Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hitron port forwarding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hitron port forwarding

Old 11-11-2020, 15:19   #1
Fireskull
cf.member

Fireskull is an unknown quantity at this point
VM Hitron port forwarding

Hi All,

I have a few sites running business broadband lines on the Hitron Routers, they have single fixed IP, now I know it would be great if these routers could do modem mode but I know that's not possible with the Hitrons and fixed IP.

I am running Modems behind the Hitrons and that's fine for general use but I want to be able to run OpenVPN, now I have tried forwarding the ports on the Hitron to the routers with no luck, and have tried the router IP in the Hitron DMZ with no luck either.

I guess the question is, is the IP I get when I google 'Whats my IP' the external IP I should be using to try and get to these ports?

I can ping that IP fine, but a portscan fails...

Any help/advice appreciated!

Thanks
Fireskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2020, 15:52   #2
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: VM Hitron port forwarding

There are people who here whose recollection is better than mine.
But a few years ago, something similar was discussed, albeit in the context of 5 public IP addresses. IIRC, a firewall behand the VMB modem sorted out routing/port forwarding.

What I don't recall is the use of a VPN within the VPN maintained between the VMB modem and the VMB servers.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:56   #3
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

I can't quite work out what you're asking, but....

I use wireguard as my VPN now, but previously I was using openvpn on one of my static IP's without issue.

I use opnsense as my firewall, hitron is in GRE mode.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 13:13   #4
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I wasn't asking anything. But underneath my remarks was the suggestion that firewall rules could be written for forwarding to your routers.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote