Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 18-08-2019, 19:16   #196
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
That was my first port of call! I listened. It doesn't apply in a sensible way.

I entered my details. My fair use amount is 0Mb. As I keep saying I have an unlimited SIM. My Virgin Mobile plan costs £0.00. It is subsumed within the cost of my Oomph package. That nominal £27.00 you suggested I apply doesn't work if there is an "I have Unlimited Data" box to check.

Attachment 28002

Attachment 28003
Going by VMs own terms and conditions you SHOULD be getting charged for most of those GBs as it is over your fair usage, but according to the same conditions your data usage while roaming should be capped at £51.50 unless you told them otherwise so this is all very confusing?

https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin...ng-abroad.html
Old 18-08-2019, 19:18   #197
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I've already linked this to you, I'm trying to help, if you don't want to listen then that's up to you.

https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

I entered my details. My fair use amount is 0Mb. As I keep saying I have an unlimited SIM. My Virgin Mobile plan costs £0.00. It is subsumed within the cost of my Oomph package. That nominal £27.00 you suggested I apply doesn't work if there is an "I have Unlimited Data" box to check. Where would a typical punter glean that £27 from anyway?

Attachment 28002

Attachment 28003
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 19:20   #198
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

To be fair I can't see how that can apply to Roughbeast because they have designed it to make it applicable and usable only by customers who have a standalone mobile contract and there is no way roughbeast could use that as a tool to plan in advance. If your sim is part of a bundle then it doesn't have a cost. It is the same as when I tried ringing up years ago to ask them how much my BB costs because I was shopping around comparing prices and they told me they couldn't give me a cost because it is in a bundle with tv and phone and I pay for the bundle which costs £xxx.

I hope this is something they are going to be challenged on anyway because I have just used the calculator out of curiosity to see if putting in the bundle cost could be used as an argument to justify the data limit but if you put in £100/month with a normal 50gb allowance that only gives you 42gb under the FUP which is about 1.5gb/day which is shit. You can't say something is unlimited and then cap people to 1.5gb/day. If I ever got charged for anything I would be straight off to Ofcom and the ASA and say when they send you the contract through and any correspondence the onus is them on make it crystal clear that "the "unlimited" service has a user specific data limit based on monthly rental and your data limit is ....." This is just as bad as back in 2009 when VM advertised unlimited BB but sent customers letter saying they were using it too much.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 19:24   #199
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I entered my details. My fair use amount is 0Mb. As I keep saying I have an unlimited SIM. My Virgin Mobile plan costs £0.00. It is subsumed within the cost of my Oomph package. That nominal £27.00 you suggested I apply doesn't work if there is an "I have Unlimited Data" box to check.

Attachment 28002

Attachment 28003
You're not listening. It's not unlimited when roaming, there is a fair usage policy. You put in £32 (not £27 as I previously stated as the cost as gone up). The £32 is the cost of the unlimited sim from VM, the same one you have in the oomph package which you pay for just as a package.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 19:30   #200
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am with roughbeast on this. If you looks at the T&C's it says:

Quote:
If you are roaming in the EU, you also need to comply with our roam like home policy
and the roam at home policy says:

Quote:
You can now use your UK allowance anywhere in the EU with Roam Like Home. This means that while you’re travelling in an EU country you can use your UK allowance of Minutes, Texts and Data, just as you would in the UK subject to fair use limits.

If you’re on one of our 4G plans and roaming in the EU, you’ll connect to a 4G roaming service where available.

If your allowance has run out, you can still use your mobile wherever you are in the EU and pay no more for your Minutes, Texts and Data than you would in the UK, subject to fair use limits
he hasn't got an allowance to start off with so he can't exceed his allowance therefore a FUP policy cannot apply.
Old 18-08-2019, 19:33   #201
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You're not listening. It's not unlimited when roaming, there is a fair usage policy. You put in £32 (not £27 as I previously stated as the cost as gone up). The £32 is the cost of the unlimited sim from VM, the same one you have in the oomph package which you pay for just as a package.
Listening intently!!

