Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV HD on Freesat from this weekend

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ITV HD on Freesat from this weekend

Old 06-06-2008, 08:03   #1
REDLAND
Inactive

Services: V+ XL SkySports SkyMovies 20Mb 'net
REDLAND is an unknown quantity at this point
ITV HD on Freesat from this weekend

another nail in the Virgin Media coffin I feel

The BBC and ITV will be showing Euro 2008 footie matches in HD over the Freesat network, the two broadcasters have announced.

When Freesat launched last month, it promised ITV's HD channel would be coming exclusively to its set-top boxes "soon". Today, it said the first broadcast will take place on Saturday evening at 7.45pm. It'll be the Portugal vs Turkey match.

BBC HD will broadcast the opening game of the tournament, Switzerland vs Czech Republic, at 5pm. However, the BBC content is also available through Sky and Virgin Media HD services.

Freesat requires a satellite dish and a suitably-branded set-top-box from the likes of Humax, Goodmans, Bush and Grundig. Only the Humax box, the Foxsat-HD, is currently capable of picking up the HD content, according to Freesat.

Purchasing the set-top guarantees subscription-free access, but satellite dish installation comes extra. And yes, you still need a TV licence.

You'll need an HD TV, of course. If you don't have one, Panasonic is offering a line of LCD TVs with integrated Freesat tuners
REDLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2008, 09:05   #2
charliestumpy
Inactive

charliestumpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ITV HD on Freesat from this weekend

I agree that apparent profusion elsewhere other than on Cable of 'HD' seems a bummer, but despite liking some true (within modern specs.) HD via e.g. Blu-ray/V+, our main reason for forking out for V+ box is that (although we have other PVRs) V+ is the best video PVR (apart from not recording radio...).

A lot of widescreen HD footie matches are dreadful, and a lot of 4:3 SD footie is brilliant.
charliestumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27   #3
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

itv hd isn't anything new, the CL final was on itv hd.

i assume this is a nail in the sky coffin too as it isn't on sky?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44   #4
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I think it's potentially a bigger nail in Sky's coffin than VM.

Folk with VM don't have a dish on the side of their house and are unlikely to have HD as top of their priorities (otherwise they'd go Sky). Sky customers though who want HD but baulk at the subscription costs already have a dish, so Freesat (especially a Freesat PVR alternative to Sky+) will appeal big time. Also, check out some of the Sky HD forums - there are a lot of unhappy customers there with unreliable boxes and dissatisfaction with the Sky service. "Other man's grass" and all that...
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 21:09   #5
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post

Folk with VM don't have a dish on the side of their house and are unlikely to have HD as top of their priorities (otherwise they'd go Sky). Sky customers though who want HD but baulk at the subscription costs already have a dish, so Freesat (especially a Freesat PVR alternative to Sky+) will appeal big time. Also, check out some of the Sky HD forums - there are a lot of unhappy customers there with unreliable boxes and dissatisfaction with the Sky service. "Other man's grass" and all that...
I'd go the other way. ITV, struggling for advertisig revenue, are depriving themselves of 200,000 viewers.

Digitalspy have a thread on un reliable HD freesat boxes.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post

It was on ITV HD, but wasn't available to Freesat HD boxes, the red button linking wasn't enabled. I watched it on a PC based receiver.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:21   #6
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

The BBC has the final this year and ITV don't so ehh.
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:21   #7
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

there no hd on itv on mine is it only on some shows
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 19:30   #8
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe View Post
there no hd on itv on mine is it only on some shows
ITV have no HD archive - see the second half of this post. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34570180-post628.html

Thats why they can't do a full time HD channel.
Old 10-06-2008, 21:49   #9
NO ONE
Inactive

Services: SKY DIG Sky+hd Mullity room(SKY WORLD) SKY BB MAX Sky talk L/r /Takl mobil PAY MO Freevew hd
NO ONE is on a distinguished roadNO ONE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NO ONE
Wink Re: ITV HD on Freesat from this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post

no ithink it it will itv who is the Coffin niver Sky or Vm hava anthing to worrey rember itv Digital anyone they Toke on Sky Digiaitl and Ntl/Tellwest
NO ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 04:15   #10
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO ONE View Post
no ithink it it will itv who is the Coffin niver Sky or Vm hava anthing to worrey rember itv Digital anyone they Toke on Sky Digiaitl and Ntl/Tellwest
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 04:27   #11
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
I'm confused, too. Is he trying to say ITV can't beat $ky and VM? Getting one game beats VM...
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 14:20   #12
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
I'm confused, too. Is he trying to say ITV can't beat $ky and VM? Getting one game beats VM...
I think he's trying to say he's had too much to drink.
Old 13-06-2008, 16:09   #13
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

the bloke who had my flat before me had a sky dish installed so i'm looking at getting a freesat box to go with my HD TV. Waiting for the PVR to come out though as I want to be able to record some of the HD stuff when i'm not there.

Don't think this will affect VM as people don't see that as a HD platform anyway and I plan on keeping my V+ and BB service even if I get a freesat PVR
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 16:00   #14
Kellargh
Inactive

Services: BT internet, TalkTalk telephone, Sky HD.
Kellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really nice

I get lovely pictures on Sky Sports HD by the way.

And Sky Movies HD.

These two are enough for me.

[Thought I'd dig-in-the-side as I can't get vm broadband, unlike all you lucky gits!]

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post

*cough* yeah, check out these forums and the issues vm has! Forums attract negative comments. I dont believe it will be a nail on either - VM has Setanta, Sky have Sports HD.
Kellargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 02:11   #15
NO ONE
Inactive

Services: SKY DIG Sky+hd Mullity room(SKY WORLD) SKY BB MAX Sky talk L/r /Takl mobil PAY MO Freevew hd
NO ONE is on a distinguished roadNO ONE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NO ONE
Thumbs up Re: ITV HD on Freesat from this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellargh View Post
I get lovely pictures on Sky Sports HD by the way.

And Sky Movies HD.

These two are enough for me.

[Thought I'd dig-in-the-side as I can't get vm broadband, unlike all you lucky gits!]

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

*cough* yeah, check out these forums and the issues vm has! Forums attract negative comments. I dont believe it will be a nail on either - VM has Setanta, Sky have Sports HD.
Right you hit the nell on the hade bitter then i did
NO ONE is offline   Reply With Quote