Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

Old 06-11-2020, 23:08   #31
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Jesus H, we still on about this friggin box?
But... the box has gone green! Greta’s influence knows no bounds!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2020, 11:24   #32
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I thought that it would try to repair itself in those three hours, how, I really don't know!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:45   #33
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I thought that it would try to repair itself in those three hours, how, I really don't know!
Get a screwdriver out Richard, open it up, have a bit of a prod about then spray it all with WD40 . It should then work I reckon.

Or you could contact VM and get it replaced, but that's not nearly as exciting
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 14:51   #34
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Get a screwdriver out Richard, open it up, have a bit of a prod about then spray it all with WD40 . It should then work I reckon.

Or you could contact VM and get it replaced, but that's not nearly as exciting
That's the problem, they're impossible to contact at the moment.
Old 07-11-2020, 15:26   #35
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It took them less than a minute to answer when I called them on faults on Thursday with a techincal issue.

Quote:
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 17:02   #36
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

If it's been unusable for best part of a fortnight, maybe you could get rid of the TV and save yourself some money.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 17:04   #37
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Stop your direct debit, you'll suddenly find them very contactable
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 17:50   #38
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not true.
I’m personally surprised that Richard hasn’t invoked his close senior contacts within Virgin Media to get this fixed and negotiated a contract reduction in price and goodwill payment.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 18:36   #39
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Not true.
I’m personally surprised that Richard hasn’t invoked his close senior contacts within Virgin Media to get this fixed and negotiated a contract reduction in price and goodwill payment.
The guy I knew that worked there has now moved on. I've already had a really good deal put in place as part of an an out of court settlement for the issues I suffered after a data breach. When it's sorted, I will expect to be compensated for the loss of service though.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
It took them less than a minute to answer when I called them on faults on Thursday with a techincal issue.
Was that for your TV?

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
If it's been unusable for best part of a fortnight, maybe you could get rid of the TV and save yourself some money.
I've found that if you stop one service, you lose all your discounts, meaning that It's no cheaper or is even more expensive!

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Old 07-11-2020, 18:48   #40
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Not true.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:03   #41
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, i've just tried it again and seen something i've never seen it do before. A screen came up and said that it only had 3 days of EPG data left (not true, most of ths EPG is no longer present now and says 'To be announced'.).

You could ignore it, defer it or ask it to sort it out. I asked it to sort it out and it basically did a 'connect to VM' with a green screen behind it.

After it had finished it went back to the 5 min reboots and still no EPG.

Spiderplant suggested earler that I disconnect it from the internet as sometimes this stops them from continually rebooting. It didn't, so I connected it up again.

If SP sees this, could the fault be being caused because it can't load the EPG and keeps rebooting to try (whether connected to the internet or not) as opposed to a HDD failure? Surely a HDD failure wouldn't stop it from getting EPG dataif if it was successfully loading up?

If the former, maybe VM can do something without the need for a new box? I've still not had any joy from them, apart from a holding email from the office of the CEO.

VM placed a BB ad on fb this evening and the comments were full of people complaining about similar issues ie not being able to get through or being ignored.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:38   #42
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I've not seen you post on the VM Community Forum where users usually often get VM TS help within a few hours.

Last edited by ozsat; 09-11-2020 at 04:45.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:48   #43
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Richard, are you using the 150 number to contact Virgin or are you trying to contact a named individual?

Although sometimes you have to wait for a bit on the CS number, I have always been able to get through. Try during the day rather than evenings if you can.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:39   #44
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If SP sees this, could the fault be being caused because it can't load the EPG and keeps rebooting to try (whether connected to the internet or not) as opposed to a HDD failure? Surely a HDD failure wouldn't stop it from getting EPG dataif if it was successfully loading up?
You might be correct that it reboots every time it tries to connect even if the connection fails. But I'd still suspect a HDD fault because the EPG data is stored on the HDD, whereas the HDD isn't required for simply booting up. The software that's needed for bootup is held in flash memory, not on the HDD.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what the faulty component is. You need a new box.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 17:26   #45
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You might be correct that it reboots every time it tries to connect even if the connection fails. But I'd still suspect a HDD fault because the EPG data is stored on the HDD, whereas the HDD isn't required for simply booting up. The software that's needed for bootup is held in flash memory, not on the HDD.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what the faulty component is. You need a new box.
Ajhhh right. I didn't realise that the EPG data was stored on the HDD.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Richard, are you using the 150 number to contact Virgin or are you trying to contact a named individual?

Although sometimes you have to wait for a bit on the CS number, I have always been able to get through. Try during the day rather than evenings if you can.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I've not seen you post on the VM Community Forum where users usually often get VM TS help within a few hours.
Thanks, but i've now passed it on to Ofcom. They appear to be treating this as just another routine enquiry/complaint and are not affording me the appropriate treatment as a vulnerable person.