Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2019, 16:23   #6106
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, some of them are, such as The Rook, which is the latest drama to screen on this channel. Actually, when I compare the content of the Virgin Media UHD channel with the current output of Sky Atlantic, the Virgin channel is far better, even though it is a primetime only channel. No commercials on it, either.

Not everyone wants to subscribe to Netflix and Prime, and therefore dramas from those sources, such as Bloodline, Start Up and House of Cards are still useful to have, covered by the pay tv cable subscription.
The point I'm making is Sky could just as easily negotiate with the rights holders of the shows (non exclusive) on there direct and add to its On Demand service.

Sky currently seem to be letting channels go not adding them.
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2019, 17:48   #6107
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yes, some of them are, such as The Rook, which is the latest drama to screen on this channel. Actually, when I compare the content of the Virgin Media UHD channel with the current output of Sky Atlantic, the Virgin channel is far better, even though it is a primetime only channel. No commercials on it, either.

Not everyone wants to subscribe to Netflix and Prime, and therefore dramas from those sources, such as Bloodline, Start Up and House of Cards are still useful to have, covered by the pay tv cable subscription.
It's an interesting point, with Sky Atlantic remaining an exclusive to Sky customers and Virgin TV Ultra HD the equivalent for Virgin Media customers.

The Rook and The Feed are the first exclusive content on Virgin TV Ultra HD, but as you say the Netflix shows have value for non Netflix subscribers.

Meanwhile, since the end of Game of Thones the ratings on Sky Atlantic have taken a complete nosedive...

May 0.82% > June 0.31% > July 0.17%

It's a shame that Virgin TV Ultra HD isn't available to all Virgin Media customers, not just the top tier ones, as it massively limits its potential audience, although I fully understand they are also trying to use it to get people upgrading.
Old 17-08-2019, 18:20   #6108
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Actually The Rook is not exclusive to VM it is part of Starz play which is also part of Amazon prime addon channels.
VMs UHD channel is indeed a welcome addition but it is shows that can be found on other services so far from exclusive i'm afraid.
If they wanted SKY and BT could make a offer to carry Starz play too, it is not a exclusive VM contract.
Old 17-08-2019, 18:56   #6109
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I can't find it in the Starzplay section on UK Amazon. It is in other countries.
The press releases imply the VM will show it before being available on Starzplay UK.

Last edited by ozsat; 17-08-2019 at 19:00.
Old 17-08-2019, 19:21   #6110
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Actually The Rook is not exclusive to VM it is part of Starz play which is also part of Amazon prime addon channels.
VMs UHD channel is indeed a welcome addition but it is shows that can be found on other services so far from exclusive i'm afraid.
If they wanted SKY and BT could make a offer to carry Starz play too, it is not a exclusive VM contract.
You're wrong there. The Rook is currently exclusive to VM in the UK, but on StarzPlay in other countries. The Rook is actually branded a 'Virgin Media Original' in the UK, just as The Feed is, which will be shown on Amazon Prime Video in other countries.
Old 17-08-2019, 19:38   #6111
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
https://www.libertyglobal.com/premie...ries-the-rook/

The new supernatural thriller, “The Rook”, co-produced by Liberty Global and Lionsgate, will premiere in Europe and the United States on June 30th.

The series, starring Emma Greenwell, Joely Richardson and Olivia Munn, will be shown exclusively to customers of Liberty Global’s European operations in the UK (Virgin Media), The Netherlands (Vodafone Ziggo), Belgium (Telenet) and Switzerland (UPC Switzerland), as well as to customers in some of Liberty Latin America’s markets in Latin America and the Caribbean.

It will also be available on Starz in the US and Canada, and on the STARZPLAY platform in Germany and Spain. Lionsgate holds worldwide rights to “The Rook” and is actively licensing the series to international buyers.
Old 17-08-2019, 19:43   #6112
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
You're wrong there. The Rook is currently exclusive to VM in the UK, but on StarzPlay in other countries. The Rook is actually branded a 'Virgin Media Original' in the UK, just as The Feed is, which will be shown on Amazon Prime Video in other countries.
Yes my apologies to OB, i use starz play usa.
That'll teach me to jump before i look lol.
Old 17-08-2019, 21:03   #6113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
True, I just wondered if Sky would want to beef up their UHD lineup in return for letting VM have their UHD content.
I think that would be a good thing to do in exchange for Sky Atlantic and the back catalogue on demand.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The point I'm making is Sky could just as easily negotiate with the rights holders of the shows (non exclusive) on there direct and add to its On Demand service.

Sky currently seem to be letting channels go not adding them.
They could, I guess, but they haven't done so.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Quote:
I haven't double-checked this, but I thought I had read that The Rook was exclusive to VM.

Happy to be corrected, though.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Yes my apologies to OB, i use starz play usa.
That'll teach me to jump before i look lol.
Ah, thanks, that explains it!
Old 17-08-2019, 22:05   #6114
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Ah the Sky Atlantic dream lives on.

The easiest way for Sky to beef up their UHD content is to just buy some.
Old 17-08-2019, 22:06   #6115
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ah the Sky Atlantic dream lives on.

The easiest way for Sky to beef up their UHD content is to just buy some.
Someone has had that dream for over 8 years now.
Old 18-08-2019, 00:50   #6116
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
It's an interesting point, with Sky Atlantic remaining an exclusive to Sky customers and Virgin TV Ultra HD the equivalent for Virgin Media customers.

The Rook and The Feed are the first exclusive content on Virgin TV Ultra HD, but as you say the Netflix shows have value for non Netflix subscribers.

Meanwhile, since the end of Game of Thones the ratings on Sky Atlantic have taken a complete nosedive...

May 0.82% > June 0.31% > July 0.17%

It's a shame that Virgin TV Ultra HD isn't available to all Virgin Media customers, not just the top tier ones, as it massively limits its potential audience, although I fully understand they are also trying to use it to get people upgrading.
Youch! That's quite a ratings drop.

I kinda agree with you regarding the VM Ultra HD channel not being for all customers, however there's less and less in the Maxit tier, they need something there to have enough customers on it to make the numbers work for the BT deal, there needs to be something for those that don't want BT Sport in order for there to be enough of them to subsidise it for those that do. Currently, as I understand it, the only exclusives to Maxit (i.e. not in Personal Picks add-on packs) are basically BT Sport, a few HD versions of SD channels, Boxsets and Ultra HD channels.
Old 19-08-2019, 15:54   #6117
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

He-Man: Clerks director Kevin Smith to revive 80s series for Netflix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49392859

Quote:
By the power of Grayskull! Clerks filmmaker Kevin Smith is teaming up with Netflix to revive the He-Man and Masters of the Universe series.
Quote:
The new series, Masters of the Universe: Revelation, will apparently pick up where the original animated series left off and will use Japanese anime-style animation.
Old 19-08-2019, 17:45   #6118
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
He-Man: Clerks director Kevin Smith to revive 80s series for Netflix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49392859
Can't wait for that
Old 19-08-2019, 17:50   #6119
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Can't wait for that
Seeing as you were probably young enough to watch the original l expect you will look forward to it with keen interest.
Old 20-08-2019, 17:15   #6120
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

This is a great article and makes some very valid points.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercs...y-1-more-svod/
Closed Thread