Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multi analogue channel freeview?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Multi analogue channel freeview?

Old 06-10-2008, 22:02   #1
MowerMan42
Inactive

MowerMan42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Multi analogue channel freeview?

Hi everybody

I understand that a standard Freeview STB will recieve whatever Freeview channels are vailable in my area, and output the selected channel on analogue UHF channel 38 (or whatever) so my standard analogue TV can recieve it.

I am after a STB that will recieve the Freeview channels, and output selected channels to DIFFERENT UHF channels, so that (after set-up) the STB box could be forgotten about (left down the back of the TV or whatever), and the TV will operate as it does now IE BBC1 will get DIGITAL BBC1, via the STB, which has mapped it onto the UHF channel that BBC1 occupies at present. Same for BBC2, ITV, etc. Unused analogue presets on the TV would then be used to get a user-selected sub-set of Freeview channels on the old TV.

From a technical point of view, this should not be difficult, and would mean that people such as my elderly parents would not have to re-learn how to operate their TV (let alone re-tunng their VCR.....)

Does such a box exist?
MowerMan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2008, 22:38   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Multi analogue channel freeview?

Most Freeview boxes I know don't output on UHF but instead via SCART.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 22:41   #3
kryogenik

Ditto that.
If it's got a UHF output, is there no frequency trimmer on the back (looks like a screw)?
If so, you can change the output channel this way.
Might be one on the inside tho - but I don't recommend you open it up if you're not sure what you're doing.
Old 06-10-2008, 22:48   #4
MowerMan42
Inactive

Thanks kryo - but the point is to have multiple channels available IE BBC1 on 38, BBC2 on 40 etc.....

Got 3 STB's that have SCART and UHF.

Opening the box not a problem. Gonna build what I want the hard way if I have to, but I don't want to spend time on it only to walk into Tesco next week and find the same thing on sale for £29.99....
Old 06-10-2008, 23:04   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

For it to work, at the very least, you'd need multiple MPEG2 decoders, and a way of encoding multple RF signals on different frequencies.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 23:06   #6
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMan42 View Post
Thanks kryo - but the point is to have multiple channels available IE BBC1 on 38, BBC2 on 40 etc.....

Got 3 STB's that have SCART and UHF.
Sorry chief - went back and re-read your post.
Sounds a tall order to me.
Old 06-10-2008, 23:09   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Surely any TV with inbuilt Freeview is easy to use. i.e press 1 for BBC 1, 2 for BBC 2 etc. You don't have to go fishing around in the EPG if you don't need to.
Old 06-10-2008, 23:18   #8
MowerMan42
Inactive

Stuart C - Agreed. Would need to decode a number of channels simultaneously, and combine them into a single UHF feed.

Ben - true - but I was hoping to avoid replacing 4 TVs and 4 VCRs.
Old 06-10-2008, 23:23   #9
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Easy: multiple Freeview receivers with RF feedthrough - one for each channel.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 23:36   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There is this box http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/f2-foxt.asp that has an RF modulator (rather than just a passthrough), but it is £60!

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Apparently can do the following , so I assume you could tune each box to a seperate RF channel

- Modulator
RF/Loopthrough Input/ 75 D, IEC 169 - 2
Output Connector
Frequency 47 MHz ~ 862 MHz
Output Channel CH 21 - 69 for modulator
TV standard PAL B/G/I selectable by menu

Not quite sure how you would combine the signals, probably need several splitters in reverse
Old 06-10-2008, 23:37   #11
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

sounds like you want something that won't be an off the shelf consumer item you'd find in your local argos.etc

It wouldn't surprise me if such a thing existed (A DVB decoder with multiple inputs and Multiple UHF outputs) but I suspect if it did then it's aimed at the commercial market (E.g Hotels.etc where they need to take a feed and send it around multiple rooms). Probably wouldn't be cheap either.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 23:45   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

There is also this one from Humax that has an RF modulator (thought might have been replaced by the one above)

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/mg-tu1.asp
Old 06-10-2008, 23:59   #13
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
sounds like you want something that won't be an off the shelf consumer item you'd find in your local argos.etc

It wouldn't surprise me if such a thing existed (A DVB decoder with multiple inputs and Multiple UHF outputs) but I suspect if it did then it's aimed at the commercial market (E.g Hotels.etc where they need to take a feed and send it around multiple rooms). Probably wouldn't be cheap either.
I did find a few, but didn't post links as they had no prices (they wanted to quote), which in my experience, usually means they are expensive.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:15   #14
MowerMan42
Inactive

Thanks, guys.

I had thought of the multiple box with passthrough solution, but even the cheapo boxes at £15 each make for an expensive solution - and not sure if any of them have RF AND adjustable frequency output.

I hadn't thought about the commercial solutions - but I suspect they will be even more expensive!

If anybody knows of a better way, let me know!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Sorry but why can;t you just detune the TV's, wire in a freeview box each (they're only £15 from Asda, Tesco or Sainsburies)

My mother and mother-in-law can use a freeview remote and they're both major technophobes
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote