Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router password question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router password question

Old 29-11-2012, 10:38   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Router password question

Is there an easy way to remove (as opposed to change or overwrite) the stored router password on a given computer? When I set up our PC's to access our DLink 615 router I had to create and enter a password and since then this has been stored on each PC. I would like to remove this feature from one of our PCs so that the code has to be entered each time the internet is accessed.

Many thanks as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2012, 10:39   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router password question

Are you talking about the Wireless WPA key or the admin password for the router interface? Also what OS is the PC using?
Old 29-11-2012, 11:19   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

The machine is an Asus laptop running win 7. TBH I'm not sure what the code is called but it's what have to enter the first time you try to connect a new device to the internet via the router. WPA key possibly? The code appears to be stored automatically on each PC/device so you don't need to enter it each time you connect.

Thanks.
Old 29-11-2012, 11:39   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Follow this page to get to the 'Manage Wireless networks' option http://www.groovypost.com/howto/micr...-in-windows-7/

and then just remove the network name you no longer want to automatically connect to
Old 29-11-2012, 11:54   #5
Osem
Inactive

OK thanks for that.

Am I right in thinking that if I do this, though, the next time that PC is connected to the router and the WPA code entered manually, it'll just be stored again? Is there a way to prevent the key being automatically stored in the first place? When I checked out "Manage Wireless Networks" on the computer I'm using now, it lists my router/network and states the mode is "Connect Automatically". I'm thinking this is the problem but can't find a way to change the mode. What I'm wanting to do is to be able to control internet access via the other machine by requiring the key to be entered manually each time a connection is attempted. I'm not wanting to control access to the machine itself.

Many thanks.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:01   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
OK thanks for that.

Am I right in thinking that if I do this, though, the next time the PC is connected to the router and the WPA code engtered manually, it'll just be stored again? Is there a way to prevent the key being automatically stored in the first place? What I'm wanting to do is to be able to control internet access via that machine, not access to the machine itself.

Many thanks.
You might be configure the stored network profile to always ask for the WPA key instead of removing the profile completely. Although I'm not 100% sure as it's not something I've ever done
Old 29-11-2012, 12:07   #7
Osem
Inactive

OK well thanks for your help, I'll carry on searching.
Maybe somene else can assist with this. I know it's very convenient to connect automatically but I can't believe there isn't a way of overriding this.
Old 29-11-2012, 17:43   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

It's easy. Don't click "Connect automatically" when entering the password.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:33   #9
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It's easy. Don't click "Connect automatically" when entering the password.
TBH, I don't recall seeing that option when I first connected the laptop to the router using the key/password. Anyway at that time I didn't know I might want to do this so probably would have just accepted the default 'connect automatically' option as it's easier.

When I made the OP, I imagined it'd be a simple job to get the laptop in question to 'forget' the password and require it to be entered manually every time for internet access but sadly I haven't found a way to do that yet which I find quite odd.
Old 03-12-2012, 21:45   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

We've already told you how to do exactly that?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote