Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 08-09-2019, 22:27   #271
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road
Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Assuming we see the beginnings of 3.1 this year, I imagine it'll take them a year or so to make the rest of the country 3.1 compliant (though I don't know how much of that work has already been done), then probably a couple more years of tier upgrades and rollouts and if we're really lucky, by about 2025 nearly everyone will be on 3.1.
VM has announced that 1Gbps will be available to all by 2021, but it's hard to see that happening. DOCSIS 3.1 needs a new hub and its rollout will cause some problems no matter how good it is. VM managers should shudder at the thought of their call centres, already unable to properly deal with existing problems, having to pacify some customers who cannot understand why they have a fault which happened at about the same time as their new hub was installed.

What we will see is something like Project Lightning whose objective gets pushed into the future.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2019, 22:28   #272
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
VM has announced that 1Gbps will be available to all by 2021, but it's hard to see that happening. DOCSIS 3.1 needs a new hub and its rollout will cause some problems no matter how good it is.
There's a stark difference between everyone having 1Gbps and it being available to them
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 19:37   #273
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Seems you're getting old, my friend, your memory is fading
I think you are right. I was so sure I had 50mbits back in 2006 but now I come to think of it I think I was on 1.5mbits as I finished uni which was in 2003, and if you say for the sake of argument we got upgraded every year, I then had 3mbits in 2004, 10mbits in 2005 and 20mbits in 2006 so 2008 probably is right although I didn't think it was that late. I thought I had 100mbits before 2011 but I have just found two posts which I got a big telling off for :p

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...3#post35334143

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...8#post35343278
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:16   #274
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
VM has announced that 1Gbps will be available to all by 2021***, but it's hard to see that happening.
*** Subject to accepting a massive additional charge for sports, movies, and 12 TV boxes you don't want or need along with an overpriced mobile sim
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 00:20   #275
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Finally, VM have updated their FUP calculator for Roam Like Home in the EU. This now applies transparently to the truly unlimited SIM that comes with the Oomph package. Previously the calculator asked us to enter what we may be charged for our unlimited SIM, e.g. £32.00 for the standalone SIM. This gave an EU roaming cap of 13.75GB. For those with an Oomph SIM there was no contracted specified cost for our SIM. It was was an embedded cost so the FUP calculator didn't work. I discovered the nominal cost of £32.00 here in this forum!

Some of you may recall the contradiction I encountered when sold my Oomh unlimited SIM. I along with many others was told, by the sales team, that my SIM was also unlimited in the EU. After a trip to Keffalania we clocked up something like 160GB of data in two weeks, using my phone as a mobile hotspot. (Two teenage sons!!) My bill was as expected, £0.00. It was only when I celebrated this fact here that the contradiction arose. Folk told me I should have been charged and my limit was 13.75 GB, as if I was paying £32.00 a month.

Repeated calls to various VM departments revealed complete disarray across VM. Some said FUP meant I should assume that my SIM cost £32.00 even though, nowhere in my Virgin Mobile or Oomph paperwork did it state that. My mobile account stated that my SIM cost £0.00 a month.

Another department, after checking with a manager, said that the Oomph SIM was not affected by FUP. Later in the conversation another manager thought my SIM was subject to FUP, but agreed that the current FUP calculator was misleading and that I shouldn't be charged.

My next conversations were with the Oomph team, based in Sheffield, the ones who set up my Oomph 500 package. The first operative, after checking with two managers, including the department big chief, declared that my SIM was unlimited in the EU and not subject to FUP. It was 'unique'! I reported this conversation to you guys here and on the official VM support site. Again I was told here that the Oomph team was wrong and shouldn't be selling the SIM as unlimited in the EU.

The op in my next conversation with the Oomph team gave the same view. This SIM was unlimited in the EU. He said the FUP didn't apply and FUP was becoming AUP anyway (Acceptable Use Policy) He speculated that all other departments would be requiring training packages to get them on message.

To cut a long story short, within the next couple of calls I decided to raise a formal complaint. This triggered a conversation with management and complaint management staff. They agreed that something had gone wrong and they would investigate. They agreed that whatever the outcome I would not be charged. They had automatically recorded all my conversations and confirmed that I had been given different advice by different departments.

Three weeks ago I had the definitive answer. It appears that the Oomph sales team and ops, including managers, had got it wrong and had been mis-selling the SIM. They were wrong, not the rest of VM. It was also agreed that the contractual paper work, the FUP calculators and guidance on various VM web pages made it impossible for customers to discern what charge there would be for excess use, if any. They required urgent updating. I would not be charged retrospectively for data use over 13.75 Gb.

It appears that VM have now updated their guidance for FUP including the FUP calculator.

https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

My advise to anyone who was sold a 'truly unlimited' Oomph SIM as part of the whole Oomph 500 package, and has taken it at face value by caning their connection in the EU, is to call the Oomph department and complain that you have been misled. You should not be charged for excess data use in the EU, even if it appears months later in your mobile bill. Threaten, as I did, to go to the ombudsman if they try to charge you.

This is by far the worst case of disarray and incompetence I have come across in my long years with VM. I have asked for a written apology admitting where the fault was and what VM intend to do to prevent further inter-departmental disarray. No chance. I have had apologies over the phone, admitting fault, but the only written apology was very non-specific. "We are sorry that there has been some confusion..." That's as good as it gets. Corporate cover-up abounds. No apologies, either, were forthcoming for the hours I spent waiting in a queue to speak to a human.

No doubt the next time I bring up this subject, it will be to report that VM mobile have attempted to charge me for excess use of data in Greece.

Last edited by roughbeast; 01-10-2019 at 00:31.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 13:58   #276
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

well at least they have made it clear now. You wonder how nobody thought of it at the start when they sat down and were either coming up with the parameters of the oomph deal or writing the new T&C's
Old 04-10-2019, 14:29   #277
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Glad I read this thread before I went on hols as I had assumed it was totally unlimited Thanks for taking the time to follow up with the answers. I wonder if the charges are enforced or not.

On a separate note, does anyone know if the 500mb speed on the Oomph Bundle will be lifted to 1 gig once Gig1 gets rolled out elsewhere?
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 15:23   #278
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
On a separate note, does anyone know if the 500mb speed on the Oomph Bundle will be lifted to 1 gig once Gig1 gets rolled out elsewhere?
It is going to be a new tier
Old 04-10-2019, 16:15   #279
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
Glad I read this thread before I went on hols as I had assumed it was totally unlimited Thanks for taking the time to follow up with the answers. I wonder if the charges are enforced or not.
If we are in the EU next time I travel within EU countries, I will put it to the test by going a little over the 13.75GB allowance. It might take three months to confirm after getting back though.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote