Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky's new non-satellite service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Warning about the Now TV HD trial.

Old 13-06-2019, 02:02   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Warning about the Now TV HD trial.

If you get an invitation to take part in this testing, I recommend reading through the terms and conditions before deciding whether to accept.

They say that you could be held liable for any losses they suffer due to your actions or those of members of your household. Also, you don't seem to get anything out of it - you can only take part in the trial using passes that you have paid for, and it seems to imply that they may charge people extra to take part in the trial in the future, although it does say that they will warn you if that is the case.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2019, 11:11   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Warning about the Now TV HD trial.

And..... It's a public test not a free trial.

Why would 6iy expect it to be free?
Old 13-06-2019, 19:28   #3
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Any losses they suffer due to your actions? Yeah - piracy. Nothing new there.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 21:20   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I wondered what they meant.

There are rumours that Now TV in HD will cost an extra £2 a month, I wonder if this will cannibalise their satellite service??
Old 13-06-2019, 22:17   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

What do you mean by that? £2 extra isn't too bad to get HD.

It's totally separate from the Sky service.
Old 13-06-2019, 22:23   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What do you mean by that? £2 extra isn't too bad to get HD.

It's totally separate from the Sky service.
I mean if people can get Sky channels in HD at a cheaper price, they may be tempted to ditch the more expensive satellite product.
Old 13-06-2019, 22:26   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

You don't have the same range of channels/services though on Now TV.

Many people that take up Now TV do so as a temporary service or for a second TV/device.
Old 13-06-2019, 22:39   #8
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I’d imagine the vast majority of non-enthusiasts, if price was an issue, would settle for 720p anyway so the net effect on the satellite service would be minimal.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 21:16   #9
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
I wondered what they meant.
I dunno but I dont care for HD .. Standard def is fine and always has been
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 21:35   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
SD was fine back in the dark ages of movies and other media. HD and 4K are the current best ways to see and hear things now. The detail you can see in 4k is unbelievable. Watching classic movies in this format is outstanding.
Old 18-06-2019, 20:10   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You might think differently when you trade in your 9" black and white set.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
SD was fine back in the dark ages of movies and other media. HD and 4K are the current best ways to see and hear things now. The detail you can see in 4k is unbelievable. Watching classic movies in this format is outstanding.
100% agree!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 20:55   #12
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:

It seemed fine back in the day but now I think it's horrible. I can only watch stuff in 1080 or preferably 4K these days. The missus can't tell the difference
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 10:59   #13
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you get an invitation to take part in this testing, I recommend reading through the terms and conditions before deciding whether to accept.

They say that you could be held liable for any losses they suffer due to your actions or those of members of your household. Also, you don't seem to get anything out of it - you can only take part in the trial using passes that you have paid for, and it seems to imply that they may charge people extra to take part in the trial in the future, although it does say that they will warn you if that is the case.
I haven't read them, but TBH, they sound like standard terms and conditions. I've certainly seen variants of the one about the user being held liable for any losses the supplier incurs due to the actions of the user, usually along with one that states the supplier will not be held responsible for any actions the user takes. That's standard. Same as the warning that they may charge for a given product or trial in the future. They may or may not introduce a charge, but this means they are protected against any complaint should they do so.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 20:47   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Now TV are going to start sending out surveys asking if people would be prepared to pay more for HD, 1080i etc.

They are also going to ask if people would be happy to pay less if the service was restricted eg only one device, 720. They have also, (for the first time AFAIK) acknowledged that they are aware that some people give their log in details to family and friends.

The question "do you share your password to others" will also be asked.

I suggest that the answer to this question is considered carefully, given that it's against their t&c's and you are liable for any losses that they incur as mentioned above...
Old 21-06-2019, 21:12   #15
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Or the likely outcome will be like Netflix where you can watch on a certain number of devices with the same account.

I wouldn't worry about how you answer the survey. It is very likely to be anonymous.