Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

Old 15-04-2019, 21:46   #16
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

Probably looking at something like 1bn is needed to rebuild it back to original features
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2019, 21:56   #17
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Good point here: https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/statu...68998027165696

Quote:
I hope the terrible news from Paris serves as a wake up call re the Palace of Westminster which is an inferno waiting to happen.
Time to move MPs out temporarily and properly renovate it. I don't like the idea of turning it in a museum, I would rather they keep it, but MPs can cross to the QE2 centre for 5 years or so....
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 23:21   #18
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Oh those beautiful Rose Windows..They were so spectacular..
Old 16-04-2019, 09:34   #19
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I was at York Minster the other week, which was famously struck by lightning and partially burned down in 1984. The tour guide told us that between a third and a half of all the surviving medieval glass in Europe was in the windows at the Minster. That proportion is now somewhat higher (though much of ND’s glass actually dated from the 18th and 19th centuries).

York Minster lost only the roof of its south transcept whereas ND seems to have lost the lot. The Minster’s South Transcept roof took 4 years to replace and includes the Blue Peter Boss, which depicts an astronaut and the moon. And on that point - it’s easy to look at these buildings and see them as ancient monuments, literally set in stone and unchanging. They aren’t - they took centuries to build, and often sit on top of the foundations of earlier church buildings that have all but vanished. Once completed in their present form their interiors are constantly being altered, added to or conserved or restored. Nobody wanted this to happen to ND but the building will survive and this will become a part of its history, just as I was able to point out the Blue Peter Boss to my kids and tell them that story.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 23:34   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Too soon?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4C882EC9-2E7A-4B13-8573-F064E24035DC.jpeg (122.2 KB, 25 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 08:15   #21
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Interesting perspective from Janet Street-Porter.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/16/janet...verty-9222172/

Janet added: ‘But on the other hand, the fire that really shocked me was Grenfell Tower, so let’s not detract from that because that was truly horrible because of all the people inside. ‘So yeah, I was sad to see it [Notre-Dame] burn down but I don’t want to necessarily see it rebuilt.’ Host Andrea noted that Janet ‘touched on a really good point’ and spoke about the worldwide fundraising campaign that’s been set up, announcing that two of France’s richest men have donated €300 million towards the cause. ‘I think you’re right Janet, it does make you think – people are coming together to rebuild an iconic building but there are some incredibly worthy causes out there that people don’t rush to throw hundreds of millions of euros at,’ she agreed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:58   #22
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Interesting perspective from Janet Street-Porter.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/16/janet...verty-9222172/

Janet added: ‘But on the other hand, the fire that really shocked me was Grenfell Tower, so let’s not detract from that because that was truly horrible because of all the people inside. ‘So yeah, I was sad to see it [Notre-Dame] burn down but I don’t want to necessarily see it rebuilt.’ Host Andrea noted that Janet ‘touched on a really good point’ and spoke about the worldwide fundraising campaign that’s been set up, announcing that two of France’s richest men have donated €300 million towards the cause. ‘I think you’re right Janet, it does make you think – people are coming together to rebuild an iconic building but there are some incredibly worthy causes out there that people don’t rush to throw hundreds of millions of euros at,’ she agreed.
Meh.

I think helping to maintain an important historical landmark for future generations is a very worthy cause. Don't really see the need for the comparison with Grenfell either, they're two different tragedies.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:40   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Meh.

I think helping to maintain an important historical landmark for future generations is a very worthy cause. Don't really see the need for the comparison with Grenfell either, they're two different tragedies.
There were human fatalities at Grenfell. I think that is an important distinction.

The BBC spent more than 15 minutes reporting the Notre Dame fire on its main news bulletin last night. A bit over the top to report on a fire in a cathedral for that length of time when there are far more important things in the world they could have been reporting on. People are more important than buildings, regrettable that it is that the fire did this damage.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:50   #24
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There were human fatalities at Grenfell. I think that is an important distinction.
But it's not one or the other. Why the need to compare them?

Quote:
The BBC spent more than 15 minutes reporting the Notre Dame fire on its main news bulletin last night. A bit over the top to report on a fire in a cathedral for that length of time when there are far more important things in the world they could have been reporting on. People are more important than buildings, regrettable that it is that the fire did this damage.
It's an historical building that's 800 years old which has been badly damaged. The fire at St Pauls and it's rebuilding during the Great Fire is still, 300 years later, a important part in the history of London. People around the world knew of Notre Dame long before we were here and people will remember the fire long after we're gone.

A few days on that isn't too much coverage IMO.
Old 17-04-2019, 13:25   #25
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

^This.

It is too easy to fill cheap column inches with angry comment that makes trite, binary arguments about whether we should do one thing or another, or spend money on this or that.
Old 17-04-2019, 20:24   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

On the other hand, its just an old building that burned down, something that probably happens everyday somewhere in the world. From my POV I dont consider it "Tragic", just a bit unfortunate for the owners. You would think it would be insured as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 20:51   #27
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
On the other hand, its just an old building that burned down, something that probably happens everyday somewhere in the world. From my POV I dont consider it "Tragic", just a bit unfortunate for the owners. You would think it would be insured as well.
It's not any old building though, it's Notre-Dame. It's the French equivalent of Parliament or Buckingham Palace burning down. Any other old building doesn't have that history or significance in French and Western culture, not to mention Catholicism for whom Notre-Dame has to be one of the most ironic sites outside of Rome. I think it is pretty tragic as a result.

I am not sure who owns it. I assume the French state does. I am not even sure if any insurance company would take on something like Notre-Dame, it's invaluable really.
Old 17-04-2019, 23:30   #28
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Thankfully there are enough people with an understanding of the place “old” buildings have in history and national life and a will to preserve them.

If buildings only a third of the age of this one had been pulled down, or weren’t maintained just because they were old, our own towns and cities would be very dull places.

850 years, by the way, is older than most countries in existence today. As a means of understanding Europe and its history, places like Notre Dame are invaluable.
Old 18-04-2019, 00:32   #29
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

^
This...

My local church (which my wife and children have attended for 30 years, and where my daughter was married) was started in 1150, and built upon the foundations of a previous wooden church from 1089 - the history is what makes it important.

(I’m not religious (lapsed RC), but it has a great sense of community).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 15:37   #30
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

At least the bees survived.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/19/e...9T14%3A20%3A03
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote