Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

Old 26-03-2020, 20:34   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

I've wanted to do this for ages, but I'm struggling to find solid guidance on the best way to approach it.

Essentially, I want to run some Ethernet cables through the walls of my house.

My house is a new build (~3 years old), timberframe so all of the walls are hollow (sans insulation, etc.) and covered with plasterboard.

Assuming I want to go from the living room up to the bedrooms and perhaps the upper hallway (For an AP), what's normally the best approach? Should everything run up to the attic, along, then down, or just between floors?

I would actually like to put my network equipment in the loft, so I'm not opposed to running all the cabling via a patch panel in the loft, I'm just not sure of the approach.

Do you start from the loft, find the wall, drill in, drop cables and then try to find where they've dropped? How do you guide the cables down/through floors? What equipment do you normally require for such a thing?

Should I just bite the bullet and run cables outside the house? (Not my preference at all).

I appreciate it's a lot easier to do this before the plasterboard is up and that it's going to be super fiddly, but while I'm stuck inside for the next few weeks, I may as well make the most of it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2020, 21:27   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

Look into decent powerline adaptors and in each room network switches.

This saves on drilling holes.

I bought a powerline adaptor kit, as my router is upstairs.

Behind the TV downtair is the other powerline, this connects to a 5 & 8 port switch.
Old 27-03-2020, 11:25   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The real problem in the walls is that although they are hollow there are usually cross members ( noggins ) at intervals between the vertical studs. You can use a stud finder to locate them but you then need to get the cables round them by making a hole in the wall at the noggin location and notching the noggin for the cable before re-filling the hole. There will also be a "wall plate" (timber) top and bottom running the entire width of the wall.

Depending upon the construction there may also be insulation beteen the studs as well.

You'll also need an electricians fish tape to pull the wires through.

When I wired up my place I ran the cables in the floor space and then put flush pattress boxes just above the skirting boards. That way the only cable in the wall was behind the skirting boards which are not plastered but nailed to small stand off timber laths. Then there was only a couple of inches actually in the plaster of the wall. Easy to chisel out and re-fill.

I actually had a route from the ground floor to the first inside some plaster boarded pillars that were where a dividing wall had been removed. I deliberately didn't put cross timbers inside these for the very purpose of pulling wires and pipes through.

If you have a cupboard under the stairs this may be the route you can use. I've home run all the CAT5s to a patchboard here that sits next to the router.

I did all this before I got my current router ( Buffalo air station ) that has a very good WiFi signal throughout the house and into the garden. Streams Go TV in HD very nicely.
Old 27-03-2020, 15:20   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our Hub3 is in our bedroom. So I went straight through the wall to the daughter's room, up-over-and down to the lad's room, and straight down and across to the dining room. All exposed cables in small profile conduit clipped to the walls.

Too much hassle to fit inside the walls, especially when upgrade time comes. As heero_yuy inferred, noggins and wall plates are a PITA to leccys once the plasterboard has been fitted.

I also ran aerial cables from an amplifier in the loft to the 5 rooms that have TV.s
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 16:59   #5
sparky621
cf.addict

Services: VM B'band "M 200" TV "Full House" Tel: "Talk More Anytime"
sparky621 is on a distinguished roadsparky621 is on a distinguished road

I'm an electrical engineer with over 20 years experience as an electrician (as my username suggests). I've decided to invest is Mesh WiFi as the disruption caused by trying to run Cat 5 cables round a modern build house is just not worth it in my opinion. Not only are there noggins and wall plates in the walls to contend with as heero_yuy says the floor boards are also 2440mm X 1220mm chipboard tongue and groove that's a a pain to lift.
sparky621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 21:49   #6
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I realise it is not an easy job and it might be difficult to do, but I'd like to give it a go (insofar as doing some research to find out just what's involved before I commit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Look into decent powerline adaptors and in each room network switches.

This saves on drilling holes.

I bought a powerline adaptor kit, as my router is upstairs.

Behind the TV downtair is the other powerline, this connects to a 5 & 8 port switch.
Thanks, but powerlines are a non-starter for me as they're just not fast or reliable enough for what I'm planning to do. I have needs beyond just better wifi around the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The real problem in the walls is that although they are hollow there are usually cross members ( noggins ) at intervals between the vertical studs. You can use a stud finder to locate them but you then need to get the cables round them by making a hole in the wall at the noggin location and notching the noggin for the cable before re-filling the hole. There will also be a "wall plate" (timber) top and bottom running the entire width of the wall.

Depending upon the construction there may also be insulation beteen the studs as well.

You'll also need an electricians fish tape to pull the wires through.

When I wired up my place I ran the cables in the floor space and then put flush pattress boxes just above the skirting boards. That way the only cable in the wall was behind the skirting boards which are not plastered but nailed to small stand off timber laths. Then there was only a couple of inches actually in the plaster of the wall. Easy to chisel out and re-fill.

I actually had a route from the ground floor to the first inside some plaster boarded pillars that were where a dividing wall had been removed. I deliberately didn't put cross timbers inside these for the very purpose of pulling wires and pipes through.

If you have a cupboard under the stairs this may be the route you can use. I've home run all the CAT5s to a patchboard here that sits next to the router.

I did all this before I got my current router ( Buffalo air station ) that has a very good WiFi signal throughout the house and into the garden. Streams Go TV in HD very nicely.
I appreciate it's going to be a ball ache to do for sure, but I appreciate the advice given here. Part of the problem is that I just didn't know what terms to be looking for when researching this (like "noggin").

I don't mind having to cut through some plasterboard to channel through studs and noggins. I know it's tedious and annoying, but if there's a need, there's a need.

There's a soil pipe from the upstairs bathroom going down to the kitchen (And next to the living room, albeit at the opposite side of the Virgin equipment). It's actually quite a large cavity I think, but I guess I just need to find where it exits into the attic to start off with. That will at least get me from the attic to the ground floor. Then I just need to figure out if there's a better way to get from one end of the ground floor to another, but I have an ethernet cable going from one end of the living room to the other already.

I'm partly looking to wire the speaker cables I have as well, but they would have to go across the ceiling (concrete floor) and that's a whole other issue. I have spotlights and I believe these are on "tracks". Is there an easy way to tell the direction those tracks go in, or am I basically going to have to cut a hole in the ceiling to find out?
Old 27-03-2020, 22:09   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

IIRC my powerline adaptors support 1GB
Old 27-03-2020, 22:14   #8
Kushan

Yeah but you'll never actually hit gigabit speeds on powerlines. My real aim is to move (and upgrade) my NAS and server out of the living room. Powerline speeds wouldn't be good enough for my use, I would actually like to upgrade to 10Gbit in the near future.
Old 28-03-2020, 00:09   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I realise it is not an easy job and it might be difficult to do, but I'd like to give it a go (insofar as doing some research to find out just what's involved before I commit).

Thanks, but powerlines are a non-starter for me as they're just not fast or reliable enough for what I'm planning to do. I have needs beyond just better wifi around the house.

I appreciate it's going to be a ball ache to do for sure, but I appreciate the advice given here. Part of the problem is that I just didn't know what terms to be looking for when researching this (like "noggin").

I don't mind having to cut through some plasterboard to channel through studs and noggins. I know it's tedious and annoying, but if there's a need, there's a need.

There's a soil pipe from the upstairs bathroom going down to the kitchen (And next to the living room, albeit at the opposite side of the Virgin equipment). It's actually quite a large cavity I think, but I guess I just need to find where it exits into the attic to start off with. That will at least get me from the attic to the ground floor. Then I just need to figure out if there's a better way to get from one end of the ground floor to another, but I have an ethernet cable going from one end of the living room to the other already.

I'm partly looking to wire the speaker cables I have as well, but they would have to go across the ceiling (concrete floor) and that's a whole other issue. I have spotlights and I believe these are on "tracks". Is there an easy way to tell the direction those tracks go in, or am I basically going to have to cut a hole in the ceiling to find out?
The studs run top to bottom so shouldn't give you a problem. They'll be spaced 16" apart with a 16" noggin horozontally. the noggin s are for stability of the wall, they add rigidity and normally alternate between studs 1 noggin then 2 noggin, 1 noggin then 2 noggin etc.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 00:35   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Yeah but you'll never actually hit gigabit speeds on powerlines. My real aim is to move (and upgrade) my NAS and server out of the living room. Powerline speeds wouldn't be good enough for my use, I would actually like to upgrade to 10Gbit in the near future.
Why?

What would you need that for? I worked at a a couple of Universities, and we had diverse 10Gb external links through JANET, but that was to support 35k students and 8k staff, and HPC links between other Yorkshire Universities.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 16:51   #11
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Why?

What would you need that for? I worked at a a couple of Universities, and we had diverse 10Gb external links through JANET, but that was to support 35k students and 8k staff, and HPC links between other Yorkshire Universities.
whilst you're doing a big job like this, and you're able to, do the best job you can. 10Gb will provide enough speed for the next 10, maybe 20 years, even (for example) for streaming uncompressed 4k content off the NAS to multiple devices in the home whilst other services and data runs across simutaneously. Maybe other large files are being used, such as CAD or video encoding straight to the NAS.

Regardless of the reasons, putting in the fastest you can now is always the best idea, imo. If you only go for what you need now, it will only be a short while (certainly shorter than if you did the best your could) before you are sitting there wishing you did it better the first time round, as you rip out what you've done to replace it with something faster!

Last edited by idi banashapan; 29-03-2020 at 16:56.
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 13:42   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
whilst you're doing a big job like this, and you're able to, do the best job you can. 10Gb will provide enough speed for the next 10, maybe 20 years, even (for example) for streaming uncompressed 4k content off the NAS to multiple devices in the home whilst other services and data runs across simutaneously. Maybe other large files are being used, such as CAD or video encoding straight to the NAS.

Regardless of the reasons, putting in the fastest you can now is always the best idea, imo. If you only go for what you need now, it will only be a short while (certainly shorter than if you did the best your could) before you are sitting there wishing you did it better the first time round, as you rip out what you've done to replace it with something faster!
Having implemented network installs and upgrades on Corporates and Universities,I understand this, but I was asking "his" reasons...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 18:57   #13
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Having implemented network installs and upgrades on Corporates and Universities,I understand this, but I was asking "his" reasons...
Bit snipey, but ok
Old 30-03-2020, 19:32   #14
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

If you're really unlucky and the house builder has cut cost corners you might have Paramount Partition walls which are basically plasterboard sandwiches separated by a cardboard honeycomb or lattice in lieu of proper studs as a load bearing mechanism.

These things are a pain in the backside to drop a cable down as you have to force your puller rod down through it. This type of wall was popular in the 70s and 80s but some builders were still using them up until recently.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 22:45   #15
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
If you're really unlucky and the house builder has cut cost corners you might have Paramount Partition walls which are basically plasterboard sandwiches separated by a cardboard honeycomb or lattice in lieu of proper studs as a load bearing mechanism.

These things are a pain in the backside to drop a cable down as you have to force your puller rod down through it. This type of wall was popular in the 70s and 80s but some builders were still using them up until recently.
They are actually quite easy, I have them and have installed cables; a length of sharpened dowel rod marked with measured marks pushed down from the loft does the trick
progers is offline   Reply With Quote