Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best VPN for home users

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Best VPN for home users

Old 18-12-2018, 16:52   #16
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best VPN for home users

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Yet another vote for PIA, just signed up for my second year, tried Cyberghost, NordVN and a few others but PIA was the fastest for me. I get about 50Mbps using the VPN from my 100Mbps connection, without the VPN I'm getting about 80Mbps at the moment.

I'm on 200Mbps and this is my speed test result while connected to PIA.

I'm using the PIA reccomended settings.
djmagnifique is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2018, 16:55   #17
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I only lose 25 or so Mb from my 100 (and a bit) connection using Nord and I get the full amount when I'm not using it.

This has been my experience with Cable pretty much I get the amount it says I should (unlike ADSL where its a lottery)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 18:55   #18
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
I'm on 200Mbps and this is my speed test result while connected to PIA.

I'm using the PIA reccomended settings.

I obviously have an issue; the speeds I quoted were from my wired laptop operating through a Plugable USB hub. Using my iPad and iPhone wirelessly with PIA I also get full speed of over 100Mbps
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 16:43   #19
akwe-xavante
Inactive

akwe-xavante is an unknown quantity at this point

I just don't get why people use VPN services and slow down there access to the internet.

If your online activities are not illegal then I ask why your using a VPN?

Yes you can surf the net anonymously! or can you................ VPN companies collect and store your activities online for a minimum period of two years. This data is accessible by the policing authorities as required. For example.... you download a copyrighted film that requires the payment of royalties, free. Or you rob a bank or use stolen banking info to empty someone’s bank account of £30K!

The policing authorities can make a request to the VPN company to find out information about you, with this info they make a second request for information to your ISP. It is the info that they get secondly from your ISP that identifies who you are...... Got You!

A VPN just gives the policing authorities another hoop to jump through to get you.

VPN companies sell the data they collect from users too! So your use of the internet is not private either.
akwe-xavante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 16:55   #20
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwe-xavante View Post
I just don't get why people use VPN services and slow down there access to the internet.

If your online activities are not illegal then I ask why your using a VPN?

Yes you can surf the net anonymously! or can you................ VPN companies collect and store your activities online for a minimum period of two years. This data is accessible by the policing authorities as required. For example.... you download a copyrighted film that requires the payment of royalties, free. Or you rob a bank or use stolen banking info to empty someone’s bank account of £30K!

The policing authorities can make a request to the VPN company to find out information about you, with this info they make a second request for information to your ISP. It is the info that they get secondly from your ISP that identifies who you are...... Got You!

A VPN just gives the policing authorities another hoop to jump through to get you.

VPN companies sell the data they collect from users too! So your use of the internet is not private either.
On my cable connection even allowing for up to 1/3 loss of speed it's not really noticeable so a non issue.

You just get a provider from outside of the 14 eyes jurisdiction, then its a non-issue.

Someone who keeps minimal or zero logs is a plus too, they can't hand over anything that doesn't exist.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 20:31   #21
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwe-xavante View Post

There are plenty of VPN providers who do not hold any logs. There are even some free providers these days who don't log anything except last connection time, but these are few and far between.

With ever increasing big brother watching everything you spend and every website you visit, a VPN gives you some privacy back if done right. Different levels of privacy from different levels of 'watcher' require more work than just a VPN but at least with a VPN the police officer brother of the girl you are dating isn't able to checkup on every site you visit just to be nosy. If you want to visit amputee bondage sites in the privacy of your own home, why should anyone else have the right to see that you visited such a site? The problem is it's not just the police that can access the 2 years of ISP Internet Connection Records (ICR's), it's organisations like the Food standards agency, The Gambling commission and Welsh ambulance service.....everyone and their dog.

List from the independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7436251.html

Quote:
Metropolitan Police Service
City of London Police
Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
Police Service of Scotland
Police Service of Northern Ireland
British Transport Police
Ministry of Defence Police
Royal Navy Police
Royal Military Police
Royal Air Force Police
Security Service
Secret Intelligence Service
GCHQ
Ministry of Defence
Department of Health
Home Office
Ministry of Justice
National Crime Agency
HM Revenue & Customs
Department for Transport
Department for Work and Pensions
NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
Common Services Agency for the Scottish Health Service
Competition and Markets Authority
Criminal Cases Review Commission
Department for Communities in Northern Ireland
Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland
Department of Justice in Northern Ireland
Financial Conduct Authority
Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
Food Standards Agency
Food Standards Scotland
Gambling Commission
Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
Health and Safety Executive
Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
Information Commissioner
NHS Business Services Authority
Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Regional Business Services Organisation
Office of Communications
Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
Scottish Ambulance Service Board
Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
Serious Fraud Office
Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust
Also a vpn or anonymity can help free speech. People speak more freely if they feel they can do so anonymously or without being chased by litigation happy people.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote