Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | External Hard Disk Price Question.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

External Hard Disk Price Question.

Old 13-11-2018, 14:53   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
External Hard Disk Price Question.

I'm on the market for the moment looking for a 6TB External Drive.

They are priced around £115 inc delivery at most places, my question is do u think any of these sites such as Argos, PC World, Amazon etc would offer these drives cheaper on Black Friday?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2018, 16:15   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: External Hard Disk Price Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I'm on the market for the moment looking for a 6TB External Drive.

They are priced around £115 inc delivery at most places, my question is do u think any of these sites such as Argos, PC World, Amazon etc would offer these drives cheaper on Black Friday?
It's always possible I suppose but £115 seems a decent price for 6 TB and the Black Friday stuff tends to be lines they have trouble shifting normally. I think external drives sell well all of the time to Xbox and playstation gamers for example.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:42   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I would hang on until Black Friday/Cyber Monday the deals on Amazon have already started, you should be able to make a saving from somewhere around that time.
Old 13-11-2018, 18:29   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Im a big Seagate fan and this is the drive i currently have my eye on....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Des...nal+hard+drive

Its the same Price on Amazon, PC World and Argos at the moment.
Old 28-11-2018, 14:49   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

I can now get an 8TB for £125 i dont know what to do, buy now or wait until new year sales.
Old 28-11-2018, 16:11   #6
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

lol, you know what computers are like, if you wait another couple of months there will be a 16tb for £150 Where do you stop? You have to bit the bullet sooner or later, these deals in PC bits, are rarely deals are they? ebuyer etc, reduce the price of older ones, when the new ones come out. Want bleeding edge, pay a premium, if you're happy with not the latest and greatest than more often than not the older models are ok.

especially with external hard drive, where you're buying it to back up/store files, rather than constant use for games etc, so just buy something, and then don't look at them for a year or so or you'll kick yourself for not waiting.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 17:34   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I can now get an 8TB for £125 i dont know what to do, buy now or wait until new year sales.
Buy something now, you missed Black Friday but Cyber Monday sales are still running in places.
Old 28-11-2018, 17:40   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Trying to buy from Argos but its neither letting me log in nor send a password reset to my email address which i know to be correct.
Old 28-11-2018, 18:14   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Trying to buy from Argos but its neither letting me log in nor send a password reset to my email address which i know to be correct.
eBay are doing 15% off so check them!!!

Argos are also on eBay, you could also use topcashback.
Old 30-11-2018, 19:21   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

One option if you have a router.

Buta NAS drive and then any PC/MAC, phone, tablet, or smart device can access it.

I have two WD NAS drives and I've downloaded stuff at work from it via 4G in no time.
Old 02-12-2018, 22:04   #11
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

do you use hotukdeals?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sea...amazon-3125727
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 20:18   #12
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
One option if you have a router.

Buta NAS drive and then any PC/MAC, phone, tablet, or smart device can access it.

I have two WD NAS drives and I've downloaded stuff at work from it via 4G in no time.
Elaborate a bit further, I probably need to go this route, currently I'm using a drive on the PC as a media server and USB external drives for backing up stuff, a nice NAS setup might be preferable especially as my next step would likely be 4 - 6 TB drives which isn't so great for External USB longevity.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 21:34   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Cloud...+my+cloud+home

I have 2 WD NAS Drives (2 & 3TB)

It has shared folders where I put the relavent files I.e Music in the music folder.

On the laptops that access it I create Mapped drives to the folders like this M:\Music, V:\Video

My smart TVs & Blu-Rays can find the shared folders, my android phones and tablets need a different app to see the NAS contents.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

I forgot to say that I have set an area in which my laptop puts backed up files automatically.

I also set my mobile to backup videos and pictures to their own folder.
Old 06-12-2018, 21:39   #14
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Thanks for that, yes I should have mentioned I use an android app to (WiFi PC File EXplorer) plus the windows server service to see the files then I can send them to any TV via Chromecast, I'd just like to lose the external hard drives and have the media server off my desktop PC and onto something dedicated.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 21:50   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

It's annoying to be that Samsung doesn't have native support for home networks.

One the NAS is set up mine can be accessed remotely anywhere.