Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do you use a Password Manager?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion

Backup/imaging software recommendations?

Old 04-11-2018, 16:25   #1
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Backup/imaging software recommendations?

As per title. I'm looking for software that I can install to wifes laptop that will image absolutely everything (windows included, preferably) so that in the event of a catastrophic failure of her laptop (she's not the best at looking after her tech in the first place and has a weird effect on nearby electronic items ) I can buy a new laptop and simply chuck the backed up image onto it so she can carry on as if nothing has happened.

Acronis True Image 2019/Acronis Universal Restore 2018 seems to be what I need but I thought I'd double check by asking here as well

Last edited by Ramrod; 04-11-2018 at 16:29.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2018, 19:25   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Backup/imaging software recommendations?

Acronis is good, but you have to pay for it.

EaseUS todo backup free is good

https://www.easeus.com/download.htm

you can backup a whole drive to an external device, create a bootcd so that you can then restore from that device
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 22:26   #3
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
Acronis is good, but you have to pay for it.

EaseUS todo backup free is good

https://www.easeus.com/download.htm

you can backup a whole drive to an external device, create a bootcd so that you can then restore from that device
Thanks for that info but I'm happy to pay and I need everything backed up. Right up to the OS. What I really want is to be able to press a button on a new laptop and have the imaging software simply drop the old laptops image onto it.
Old 04-11-2018, 22:36   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

hmmn, now I've not tried that on modern hardware/windows so not sure how well it copes with new drivers/devices etc.

I remember using Ghost, and Acronis years ago at work and it usually worked to create an image which we then used on various Dell PCs

Acronis and Ghost are pretty good for letting you browse the image to get at a certain file you want, I can't remember if I've tried that with EaseUS
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 23:03   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

As for Ghost, I'm not touching a Norton product ever again!