Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How long have you had cable BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

How long have you had cable BB

Old 07-02-2021, 10:52   #31
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts
Re: How long have you had cable BB

Since 2002 with ntl, then Virgin although probably not much longer. Last year they matched a £52 quote I got from Sky but not this year so my price I’d due to increase to £75, think I might give Sky a try
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2021, 11:30   #32
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Been with Diamond Cable for 24 years this year for phone and signed up for BB 20 years ago this year. The only tier at the time was 512k with a Terayon TJ210 for £25/month.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:35   #33
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Join with Comtel in 1997. Got somebody I know at Comtel to get me an install as soon as my address appeared on their system.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 14:28   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
According to VM it's been 25 years for me - Nynex to start and then Cable & Wireless, as the phone service was massively cheaper than BT at the time.
Shame that C&W died, as they had a very rich history.

Broadband came later with NTL. That was mindblowing, pictures no-longer loading line by line over dial-up. I'd never been so excited!

Still got the different phone sockets and coax faceplates dotted around the house - Nice bit of history!

Tom
Back when this forum began, it was always part of offering advice to find out whether the poster was in an ‘original NTL’ or ‘ex-C&W’ area before proceeding. It’s all a hazy memory now but I think the diagnostic tool was to ask what colour the EPG graphics were.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 15:57   #35
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I think it was early 1990 as I have an NTL email,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 16:59   #36
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Some time in the 90's when i started working for them and still work for them now and yes still have BB Tv and Phone from them

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 21:24   #37
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Back when this forum began, it was always part of offering advice to find out whether the poster was in an ‘original NTL’ or ‘ex-C&W’ area before proceeding. It’s all a hazy memory now but I think the diagnostic tool was to ask what colour the EPG graphics were.
Yeah, that's correct. NTL was purple, C&W was blue.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 21:40   #38
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

We got Ntl the day it launched in our area in 1998, I remember the guy coming round to sell it, we had just got Sky Digital so he said pit the cable TV box in the bedroom.
I remember the preview channels and that The Box music channel was different to the Sky version, different phone number and video played on TV.
I remember our first modem 500mb with flashing green lights, we felt so modern. Ditched Sky, and then Virgin TV but now back with Virgin TV.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:00   #39
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Not at home but in early 90's was working for a hospital in central London and we go on with the university IT bods so had 100Mb SuperJANET to our desks. Boy was Compuserver and other proper networked services quick.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:09   #40
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

was a customer of NTL / VM from 2004 till 2019 now customer of Liberty Global so still in some ways VM might not be for much longer as here the prices are a bit higher for a worse service.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:06   #41
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Think the first (TV) box I had back with NTL was a Pace - Worked a treat, but I know for a fact that the cards were easy to acquirefor those...
That was quite prevalent at the time, I think!

I think the old Nynex/C&W parts of the network had a bit of a bad reputation didn't they? - Bad infrastructure etc...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 18:17   #42
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Many moons ago , When ever ntl came to Cardiff. that was around the time of acorn computers so remember the noise!
Old 09-02-2021, 18:50   #43
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
A comment in the retentions topic got me wondering how long people have had cable.

For me, its just under 22 years, I had a cable modem, and two phone lines installed in mid June 1999, when it was still Diamond Cable around here (my phone sockets are still the originals, with the diamond logo on them). NTL took over DC not long after.
Same although, it was Nynex>Cable & Wireless>ntl>Virgin Media. Initially had the 512Kbps package for £25 per month. At the time this was a bargain with unmetered access dialup companies going out of business fast.

Who remembers the EzeSurf and VisualDepth and RedHotAnt days of 0800 access and busy phonelines, crap and non-existent customer services?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 18:59   #44
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Who remembers the EzeSurf and VisualDepth and RedHotAnt days of 0800 access and busy phonelines, crap and non-existent customer services?
I dont recall any of them, prior to cable I had virgin.net dialup.
Indeed, my virgin net email worked for quite a long while after I left them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 19:52   #45
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Nobody had cable broadband pre-2000. .....(apart from trialists)

I think ntl "trialed" it in Surrey in 1999 but didn't roll it out properly until 2000/2001 and Telewest was around March 2000.

Both companies launched with a blisteringly fast 512Kb product.