Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vodaphone gaming lag and VPN blocking.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Vodaphone gaming lag and VPN blocking.

Old 27-02-2021, 17:22   #1
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Vodaphone gaming lag and VPN blocking.

Within the next 6 months Vodaphone/City Fibre will be offering their Gigafast FTTP service in my part of Coventry - a nice symmetrical 900Mb. Having spoken to a games freak and expert networker today, he recommended that I steer clear of Gigafast on behalf of my gaming sons because Vodaphone security systems impose built-in lag that can ruin gaming experience. He also explained that Vodaphone block VPN-not good if, like me, you use a private encrypted VPN for smartphone WiFi on the hoof and to access British TV assets when I am abroad.

How much of this is true and what, if any, are the workarounds?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2021, 18:04   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Vodaphone gaming lag and VPN blocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Within the next 6 months Vodaphone/City Fibre will be offering their Gigafast FTTP service in my part of Coventry - a nice symmetrical 900Mb. Having spoken to a games freak and expert networker today, he recommended that I steer clear of Gigafast on behalf of my gaming sons because Vodaphone security systems impose built-in lag that can ruin gaming experience. He also explained that Vodaphone block VPN-not good if, like me, you use a private encrypted VPN for smartphone WiFi on the hoof and to access British TV assets when I am abroad.

How much of this is true and what, if any, are the workarounds?
Re VPN's

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Othe...m/td-p/2667852
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 18:33   #3
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Thumbs up Re: Vodaphone gaming lag and VPN blocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Thank you. That answers one question. Choosing a different DNS than that of Vodaphone's will get around blocks on alternative VPN sites and I think blocks on actual VPN connections. (I've always used Google's as an alternative to VM's - also crap.)

I wonder if that solution would also help with other detrimental aspects of Vodaphone security. Apparently, when entering a game server, VF's systems take a moment to consider giving permission. This creates delays and dropouts when entering the game lobby. Once in the game, service is good, with minimum lag.

The future looks good if this development works out. https://www.vodafone.com/news/techno...latency-gaming

Last edited by roughbeast; 27-02-2021 at 18:37.
Old 27-02-2021, 18:39   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Having used Vodafone broadband before this is not an issue I've had before.
Old 27-02-2021, 20:16   #5
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Having used Vodafone broadband before this is not an issue I've had before.
Gigafast?
Old 27-02-2021, 21:22   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

No the standard fibre service over the open reach network. Am sure the security is the same though.