Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 04-04-2021, 15:28   #3991
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As part of the UK, Scotland should pay it’s share.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

If the Scots really don’t want Indy2, they should jolly well stop supporting the SNP!
You do realise, do you not, that “the Scots” and “the electorate in Scotland” are two wholly different things, I hope? And that in any case you can’t talk about “them” as some sort of homogenous mass?

“The Scots” do not vote for the SNP. Up to around half of voters in Scotland vote for them (though normally a little less than half). The voting system for Holyrood is not perfect, just as it isn’t perfect for Westminster either. The number of seats won does not precisely reflect the number of votes won. And in any case, the SNP is a minority administration. The only reason they have been able to cause such constitutional mischief in the last 5 years is because the Scottish Green Party reneged on an election promise that they would only support another referendum under certain very specific conditions. These have not been met (not even close), but the Greens have become the useful idiots of the separatist movement in Scotland, and have been giving their unqualified support for efforts to win a new referendum for several years now.

There are 6 Green MSPs at the moment, which is *just* enough to create a separatist majority in the chamber.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2021, 16:34   #3992
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You could still vote in another political party, post independence.

And aren't you ruled by the SNP now to some extent?
That is the problem, They are bad enough just now. So if they get ever get independence . God help us. We wold have NO one to help us out.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:21   #3993
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I wish that Hugh would resist the temptation to snipe in the way that he does.
That would mean he’d have to post something meaningful and accurate to aid a debate, don’t wish for the moon.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:52   #3994
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That would mean he’d have to post something meaningful and accurate to aid a debate, don’t wish for the moon.
Really?

Do you mean like "Covid is a flu"?

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote:
I wish that Hugh would resist the temptation to snipe in the way that he does.

OB has made serious points. The SNP is a governance disaster; their balance sheets is not sustainable on its own; their education system is a failure. They have never set out their economic plan for independence - which is quite dishonest.

On those grounds, intelligent Scots should not support the SNP.
I wish that you would have a sense of humour, but that's like wishing for the moon...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:25   #3995
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Are we allowed to have and display a sense of humour nowadays?

I don't mean on here, but in general. Going by the amount of untalented unfunny comedians shown on the TV lately, and the ascendancy of the 'ooh I'm offended' culture, I'm guessing the answer is no
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:36   #3996
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Really?

Do you mean like "Covid is a flu"?

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

I wish that you would have a sense of humour, but that's like wishing for the moon...
Nobody else doubts my sense of humour. Your turn of phrase and manner of put down is offensive - for all to see.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 13:42   #3997
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Thinking about the new Alba party, now this is going to split the vote between the SNP and Alba.

So neither is likely to get a majority, so who do they team up with, as I can't see Salmond or Sturgeon teaming up following recent events?

I guess the upside is that this could kill the independence vote
Old 05-04-2021, 14:15   #3998
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Thinking about the new Alba party, now this is going to split the vote between the SNP and Alba.

So neither is likely to get a majority, so who do they team up with, as I can't see Salmond or Sturgeon teaming up following recent events?

I guess the upside is that this could kill the independence vote
It doesn't really work like that under the Holyrood voting system. As well as the constituency vote (same as Westminster) we all get a second 'list' vote which adds additional MSPs, taking account both of the number of list votes gained, but also the number of MSPs each party has gained in the constituency contest.

The Alba party is only standing on the list. It is not standing in any constituencies. If everyone who votes SNP in a constituency, then votes Alba on the list, the likelihood is that the Holyrood chamber would have around 60 SNP MSPs, all from constituency contests, and a further 30 Alba MSPs, all from the regional lists.

Nicola Sturgeon has argued that nationalist voters absolutely should not do this because that result would be such an egregious abuse of a voting system designed to create proportionality and fair representation, it would only end up harming the demand for a second referendum. The risk for her now though is that most, but not all, SNP supporters do as she asks and vote SNP on both the constituency and the list ballots. If the SNP bleeds a few list votes it may lose what list MSPs it has, without the Alba Party itself gaining enough votes to pick those seats up instead.

It's very hard to work out what might happen, because the voting system in use in Scotland is really only designed to repair the main deficiency in the first-past-the-post constituency contest, which is that a party may have a good showing across the country, but come second everywhere and end up with nothing. If the list becomes full of parties that only stand on the list, and do not put up candidates in individual constituencies too, then there is an increasing risk of perverse outcomes.
Old 05-04-2021, 17:57   #3999
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Whenever I see the polling predictions of how the Scottish will vote, I remember my small group of friends living in Scotland. They all told me in private messages that they would always vote against independence or the SNP, but would never admit that on forums or in conversations with friends or family.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:22   #4000
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Here are a few curve balls for the topic:

1/
Should we allow the referendum before Charlie Farley becomes King?

2/
Would a referendum in 20 years' time be in King William's reign?

3/
Would an independent Scotland be saddled with its share of the Covid debt?

4/
Would England demand that the Withdrawal Agreement be settled before anything else is negotiated?

5/
Will Scotland in the EU be bound by the current EU-UK trade agreement?

Love it!

<SNIP>
I should add something to the list:

6/
Citizenship - Scots on the Scottish electoral roll (and descendants) on the day prior to SCEXIT will no longer hold British citizenship from 12 months after secession. The rules for granting British nationality to Scots will need to be tight. For example, time-limited period for requesting retention of British nationality; if born in England or Wales, then allowed; if born in Scotland but normally resident in England or Wales, then allowed.

From my perspective, we are in the strange position of not wanting to break the UK up, but if they're that stupid then we're forked on making it easy for them to split or difficult so as to deter them.

As we're (England & Wales) not going to cave in financially (are we?), then a split will indeed be bitter. The Nats will be trying to screw us for every penny, we'll be totally resistant which will lead to impasse and a decision point for the Nats; we don't have to do anything. Should be interesting.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:44   #4001
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

What about dual nationality? - the U.K. already allows that for Irish (and Canadian, amongst quite a lot of others) passport holders.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:48   #4002
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

If Scotland left the UK, would their footballers then have to abide by the same rules & regulations as other foreign players?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 13:03   #4003
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I should add something to the list:

6/
Citizenship - Scots on the Scottish electoral roll (and descendants) on the day prior to SCEXIT will no longer hold British citizenship from 12 months after secession. The rules for granting British nationality to Scots will need to be tight. For example, time-limited period for requesting retention of British nationality; if born in England or Wales, then allowed; if born in Scotland but normally resident in England or Wales, then allowed.

From my perspective, we are in the strange position of not wanting to break the UK up, but if they're that stupid then we're forked on making it easy for them to split or difficult so as to deter them.

As we're (England & Wales) not going to cave in financially (are we?), then a split will indeed be bitter. The Nats will be trying to screw us for every penny, we'll be totally resistant which will lead to impasse and a decision point for the Nats; we don't have to do anything. Should be interesting.

What you’re proposing is removing British citizenship from people born with it, and who voted against separation. That would be an extraordinary state of affairs and would have international repercussions. This is not the same as removal of EU so-called “citizenship” post-Brexit, which is actually no more than a gloss on a web of international treaties. British is a nationality recognised everywhere.
Old 07-04-2021, 14:58   #4004
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What you’re proposing is removing British citizenship from people born with it, and who voted against separation. That would be an extraordinary state of affairs and would have international repercussions. This is not the same as removal of EU so-called “citizenship” post-Brexit, which is actually no more than a gloss on a web of international treaties. British is a nationality recognised everywhere.
Collateral damage, blame the snp or better still get rid of them.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What about dual nationality? - the U.K. already allows that for Irish (and Canadian, amongst quite a lot of others) passport holders.
That doesn't sound much like separatism.
Old 07-04-2021, 15:02   #4005
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Collateral damage, blame the snp or better still get rid of them.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

That doesn't sound much like separatism.
Like the Irish who separated?