Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Router

Old 10-05-2005, 10:28   #1
Paddy
Inactive

Paddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Router

Hi, I'm looking at getting a wireless router so's i can move me pc(without having cables all over).
1. Can the router connect into me set top box, before going to a pc?
2. Can I connect more than 1 pc?
3. Can anyone recommend a good 1?
Cheers, Pad.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2005, 10:37   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: Wireless Router

Hi, & to the site.

Without wishing to sound harsh, this is a very common question, & one that can be easily answered by looking through the forum you have posted this in.

Here's a couple of places to start....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/se...earchid=520315

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=66

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=27977

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=27767
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:39   #3
McGraw
Inactive

McGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about them

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Belkin stuff is good my Dad has it and I have Linksys so can recommend that too.

He has ADSL so I have only used the ADSL Routers. My Linksys is a cable router only. 11Mpbps only but fine for internet.

My Dad got his stuff from www.savastore.com. £100 for a 125 ADSL router, PCMCIA card and PCI card bundle. Very good value.
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59   #4
Paddy
Inactive

Thanks Neil, but the reason this is my 3rd post in over a year is because I try to find(with a search) what I need to know before asking, but after looking through some of the 200 posts on this subject, it only confused me more.
Cheers McGraw, I'll ave a look.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:31   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

One small point.

if you get a WAP (wireless access point) to connect to a non-wireless router make sure that they are the same manufacturer.
I have a Belkin non Wi-Fi Router and tried to fix a linksys WAP to it and couldn't get them to work.
I believe that there should be no problems with different Wi-Fi cards though

I personally have a Belkin Cable/DSL router, Belkin WAP 802.11g, & Belkin 802.11g Wi-Fi PCMCIA in my Laptop
Old 10-05-2005, 12:58   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

OK, if you want to connect more than one PC, you should use a router. Most wireless routers will also allow wired connections.

Thus you wire between the STB/Cable Modem and Router.

From the router you have the option to hardwire or go wireless, or both.

Individual PCs can thus connect to a wireless router by having their own wireless adaptor card (some modern PCs and especially laptops may already have this built in). Or you can connect via ethernet cable between the router and PC.

If you only use an access point, in place of the router, the system should work, but you would only be able to use one PC at any one time.

If buying today I would recommend you go for the "g" rather than older "b" standard wireless. It works faster. "b" kit will generally work on "g" networks, but only at the "b" speeds.

The sketch attached to this post shows my combination network setup:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...9&postcount=11
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 14:28   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My wireless access point plugs directly inyo a spare port of my route thus enabling me to access my router from my wireless laptop

(WAP can be also used to connect over a distance as well entending the range in the process)
Old 10-05-2005, 15:12   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Anyone know where I can get a cheap wireless access point that will work with a linksys wired router ?
Some I've seen cost loads for what they are.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 15:31   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Anyone know where I can get a cheap wireless access point that will work with a linksys wired router ?
ebay

When I went to wireless I flogged my wired router on ebay and bought a new wireless one. It worked out a fraction cheaper than if I had just got the acess point. Access points are silly prices when you consider the extra functions of wireless routers.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 15:40   #10
Paddy
Inactive

Thanks for the advice so far. Another question is will it slow my internet/pc down?
Thanks again, Pad.
Old 10-05-2005, 15:45   #11
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

It will not slow down processing on the wireless PC.

If all you are using the wireless PC for is internet surfing then in generall things will not get slower, providing you have a good connection the wireless link will stay above 5Mb and will be faster than your BB connection.

Depending on which level of NTL speed you are on it is possible for the wirleess network speed to drop below the speed of the interntet access (now), but as most single sites will not use the full capacity of a 1Mb BB connection this will not noticably slow your connection.

If you file and printer share then the wireless may be a bit slower than wired, it also may be less reliable. I always find my wireless connection drops when I open 100Mb Outlook.pst files for example.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 15:57   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
I strongly recomend that you get a linksys WAP other wise you may get problems, I had problems getting a linksys WAP to be seen by my belkin wired router (never got 'em to find each other) I had to replace the WAP with a Belkin one.
Old 10-06-2005, 14:58   #13
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

To avoid starting a new thread...

Probably a daft question, but...

Do all routers as standard (as far as people know) give you the option to restrict internet access for certain machines? i.e. I want to stop, for example, 5 machines from having internet access, but still have access to the intranet, and take advantage of the dhcp function of the router?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 14:59   #14
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Not sure about all but I'm sure that most will do.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 15:01   #15
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Not sure about all but I'm sure that most will do.
That's what I thought - think as long as I stick to the major brands I should be fine.

Ta
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote