Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speedtouch as VOIP ATA

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Speedtouch as VOIP ATA

Old 10-05-2009, 23:03   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Speedtouch as VOIP ATA

I have a speedtouch 780 ADSL Router which has the ATA ports running a 6.1x firmware (i can upgrade if needed)

Does anyone know how to hack it to be a standalone ATA.

I'm betting it's possible as the Speedtouch CLI is actually very powerfull and i've already seen people cleverer than I manage to separate ports and turn them from a DSL router to an ethernet router.

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index....re_router_mode

http://homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?...outeInternally

Neither for which appear to work on the 780 when i tried (it's possible I messed up a command somewhere)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2009, 00:32   #2
Pofadda
...groping for an answer

Services: VirginMedia sipgate VoIP
Pofadda is on a distinguished roadPofadda is on a distinguished road
Re: Speedtouch as VOIP ATA

Not a reply, just a metoo...

I have a ST716 that is too fiddly to set up and manage as a router BUT it does have VoIP in it! Has anyone hacked a 716 to isolate the ATA function completely? I tried playing with the user.ini but I never found which of the 1182 lines in it to disable/modify without screwing things up royally. Has anyone done this?
Pofadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 00:58   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofadda View Post
Not a reply, just a metoo...

I have a ST716 that is too fiddly to set up and manage as a router BUT it does have VoIP in it! Has anyone hacked a 716 to isolate the ATA function completely? I tried playing with the user.ini but I never found which of the 1182 lines in it to disable/modify without screwing things up royally. Has anyone done this?
Not yet i'm afarid although I hear it's very much possible to do it
Old 16-05-2009, 01:07   #4
Pofadda
...groping for an answer

But not easy to find how to, even on the 'Net... [sighs]
Old 16-05-2009, 01:17   #5
dragon
Inactive

Nope I tried the Homehub hack (as that was a speedtouch) and also the hack to turn it into an ethernet router.

But neither worked (although not sure if i got the 2nd one right)
Old 06-07-2009, 13:19   #6
voipcheap
Inactive

voipcheap is an unknown quantity at this point

In dutch a proverb says "Better late, than never"!
I needed to connect a Speedtouch 780WL as a wireless AP and ATA to a cable modem. Searching the internet I wasn't able to find the solution.
However, on the Speedtouch residential CD v5.4.0 (part of the delivery of the generic ST780 purchase) I found a template to configure the ST780 as an ATA (file name <<SW_EXP_voiceata_7xx.tpl>>). This worked fine for me. The name of this file suggests that it works also for the ST716.
For the ST706 there seems to be a separate file, called <<SW_EXP_voiceata_706.tpl>>.
I used the same CD to get the template in the ST780. I do not know what dialplan is used in the template.
You can NOT download the Speedtouch Residential CD v5.4.0 (or later) from an Alcatel/Thomson/Speedtouch-site! Later on I found a version 6.1.03 for download, but I do not remember the site.
In the UK you can order the CD from <<www.speedtouchonline.com>>; they charge only for shippingcosts.
I hope this still helps. Greetings from Amsterdam.

PS
To connect the ST780 to the ethernet/UTP-network (in my case the cable modem) you should use port 4.
To get a internet connection my ISP prescribes to turn/power down everything and than power up in this order: !. PC; 2. ST780; 3. cable modem.
voipcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 13:51   #7
dragon
Inactive

Oh Beautiful

Thanks think i might have found the files mentioned

Edit I'll post a link as I don't see any reason why these cannot be posted.

http://sabohn.dyndns.org:8080/public...20R6.2/?sort=t

I've not tested these yet.
Old 06-07-2009, 15:08   #8
Pofadda
...groping for an answer

One day I will compare the above file with my duff user.ini file(s) and see where I went wrong. Since asking, I have bought a Zoom 7805 ATA, unlocked it and it does the job (well, sort of as it seems to drop to single duplex from time to time...).

I have a spare (functional - used it with cable, until I wrecked my user.ini) 716 if anyone's interested and adventurous .
Old 06-07-2009, 15:32   #9
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofadda View Post
One day I will compare the above file with my duff user.ini file(s) and see where I went wrong. Since asking, I have bought a Zoom 7805 ATA, unlocked it and it does the job (well, sort of as it seems to drop to single duplex from time to time...).

I have a spare (functional - used it with cable, until I wrecked my user.ini) 716 if anyone's interested and adventurous .
Could easily reset it and test using the template.
I will test with the 780 I have sometime.
Old 11-09-2012, 22:50   #10
pacha2
Inactive

pacha2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread, but I am about to try almost the same setup as I'm switching ISP and likely to have a spare Speedtouch 780 which I have been using for VOIP. The new router is for FTTC and doesn't have any VOIP ports.

I managed to locate the templates mentioned above at the modem forum (link below)
http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfc...ata_7xx_WL.tpl

Not sure exactly which steps need to done next, so any pointers appreciated.
pacha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 23:25   #11
dragon
Inactive

Actually I don't think I ever did get the template to work but I did manage to get it working via the CLI.

It was a fair while ago and I stopped using it when I got a proper SIP phone instead.

http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=Voip

Worked on a 6.2.x firmware but as the page says I can't remember exactly where it came from, I think it was probably speedtouchforum.de
Old 12-09-2012, 22:14   #12
pacha2
Inactive

pacha2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link, seems to be exactly what I was after.

The closest I found was here a discussion here which has a couple of link that brought me to this page.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=93018.0

I upgraded my ST780 firmware too and it's on 7.4.4.7, and also came via BE, so once my Infinity connection is running I will look to repurpose just for VOIP.

Thanks again.
pacha2 is offline   Reply With Quote