Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-09-2015, 14:19   #1996
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Cheers, the cheapest option is always going to be the best as the point of the exercise is to reduce my monthly out goings, so wish to spend as little as possible, for now i dont care about the bedroom TV so i can look into that in the future and look out for deals.
Old 20-09-2015, 14:38   #1997
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Cheers, the cheapest option is always going to be the best as the point of the exercise is to reduce my monthly out goings, so wish to spend as little as possible, for now i dont care about the bedroom TV so i can look into that in the future and look out for deals.
Streaming is certainly the cheapest option for me.
Old 20-09-2015, 15:01   #1998
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

I personally wouldn't buy a device that you can't change the dns on; I don't want to be messing around with router settings. This is why I've never considered a Roku device.

As theone2k10 suggests, Fire TV Box/Stick plus Now TV is a good combo.
Old 20-09-2015, 15:05   #1999
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a device that you can't change the dns on; I don't want to be messing around with router settings. This is why I've never considered a Roku device.

As theone2k10 suggests, Fire TV Box/Stick plus Now TV is a good combo.
Yes same here really as i won't spend money on a router, so i will likely end up with a £15 Now TV box just to get the free 3-6 months pass, then look at something like the Fire TV stick for the bedroom at a later date if i think i would use it.

So now i need to search for a free 6 month entertainment pass, any ideas?
Old 20-09-2015, 15:39   #2000
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

You can get a 3 month entertainment pass from game for £15, although if you buy a box with a free pass and then cancel it just before it runs out, so it doesn't renew automatically, you'll probably get offered 4 months for half price.
Old 20-09-2015, 15:43   #2001
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

This isn't free mate but you might consider it....

http://www.nowtv.com/promo/ents10?DC...nc_General/gen
Old 20-09-2015, 15:46   #2002
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Thanks for the advice guys, will add it all to my options.
Old 20-09-2015, 16:18   #2003
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

You can get a Now TV 3 month pass for £13.99 here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T6QAZ1...=IDI0EBW42RBEY

And if you don't mind the original Now TV box, you can get box plus 3 months for £14.99 here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o04_s00

Giving you a box and 6 months entertainment for £29.

The new Now TV box has a faster processor and also has the option of wired internet as well as wifi.

The new box is also capable of 1080p (old one 720p), however all Sky content via Now TV is 720p.

I have both the old Now TV box and the new one and they both work fine.

BTW I'm not sure re delivery costs on the Amazon links; I have Prime, so for me it's free.
Old 20-09-2015, 16:41   #2004
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

How does the monthly payment subscription work, lets say i get 3-6months free when i buy a box then after that 3-6 months they will start billing me via direct debit? But could i cancel after that 3-6 months and in the mean time buy other passes on ebay or where ever and add it to my account meaning i am still not being billed by direct debit, if that makes sense?

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

What i am thinking of is i don't want a rolling monthly payment when i can easily pickup 2x 3month passes for around £28 how can i avoid them taking money each month?
Old 20-09-2015, 17:48   #2005
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
What i am thinking of is i don't want a rolling monthly payment when i can easily pickup 2x 3month passes for around £28 how can i avoid them taking money each month?
You just cancel it before it runs out, your access to the channels won't stop until the pass expires, you cancel it through your account on the NowTV website.

Like i said you'll probably get offered 4 months at £3.49 a month.
Old 20-09-2015, 19:54   #2006
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
You just cancel it before it runs out, your access to the channels won't stop until the pass expires, you cancel it through your account on the NowTV website.

Like i said you'll probably get offered 4 months at £3.49 a month.
If after i cancel it via the website, i then at a later date get a 3 months pass off Amazon i just add that to the account via the website and it is all systems go again?

Excellent, just need to think about reducing my VM service to the minimum now without a new contract, but that will be in another thread.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Just want to clarify that the 13 channels on the entertainment pack on Now TV are actually broadcast in the same manner as they would be normally, i.e the GF will still be able to watch Friends on Comedy Central all the time and do we get all the commercials?

Basically is it just 13 channels with an hourly channel programme schedule like normal TV?

Edit

I see i can as i was messing with the APP on the Xbox One, looks good!
Old 20-09-2015, 22:36   #2007
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If after i cancel it via the website, i then at a later date get a 3 months pass off Amazon i just add that to the account via the website and it is all systems go again?

Excellent, just need to think about reducing my VM service to the minimum now without a new contract, but that will be in another thread.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Just want to clarify that the 13 channels on the entertainment pack on Now TV are actually broadcast in the same manner as they would be normally, i.e the GF will still be able to watch Friends on Comedy Central all the time and do we get all the commercials?

Basically is it just 13 channels with an hourly channel programme schedule like normal TV?

Edit

I see i can as i was messing with the APP on the Xbox One, looks good!
Live channels are exactly as they are broadcast on tv etc although be aware that some programmes won't be broadcast on nowtv due to rights.
There are no adverts on on demand content some channels like sky atlantic and fox have the occasional bumper break in shows you know just incase we forget what channel we're watching overall nowtv is pretty decent.
Old 20-09-2015, 22:53   #2008
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
There are no adverts on on demand content some channels like sky atlantic and fox have the occasional bumper break in shows you know just incase we forget what channel we're watching overall nowtv is pretty decent.
Yes, I always wait until the following day to watch a show on catchup to avoid adds.
Old 20-09-2015, 23:38   #2009
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, I always wait until the following day to watch a show on catchup to avoid adds.
Same as me although the USA services have ads on catch up but adblock+ deals with that, also hulu now have a add free version for around £8p/m.
Old 21-09-2015, 08:28   #2010
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Also picture is 720p on catch up but only SD on live.
I like Now TV but think the live Sky Sports PQ is too poor on any TV larger than 32in for fast moving sport. And check the list of shows Now TV doesn't air for Rights reasons - much smaller than it used to be (The Simpsons used to be on it) but best check http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entert...els/m-p/139292
Closed Thread