Where is the typical punter going to glean that £27 (Now £32) from? It isn't in any of the upfront literature. If it was that critical it would be in the package headlines.

BTW: Thank you General Maximus!
Old 18-08-2019, 19:38   #202
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Listening intently!!

Where is the typical punter going to glean that £27 (Now £32) from? It isn't in any of the upfront literature. If it was that critical it would be in the package headlines.

BTW: Thank you General Maximus!
Does it say fair use limits apply?
Old 18-08-2019, 19:40   #203
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I don't think it's Virgin's intention to allow use in the manner roughbeast has so it'll be interesting to see if he is billed (and if he wins the argument).
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 19:40   #204
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am with roughbeast on this. If you looks at the T&C's it says:

and the roam at home policy says:

he hasn't got an allowance to start off with so he can't exceed his allowance therefore a FUP policy cannot apply.
Of course the FUP can apply.

https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html
Old 18-08-2019, 20:09   #205
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Does it say fair use limits apply?
no it doesn't and I have looked in the small print on that page and all other pages. The FUP policy and calculator clearly applies to contracts which have a stipulated data allowance to use and which can be exceeded.

If you click on the "what if I go over my data allowance" you get

Quote:
Text alerts

We’ll always give you a friendly text before you get too close to your limit when you’ve used 75% of your data, 95%, and then 100%.

£3 per day for each GB you use

But if you do go over, we’ll only charge you £3 per GB for each day you use mobile internet on your phone. Not bad, eh?
That is never going to apply to the unlimited sim because there isn't an allowance top exceed. If you look at the T&C's at the bottom of the page there is no information regarding a fair usage policy or a monthly guideline for the unlimited sim. All it says is:

Quote:
If your use exceeds your monthly allowance you will be charged at the out-of-bundle rate of £3 a day per GB for each day that you use data
and for more info look at the legal stuff. If you have a look at the Acceptable Usage Policy for the mobile service there is no mention of any limits. I am not going to copy it all but basically it says that if they deem your use to be disproportionately excessive then they can suspend your service. I have read through the whole legal T&C's for the mobiles as well and there isn't anything in there either.

All their info on charges and the FUP calculator is geared around customers who have a contract with a data a specified data allowance.

Quote:
Of course the FUP can apply.
No it can't. It probably should but it can't. Even if you click on the help button in the FUP link it takes you to the page which I copied and pasted from earlier and all the information, warnings and charges are guidance for customers who have a specified data allowance. Nowhere on any page on the VM site is there is any information with regards to allowances, limits, fair usage, charges or anything else for the unlimited sim. A Fair Usage Policy probably should exist for the unlimited sim and they'll probably end up making one to deal with rare occurrences like this when they get hit with a massive charge but at the moment one doesn't exist and they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Last edited by General Maximus; 18-08-2019 at 20:15.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:17   #206
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If my mobile bill is £0.00 with unlimited data then my Fair Use allowance is 0MB. How do you apply 0MB? In the real world, that means FUP doesn't affect my account?

Given that most of my time abroad has now been accounted for and there is no charge, what catch-up is going to haunt me later? My detailed / itemised bill showed that each item cost £0.00 right up to the 12th August bill refresh date. Also, I got no data warnings from Virgin Mobile. My bill was £0.00. The three days since then have already exceeded your suggested allowanceof £13.75. All items, even ones of 2GB+ on our last day in Greece are shown as £0.00. There is no legal way of changing that! It has been declared. This is not a case of some non-EU network operator in Asia or Africa informing Virgin of usage and costs a few months later. The usage and cost have already been declared, i.e. £0.00.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:34   #207
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
no it doesn't and I have looked in the small print on that page and all other pages. The FUP policy and calculator clearly applies to contracts which have a stipulated data allowance to use and which can be exceeded.

If you click on the "what if I go over my data allowance" you get

That is never going to apply to the unlimited sim because there isn't an allowance top exceed. If you look at the T&C's at the bottom of the page there is no information regarding a fair usage policy or a monthly guideline for the unlimited sim. All it says is:

and for more info look at the legal stuff. If you have a look at the Acceptable Usage Policy for the mobile service there is no mention of any limits. I am not going to copy it all but basically it says that if they deem your use to be disproportionately excessive then they can suspend your service. I have read through the whole legal T&C's for the mobiles as well and there isn't anything in there either.

All their info on charges and the FUP calculator is geared around customers who have a contract with a data a specified data allowance.

No it can't. It probably should but it can't. Even if you click on the help button in the FUP link it takes you to the page which I copied and pasted from earlier and all the information, warnings and charges are guidance for customers who have a specified data allowance. Nowhere on any page on the VM site is there is any information with regards to allowances, limits, fair usage, charges or anything else for the unlimited sim. A Fair Usage Policy probably should exist for the unlimited sim and they'll probably end up making one to deal with rare occurrences like this when they get hit with a massive charge but at the moment one doesn't exist and they haven't got a leg to stand on.
I'm not sure why people in life seem to want to make things difficult.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...-european-zone.

"You can now use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data anywhere in the EU, just as you would at home – subject to fair use limits."

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...conditions.pdf E-11-1 for the oomph bundles.

"11. Roaming 1. Our mobile services may be made available to you in countries outside of the UK if we or the partner who provides us with our mobile network have roaming agreements in place. Please check your roaming settings via your account online and ensure that data is turned on via the mobile handset. If you are roaming in the EU, you also need to comply with our roam like home policy. The costs for outside of allowance for EU use and additional services that allow roaming outside of the EU are set out in our tariff table or are available from our team. Overseas network operators may bill us some time after you use the mobile services – sometimes up to three months later, accordingly there may be a delay in when such charges show up on your bill. Please be aware that when you use your phone outside of the EU charges will apply."

"Roam like home

the use of your inclusive minutes, texts and data allowance in your airtime plan while roaming in the EU. Fair Use Policy applies https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff."

Last edited by Mythica; 18-08-2019 at 20:39.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:37   #208
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don't think it's Virgin's intention to allow use in the manner roughbeast has so it'll be interesting to see if he is billed (and if he wins the argument).
I think they must have thought this through. I will not have been the only one to have travelled in the EU since the Oomph package launched. I will not have been the only one to have exceeded all possible limits by a mile and not been charged. The launch was just before the holiday season after all.

Quote:
You took the words from my mouth.

Last edited by roughbeast; 18-08-2019 at 20:42.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:39   #209
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...-european-zone.

"You can now use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data anywhere in the EU, just as you would at home – subject to fair use limits."

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...conditions.pdf E-11-1 for the oomph bundles.

"11. Roaming 1. Our mobile services may be made available to you in countries outside of the UK if we or the partner who provides us with our mobile network have roaming agreements in place. Please check your roaming settings via your account online and ensure that data is turned on via the mobile handset. If you are roaming in the EU, you also need to comply with our roam like home policy. The costs for outside of allowance for EU use and additional services that allow roaming outside of the EU are set out in our tariff table or are available from our team. Overseas network operators may bill us some time after you use the mobile services – sometimes up to three months later, accordingly there may be a delay in when such charges show up on your bill. Please be aware that when you use your phone outside of the EU charges will apply."

"Roam like home

the use of your inclusive minutes, texts and data allowance in your airtime plan while roaming in the EU. Fair Use Policy applies https://store. virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff."
If that is the case then his data should be capped at £50.50 unless he has previously asked for it not to be?
Old 18-08-2019, 20:41   #210
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think they must have thought this through. I will not have been the only one to have travelled in the EU since the Oomph package launched. I will not have been the only one to have exceeded all possible limits by a mile. The launch was just before the holiday season after all.
You have more faith in Virgin than I do

I expect they’ll try to charge you (but hope they don’t). You’ve got reasonable arguments to make if they didn’t text you to say you’ve hit the threshold.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote