Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 28-07-2019, 01:27   #1471
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
They haven’t though.

BT subscribers are, some day, getting Now TV as an optional add on. Why would Virgin essentially allow Sky to retail Now TV on its platform when it’d devalue Virgin’s own top packages? The two situations aren’t comparable.

BT subscribers are getting something they don’t have at present.
Virgin customers would be given an alternative way to purchase Sky’s basic (and premium) channels than from Virgin themselves.

If Virgin were going down that route why enter this carriage agreement at all?
I am not of the view that Now TV will be on the VM platform.

However, the programmes from that channel MAY eventually be on our on demand system.

On the other hand, they may not!

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Quote:
They haven’t though.

BT subscribers are, some day, getting Now TV as an optional add on. Why would Virgin essentially allow Sky to retail Now TV on its platform when it’d devalue Virgin’s own top packages? The two situations aren’t comparable.

Virgin customers would be given an alternative way to purchase Sky’s basic (and premium) channels than from Virgin themselves.

Well not yet, but it was supposed to happen before the next football seasonThat seems to have been delayed for technical reasons, but they will get it.

I am sure that if Virgin could resolve the impasse regarding SA by getting the on demand content, that would be sufficient..

---------- Post added at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

Quote:
I agree Sky want to monetise their content but it’s flawed to assume that doing so involves putting it out there on a platform neutral basis.

If they lost tens of thousands of subscribers in an already challenging market to, for example, Virgin’s top package right now because it’s own platform had no unique selling point it’d massively backfire.
Maybe Sky has calculated that they will get more from being on the VM platform.

You're the magic economist, you tell us!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2019, 02:33   #1472
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They haven’t though.

It would be like how virgin media has netflix and amazon prime apps though which they don't gain money from? its literally being able to brag that customers have access to all content via V6 tivo box.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 03:52   #1473
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
It would be like how virgin media has netflix and amazon prime apps though which they don't gain money from? its literally being able to brag that customers have access to all content via V6 tivo box.
Well no, Virgin aren’t trying to sell packages themselves with much of the same content as Prime or Netflix in it.

---------- Post added at 02:52 ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe Sky has calculated that they will get more from being on the VM platform.

You're the magic economist, you tell us!
If Sky did calculate that then it’d be on Virgin right now. Not in three months or six months after the renewal of a major carriage deal.

It’s been eight years. I don’t see how the next three or six months are of any strategic significance to the extent some hush hush agreement is in place between the two.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 11:30   #1474
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well no, Virgin aren’t trying to sell packages themselves with much of the same content as Prime or Netflix in it.

---------- Post added at 02:52 ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 ----------

If Sky did calculate that then it’d be on Virgin right now. Not in three months or six months after the renewal of a major carriage deal.

It’s been eight years. I don’t see how the next three or six months are of any strategic significance to the extent some hush hush agreement is in place between the two.
Just like Now TV should join the BT platform right now
Old 28-07-2019, 11:36   #1475
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

If's , but's and maybes your posts always follow the same path with absolutely zero credible sources of information to back up what you are saying and then think others are being hostile for quizzing you on what you say.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 11:40   #1476
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just like Now TV should join the BT platform right now
If any of this were plausible, which of course it isn’t, and I were a Sky shareholder I’d be asking why Sky’s “lucrative” revenue streams from Virgin are dependent on a third party (BT) being able to resell Now TV?
Old 28-07-2019, 12:04   #1477
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If's , but's and maybes your posts always follow the same path with absolutely zero credible sources of information to back up what you are saying and then think others are being hostile for quizzing you on what you say.
We are discussing possibilities, not certainties here. Isn't that what a discussion forum does?

I am not saying it will happen, I am speculating that it might happen.

---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
If any of this were plausible, which of course it isn’t, and I were a Sky shareholder I’d be asking why Sky’s “lucrative” revenue streams from Virgin are dependent on a third party (BT) being able to resell Now TV?
You have more questions than answers, jfman. It's a wonder anything happens in this world with you around.
Old 28-07-2019, 12:07   #1478
jfman
Architect of Ideas

We know you don’t like being tested on your, often incredible, thoughts Old Boy. That’s what makes it most fun.

“It’s a wonder anything happens”, the implication that I’m wasting time. Can I just make the observation that it’s your persistent denial of reality that keeps this thread discussing what most of us see as an obviously settled matter?

Last edited by jfman; 28-07-2019 at 12:23.
Old 28-07-2019, 14:26   #1479
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
We know you don’t like being tested on your, often incredible, thoughts Old Boy. That’s what makes it most fun.

“It’s a wonder anything happens”, the implication that I’m wasting time. Can I just make the observation that it’s your persistent denial of reality that keeps this thread discussing what most of us see as an obviously settled matter?
Like why would Virgin want Netflix on its platform? Or Amazon? Or Amazon channels? All of these arguments have been put forward in the past by people disagreeing with me that this will come about.

You forget that not every decision made by media companies follow your neat little package of ideas based on simplistic economic models such as 'this will cost the company £x and they will offer it to customers at £y and this makes it unviable'. There are many factors that are considered when making decisions such as these. Most of your arguments centre around very simple economic calculations when actually situations tend to be much more complex. It seems to me that you fail to factor in some very obvious considerations in your arguments, such as the additional revenue that can be made from attracting new customers. I have been saying for a long time that having all these services accessible and searchable from one box is an advantage and companies who offer such services will benefit from being able to offer all that content. Clearly, BT, Virgin Media and a reluctant Sky appreciate that now.

Roku is a good example of how people are attracted to a platform that offers a huge range of streaming services.
Old 28-07-2019, 14:39   #1480
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Like why would Virgin want Netflix on its platform? Or Amazon? Or Amazon channels? All of these arguments have been put forward in the past by people disagreeing with me that this will come about.
None of those had emphatic press releases about content deals that deliberately failed to mention them.

Quote:
You forget that not every decision made by media companies follow your neat little package of ideas based on simplistic economic models such as 'this will cost the company £x and they will offer it to customers at £y and this makes it unviable'. There are many factors that are considered when making decisions such as these. Most of your arguments centre around very simple economic calculations when actually situations tend to be much more complex. It seems to me that you fail to factor in some very obvious considerations in your arguments, such as the additional revenue that can be made from attracting new customers. I have been saying for a long time that having all these services accessible and searchable from one box is an advantage and companies who offer such services will benefit from being able to offer all that content. Clearly, BT, Virgin Media and a reluctant Sky appreciate that now.

Roku is a good example of how people are attracted to a platform that offers a huge range of streaming services.
Literally every single capitalist decision does follow a simplistic economic model - the straightforward profit seeking motive. The only bit of variance relates to a) market share or b) long term decision making.

I don't know how you can reasonably say I fail to consider the ability to gain new customers. Indeed, a straightforward reading of post 1464 sees me apply such insight into Sky Atlantic not coming to Virgin Media.
Old 28-07-2019, 18:34   #1481
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

We have found over the weekend that Virgin Media UK has removed the RED BUTTON from Good Food, Good Food HD, Good Food +1, Home and Home +1.

But their logos has NOT been removed yet from UKTV on Demand.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Media Boy Views: Sky Cinema SD Channels to close on August 1st on Virgin Media UK.

Media Boy HQ thinks that Virgin Media will axe Sky Cinema SD Channels (Channels 431 - 442) this week.

The axe may come as early as Tuesday or Wednesday but we 60% feel it will happen on August 1st.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 20:11   #1482
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We have found over the weekend that Virgin Media UK has removed the RED BUTTON from Good Food, Good Food HD, Good Food +1, Home and Home +1.

But their logos has NOT been removed yet from UKTV on Demand.
The 'red button' has also been removed from Yesterday, Yesterday +1, Eden and Eden +1.

This is because the On Demand and Catch Up content for these channels was removed from Virgin Media following the dispute with UKTV.

The logos for all of these channels were removed from the UKTV Play menu on Virgin Media at the same time.

Catch Up content for Yesterday has since returned, but it has not been put back on the UKTV Play menu, however you can access it in the main Catch Up section.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 20:18   #1483
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
The 'red button' has also been removed from Yesterday, Yesterday +1, Eden and Eden +1.

This is because the On Demand and Catch Up content for these channels was removed from Virgin Media following the dispute with UKTV.

The logos for all of these channels were removed from the UKTV Play menu on Virgin Media at the same time.

Catch Up content for Yesterday has since returned, but it has not been put back on the UKTV Play menu, however you can access it in the main Catch Up section.
The red button was on Good Food and Home Channels when we last look about two weeks ago.

Really, Good Food and Home Channels was given to Discovery by BBC Studios as part of the "UKTV break up".
Old 28-07-2019, 21:32   #1484
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
VM make money from Netflix, but only if people sign up via VM. I assume it will be the same for Amazon.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
The red button was on Good Food and Home Channels when we last look about two weeks ago.

Really, Good Food and Home Channels was given to Discovery by BBC Studios as part of the "UKTV break up".
Maybe this is a pre-emptive move as Discovery make changes to the channels that they now have 100% control of?
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 21:44   #1485
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Maybe this is a pre emptive move as Discovery make changes to the channels that they now have 100% control of?
Well Discovery has move Home (on Freeview) and Good Food (on Sky) to higher channels number to give Quest (on Freeview) and TLC (on Sky) the lower channel number.

Moves on Freeview:

12. Dave (BBC give slot to Discovery) > Home (Was moved from channel 25 by Discovery) > Quest (Home end up at Channel 42)

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/06/why-...s-changed.html

Moves on Sky:

133. was Good Food > Now TLC

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/disc...ls-on-sky.html