Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 12-05-2013, 15:10   #1366
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
I don't expect VM to get btsport and I have given my reasons why in previous posts. I really wouldn't hold your breath. It certainly won't be free for VM customers. If BT do agree to allow carriage on VM then they will expect full subscription for it, they categorically WILL NOT allow VM to get it away free, it would not make any commercial sense to do so. If BT were to do this, they would effectively be giving away control of their own sports channel.
VM will not be able to afford to take a £12 hit for every XL subscriber.

As soon as I can get Infinity, I am moving and taking BB, phone and Youview with BT.
As a forum contributor, I think it is incumbent upon me and all who post on here to offer advice to people who may be about to make a mistake.

In that spirit, I would advise you, tvtimes, just to hold on for a few months and see what VM come up with. It's no good second guessing this, you just don't know what is going to come of this.

When VM changes hands, the new owners will want a strong sports content and as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the evidence is out there in terms of the sports content on the European cable systems they own.

In my view, VM will be offering BT Sports at a reduced price, and I wouldn't rule out a free offering either. That may involve a financial hit for VM but I don't think it would be wise to give the impression to potential or existing subscribers that there would in future be a poor sports offering on the platform.

So my advice, tvtimes, is to wait until you have all the information before taking a decision. The new channels don't start until August, so you have plenty of time!

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1234 View Post
Not done a comparison yet but it does seem that the best way to get all sports is sky tv and bt broadband.Currently out of contract with virgin and just rang retentions to see what they could do,apparently you can only speak to them monday-saturday,oh well try again tommorow,but not holding out much hope.
Ditto my response above. Why the big hurry? You cannot judge whether it is better to go via Sky or BT until you know what VM will do. Ah well, it's your money and your choice.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2013, 16:44   #1367
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Post of the day! I shall miss the Italian football and some of the rugby union, but no way am I paying extra or dumping Sky Sports whilst can afford it so unlucky BT....
Oh my days. BT do not expect anyone to dump Sky sports or Sky tv.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

I personally am fed up with VM's coming soon attitude that they have had for years. We are always the last to get anything. I love sport and find VM expensive. I have never been able to justify spending so much money on Sky sports so this free offer looks like my only alternative.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 19:08   #1368
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Oh my days. BT do not expect anyone to dump Sky sports or Sky tv.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

I wasn't talking about BT or their expectations. That is a matter for them. I was merely saying I will not dump Sky Sports for BT as I cannot afford both...
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 23:38   #1369
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
So my advice, tvtimes, is to wait until you have all the information before taking a decision. The new channels don't start until August, so you have plenty of time!

This.........
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:42   #1370
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm more gutted about the loss of ESPN America , sure the channel had lost some key rights for instance the NHL however it offered us real US Sports fans somewhere to enjoy games. Will BT dedicate as much time to US Sport with only one ESPN branded channel with non US sport presumably aired on it also ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:16   #1371
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I agree MM. I too will miss ESPN America. Ill miss the Basketball mainly
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:22   #1372
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I think what a major amount of customers don't realise is that this is VM all over. They don't give out any information to its customers at all, and l think this is wrong.

We have a major company here, yes, they may have been taken over by Liberty Global, BUT it is still VM controlling the shots.

WE, the customer should know what is happening as we are debating what will happen etc. What VM should be doing is exactly what Sky are doing, and that is Advertising the channels NOW.

This is where you are going to get the customer basis, Yes, BT are making a big advertising impact to attract customers, along with Sky. What is VM doing - ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to settle there basis down.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:30   #1373
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
They don't give out any information to its customers at all, and l think this is wrong.
They don't give information out about carriage negotiations until the deal is done and is launching on the platform, it would be stupid for them to do so as customers wouldn't be happy if at one minute they were saying we're getting these channels and then the next minute we're not. They have said

Quote:
we’re talking to BT about how we can make the forthcoming BT Sport package available to you.
and set up the virginmedia.com/btsport page which personally I think is more than they need to. It doesn't launch for a couple of months so it's not as if it's a week before launch and they've not said anything. They're in negotiations with UPC Ireland, also owned by LG so I might be wrong in thinking so but if they get it we'll get it. It's simply a case of wait and see, which is fine if you're a patient person
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:25   #1374
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BT's 'free' Premier League offer is unlikely to trouble Sky.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ier-league-sky
Old 13-05-2013, 13:40   #1375
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
BT's 'free' Premier League offer is unlikely to trouble Sky.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ier-league-sky
What I have been saying, this is about broadband, hence why i see it troubling Virgin.

But we should wait and see.

And on a sad note, I can't get BT infinity until Sept, so the offer isn't any good to me
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:42   #1376
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

It may be true, but I have heard some horrid reports about BT broadband. My VM broadband has been excellent in the two years I have had it and I love the telly. BT can go and take the proverbial running jump as far as I am concerned! :-)
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:51   #1377
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
What I have been saying, this is about broadband, hence why i see it troubling Virgin.

And on a sad note, I can't get BT infinity until Sept, so the offer isn't any good to me
I don't think it will trouble Virgin on the same level as it would Sky.

VM offer a quadraple play package where fibre broadband comes as standard. Those customers not in an Infinity area are unlikely to give up their superfast speeds for BT ADSL bb.

Sky however, use BT's network, so if a Sky bb customers moves they can expect the same speed minimum from BT.
They also wouldn't need to give up their tv package and can just add this channel with one simple call to BT or by going on the website Bt has provided.
Moving their bb to BT I imagine would be quite a simple transfer compared to moving from one network to the other.

The deal is a lot more attractive to Sky customers than it would be to VM's.

BT originally said it planned to operate across all platforms available but that has now been changed to just BT VISION/Youview and Sky - plus apps and online streaming.
They won't allow it on Freeview even with subscription because they want to drive bb sales. They allow it on Sky because they want to attract existing BB customers on Sky and also Sky has open access, so BT retain control of their channels without giving up any of their USP to another platform to capitalise on.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:56   #1378
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I don't think it will trouble Virgin on the same level as it would Sky.

VM offer a quadraple play package where fibre broadband comes as standard. Those customers not in an Infinity area are unlikely to give up their superfast speeds for BT ADSL bb.

Sky however, use BT's network, so if a Sky bb customers moves they can expect the same speed minimum from BT.
They also wouldn't need to give up their tv package and can just add this channel with one simple call to BT or by going on the website Bt has provided.
Moving their bb to BT I imagine would be quite a simple transfer compared to moving from one network to the other.

The deal is a lot more attractive to Sky customers than it would be to VM's.

BT originally said it planned to operate across all platforms available but that has now been changed to just BT VISION/Youview and Sky - plus apps and online streaming.
They won't allow it on Freeview even with subscription because they want to drive bb sales. They allow it on Sky because they want to attract existing BB customers on Sky and also Sky has open access, so BT retain control of their channels without giving up any of their USP to another platform to capitalise on.
Sorry, I meant where infinity is available to Virgins
Old 13-05-2013, 13:59   #1379
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post

Sorry Colin but do not see it causing as many problems as you think for Virgin and ain't you doomsayers been down this road many times before in the last few years.
Old 13-05-2013, 14:00   #1380
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sorry Colin but do not see it causing as many problems as you think for Virgin and ain't you doomsayers been down this road many times before in the last few years.
no. BT never made this offer before, so I never said it before