Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 19:54   #6271
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yes, it’s horrific at the moment, but the new low-latency standards that emerged last year and will be deployed over the next 18 months should make a step-change, from delays of 45 seconds or more to around 5 seconds.

The problem is, for live sports, 5 seconds is still 5 seconds too long, especially if, as you’ve outlined, you have simultaneous access to more than one source of information about an event.

I used to live next door to an Arsenal fanatic whose cheers through the party wall made it sound like he was sitting in my living room whenever he watched them score. If the two of us were both following the same live game using different technologies then even a 5 second delay would potentially be a major spoiler.
Agree completely with this.
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2019, 20:02   #6272
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Latency is a big problem with live streaming and once they have tackled that, the worst of the problems faced by the streamers will be overcome. It would not be at all surprising to learn that this was a big reason why Amazon did not wish to bid for one of the bigger packages this last time around. I've said consistently that latency and broadband coverage/speeds were the main drawbacks for live streaming.

Amazon will be keen not to annoy football fans with poor reception and delayed real time action. It will be interesting to see how the coverage of those Christmas matches goes.
That’s speculative on your part. There’s no indication that had anything to do with the tennis problems.

I’ve said there’s plenty of problems with live streaming, not least making a profit on a £5bn investment, so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. No wonder they raided the bargain bucket rather than stumped up big money.

I suspect everyone in this field will want someone else to move first and take the risk. Just a shame La Liga is damaged goods, it’d be a way to test it week in week out with two big events per year.
Old 09-09-2019, 21:16   #6273
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Technical glitches aside, I still think Amazon are very serious about sports.

I received a letter and glossy brochure from them a few weeks ago highlighting their tennis coverage, so it's very much in Amazon's interests to resolve the glitches as they're promoting their live sports so much now. If they can't sort out the problems, then they need to give up on live tv including sports and move their tanks in another direction.

Last edited by Horizon; 09-09-2019 at 21:22.
Old 09-09-2019, 23:10   #6274
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Its not just Amazon apparently the NFL had problems with gamepass last night. Last year they ended up refunding some subs because of problems.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01   #6275
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you will insist on trawling the web desperately looking for articles that seem to back up your fantasy predictions then you will make errors lie this.

The article you posted claims no such thing. Low latency is already achievable in the lab. There are a couple of solutions available and your article says many media companies will deploy them by the end of next year.

What they’re more coy about is precisely how low the latency can go in the wild. Note that while other technical journals say that latencies of 3 or 2 seconds are possible, half of the respondents quoted in the survey aren’t prepared to stake their reputations on achieving anything better than “less than 5 seconds”.

Believe me, if you’re trying to watch live football anywhere within earshot of someone listening to commentary on an FM radio, the latency present in even just a digital satellite broadcast can utterly ruin the experience.

The only good news about latency is that it will be around long enough that if you’re so minded, you can carry on doing the Pop Master trick in your workplace for the foreseeable future.
I was not deliberately trawling the web for this information, it popped up on one of the regular digital tv news sites I follow. What you have said isn't a million miles away from what I am saying, which is that the worst of the latency problem should be resolved next year.

Yes, 5 seconds is still too long really, but it is far more acceptable than 45 seconds!

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That’s speculative on your part. There’s no indication that had anything to do with the tennis problems.

I’ve said there’s plenty of problems with live streaming, not least making a profit on a £5bn investment, so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. No wonder they raided the bargain bucket rather than stumped up big money.

I suspect everyone in this field will want someone else to move first and take the risk. Just a shame La Liga is damaged goods, it’d be a way to test it week in week out with two big events per year.
You asked what would change by 2022. I gave you an example and a link to back it up. Your post proves really that you are just looking for an argument, jfman.

Quelle surprise....
Old 10-09-2019, 11:19   #6276
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Media Boy Sources has told us that NowTV entertainment pack will be 2 tiers sometime in 2020 one at £8.99p/m which will be as it is now plus two new SKY channels and another at £22p/m this will be £8.99 pack plus UKTV channels, all Discovery, TCM Movies, History, Nat Geo, and 4 more unnamed services.

©copyright 2019 Media Boy 2006 - 2019. An ''Keep it real and free'' Production.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32   #6277
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Media Boy Sources has told us that NowTV entertainment pack will be 2 tiers sometime in 2020 one at £8.99p/m which will be as it is now plus two new SKY channels and another at £22p/m this will be £8.99 pack plus UKTV channels, all Discovery, TCM Movies, History, Nat Geo, and 4 more unnamed services.

And did these sources tell you that Now TV would be coming to Virgin MB?.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:36   #6278
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
I posted all info I got. We do not run any Do Not Post order anymore.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:38   #6279
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well lets hope it does come to Virgin but the proof is in the pudding MB.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:59   #6280
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

So, in effect, this is the Sky IPTV service that's been talked about for ages. I believe this is the start of Comcast changing Sky from being a satellite tv service to one which is IPTV based and a streaming service.

Thanks for info MB. This maybe a serious contender in my household to replace cable tv, but we'll see. Still need broadband and by the looks of it, VM will still be the best on price.

If I can get all the BBC and other broadcast channels on Freeview and selected pay tv channels on the new Now Tv, this maybe all that's required, especially with the swathe of streaming services that will be available by then.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

Quote:
Old 10-09-2019, 12:34   #6281
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Why would Nowtv be on Virgin media?
VM already have the channels on their tv service with the exception of Atlantic.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:44   #6282
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Why would Nowtv be on Virgin media?
VM already have the channels on their tv service with the exception of Atlantic.
l did not say it was coming to Virgin as it was MB who stated that it was coming as l wanted to know how much substantiation there was to it from his source.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:57   #6283
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
l did not say it was coming to Virgin as it was MB who stated that it was coming as l wanted to know how much substantiation there was to it from his source.
We only post information on here due to NowTV being an Streaming Service.
Old 10-09-2019, 14:58   #6284
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There is no mention in his post of it coming to VM, the post clearly states there will be 2 nowtv entertainment packages so i don't know where you saw it was coming to vm.
Old 10-09-2019, 17:03   #6285
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

A new open archive site from the BBC is to launch, which looks interesting. It would be good if this could be added to our apps.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...-archive-site/

The BBC is to make thousands of archive clips available to watch on a new website, bbc.co.uk/archive.

The broadcaster said it was making 1,700 newly published videos are being made available for viewers to watch

The BBC said that the new site will help people navigate an ever-increasing portion of the more than 10 million hours of content that currently sit in the BBC’s archive. It will be curated by the same team that currently looks after the BBC Archive social media accounts,

The launch date coincides with the 50th anniversary of Nationwide, the early evening precursor to the One Showthat featured quirky stories from around the UK between 1969 and 1983.

Peter Rippon, BBC Archive executive editor, said: “The site is the beginning of a journey into the BBC’s most cherished asset. Social history, and what it reveals about who we are, is proving especially popular, so we’ve created collections of hundreds of items that give a glimpse of what the archive contains. We are planning to open up the archive much more as the BBC prepares to mark its Centenary in 2022. This is an important step on that journey.”

Closed Thread