and as Kushan says, hard drives work any way up.

Just be careful not to put it where it could get knocked over.
Thanks for the advice, chaps.

I've just posted my initial comments and impressions of the V6 on my VMHD blog. Here they are for the Cable Forum audience:

I had my two TiVo boxes swapped yesterday for a pair of V6s. Here are my initial observations:

The Installation:
  1. It’s a pretty straightforward hardware swap – the most time-consuming part is when the engineer has to call VM to activate the boxes. Our man was on hold for around 15 minutes. As always, the hold music emanating from his mobile was dire…
  2. Total time to install both boxes was under half an hour
  3. The speed of the V6 makes the configuration a doddle. My boxes did three software downloads, each faster than the previous
  4. The EPG was fully populated within the hour – I seem to recall this could take several hours with the TiVos and even longer with the V+
  5. I’ve got one V6 wired to my router using Ethernet. (My router is a SuperHub 2 in modem mode, connected to an Apple Time Capsule for reliable Wi-Fi coverage.) Our second V6 is just on the Wi-Fi, which meant it took a little longer to do the downloads as my Wi-Fi speed drop in the evenings (it was around 75mbps during the install). I didn’t have to hardwire the second box before the Wi-Fi option appeared – it just worked
  6. Overall, I was impressed. Our engineer didn’t know much about the new box and it was the end of his shift and my dinner was ready so I ushered him out of the door rather than have him attempt instruction. Besides, it's always more fun to play...
The V6:
  1. My two TiVos weren’t as sluggish as some people’s but even after a few hours I couldn’t go back. Has anyone else noticed how unbelievably nippy and snappy the V6 is?? I’m seriously impressed, and TiVo software running at this speed suddenly feels lively and modern
  2. If the V6 was the same size as the old TiVo then the design of the new hardware would feel like a throwback to the old cable boxes of the nineties, but it ain’t – it’s about half the width and it almost disappears in my TV stand. In fact the second box I’ve put on its side and tucked away behind the TV, so you can’t even see it
  3. Connecting the two boxes so they can share recordings works faultlessly
  4. Streaming to my iPad works fine too
  5. The TV Anywhere iOS applications no longer seem to have the connectivity issues I was experiencing with the TiVos
  6. The engineer left both of my original remotes as well as the new, which work fine with the V6s so I have spares now which is useful. The new remotes automatically control my Sony TVs, which saved me having to do that remote code fun and games to get the volume and on/off buttons working
  7. Overall, I’m impressed and delighted with the new boxes. Well done Virgin Media!
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:15   #2723
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Thanks for the advice, chaps.

I've just posted my initial comments and impressions of the V6 on my VMHD blog. Here they are for the Cable Forum audience:

I had my two TiVo boxes swapped yesterday for a pair of V6s...[/LIST]
That's an encouraging read. I've just traded my two TiVos for a pair of V6s (installation scheduled for 1st of February) and I hope my experience is as painless - or perhaps even more so as both my TiVos are hard-wired.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 17:58   #2724
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
That's an encouraging read. I've just traded my two TiVos for a pair of V6s (installation scheduled for 1st of February) and I hope my experience is as painless - or perhaps even more so as both my TiVos are hard-wired.
I doubt that you will be disappointed. I can't believe how good they are.
Old 21-01-2017, 07:17   #2725
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I doubt that you will be disappointed. I can't believe how good they are.
Good grief more then one post of positivity in a day by you OB.
Old 24-01-2017, 16:21   #2726
bantamboy
Inactive

bantamboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had my V6 installed, upstairs as a de-facto second box. Engineer arrived and asked why I wanted it there and not in place of the Tivo. I explained that the hub was near the Tivo so I could Ethernet connect it, in order to link the boxes together, and he looked at me blankly. Wasn't aware that the boxes were networkable, didn't know that as long as they were both connected to the network I could watch Tivo content on the V6 and vice versa. Phoned his supervisor to ask, he'd no idea either. Plugged it all in, connected to wifi and having looked in the manual he'd given me I navigated to the bottom of "My shows" and there's the downstairs Tivo showing. "Well, you've taught me something there" he says. Nice fella and everything, he'd undergone installation training but they'd obviously not told him why it needs to be connected to the network (other than to download the TiVo programme info, which is what he told me).
bantamboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 07:18   #2727
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have come across a issue and its i have recorded Football on 5 from the weekend and it wont let me delete it.

when i go to delete it i get the circle in middle of screen then it just goes back to my planner with the show still there.

has anyone come across this?
love Virgin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:36   #2728
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 View Post
i have come across a issue and its i have recorded Football on 5 from the weekend and it wont let me delete it.

when i go to delete it i get the circle in middle of screen then it just goes back to my planner with the show still there.

has anyone come across this?
Have you tried deleting it by pressing 'clear' in the 'My Shows' list? If this doesn't work, give it a re-boot and try again.
Old 26-01-2017, 03:04   #2729
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Have you tried deleting it by pressing 'clear' in the 'My Shows' list? If this doesn't work, give it a re-boot and try again.
Thankyou

I gave it a reboot and it has now deleted it.

Hope this is not a bug or something.
love Virgin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 10:23   #2730
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 View Post
Thankyou

I gave it a reboot and it has now deleted it.

Hope this is not a bug or something.
Undocumented feature.