Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | freesat hd & digibox form single lnb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

freesat hd & digibox form single lnb

Old 16-07-2008, 21:06   #1
ramzoid
Inactive

ramzoid is an unknown quantity at this point
freesat hd & digibox form single lnb

hi,

i live in a flat using single line lnb.

i what to use digi & freesat (hd) stb's from the single lnb - is there some kind of switch manual or automatic that i can buy to direct the signal to the stb i specifically want to use? - cheers
ramzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2008, 12:59   #2
Freesat-Box
Inactive

Freesat-Box is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: freesat hd & digibox form single lnb

This depends on what you term as digi.

If digi is freeview, you will need a terrestrial aerial, and as your in flats, it would depend on how that is supplied to you.

If digi is Sky then you might be able to use some kind of splitter, or some dishes have multiple outputs from one LNB. Splitter might not be a good idea as you will halve the signal strength going between the dish and the box, so you might need some kind of booster as well.

If digi is Virgin Media then you will still need a cable to your property.

Gerald Morgan
http://www.freesat-box.com
Freesat-Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 13:18   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Unless you get a twin feed LNB you'll have problems with polerization if you use both boxes simulataniuosly..

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 17:13   #4
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

you can do it with a satellite switch box however you may well loose signal & a dual or quad LNB will cost alot less.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 17:48   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
you can do it with a satellite switch box however you may well loose signal & a dual or quad LNB will cost alot less.
Fine if you only want to use a box at a time, would have to be a manual switch unless both boxes have basic Diseqc or you could use an autoswitch if one box was powered off whilst the other was on.

Perhaps the OP will enlighten us as to if both boxes will be used simultanious in which caes a polarity conflict could occur

Kymmy
Old 18-07-2008, 20:40   #6
ramzoid
Inactive

ramzoid is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your replies - sorry should have mentioned flat uses a communal dish - single lnb only.

i would use the stb's (sky & freesat) one on/one off.

what is the auto switch specifically called?

also i want to record from either stb (while on & 'watching') however my tv has only one av socket.

is this sensible?

dish > switch(?) > stb's > av splitter > dvd > tv av

haven't purchased freesat yet so i can't try.

cheers.
ramzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 20:55   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Personally I use linux reciever which gives me all the FTA SKY and FREESAT channels all from one LNB (mind you I do have another LNB on a home made bracket pointing towards hotbird 13E and a DISEQC switch to switch between the two.

A diseqc switch allows the sat reciever to switch between multiple lnb's and uses a signal on the co-ax to activate the switch...

What you need is an auto switch (not sure what you;d call them) that just detects which receiver is on (by the lnb feed voltage) and switches to that reciever automatically.

Kymmy