Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Opening ports on a Virgin Hub 3.0

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Opening ports on a Virgin Hub 3.0

Old 29-10-2018, 19:54   #1
geoffchesh
Inactive

geoffchesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Opening ports on a Virgin Hub 3.0

Hi,

I am trying to set up a video doorbell on my wifi network. I'm currently using a Virgin Hub 3.0

The manufacturers have specified that the following ports should be available:

TCP in 50157 - 65168
TCP out 80, 443, 9998
UDP in 68, 50534 - 62946
UDP out 53, 123, 5353

Can anyone advise me how I should make sure that these ports are available please ?

Thanks

Geoff
geoffchesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2018, 20:22   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Opening ports on a Virgin Hub 3.0

Log in to the hub go to Advanced settings/Security/port forwarding and create the port rules there.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 21:08   #3
geoffchesh
Inactive

geoffchesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Log in to the hub go to Advanced settings/Security/port forwarding and create the port rules there.
Thanks - I thought of that, but the device does not have an IP address yet. Not sure how the port forwarding words without one of those
geoffchesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:49   #4
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffchesh View Post
Thanks - I thought of that, but the device does not have an IP address yet. Not sure how the port forwarding words without one of those
Wouldn't bother. The Hub 3.0 is a POS.You cannot even reliably assign fixed ip addresses to MAC addresses. The path of least resistance is to use Modem Mode and buy a reasonable router.

My pick is the ASUS RT-AC68U. Good router that you can buy on eBay for ~£70-80.

Don't forget, your time and piece of mind is worth something ..

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Forget to ask: when you say "video doorbell", do you mean the Ring device? I have one connected to my ASUS network and it works fine ..

I did not have to add any port forwarding in my router for the doorbell. I may be wrong but if the router supports UPnP (which the Hub 3.0 claims to) then you just need to connect to the 2.4GHz network.

Please PM me if you want to discuss anything?
Old 31-10-2018, 10:50   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffchesh View Post
I have never used any shub in router mode so I am not au fait with the gui but on a normal router you would connect the device to your network, let the router see the mac address and assign it an ip address and then go into a lan management/dhcp leasing option and assign a static ip address to the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
The path of least resistance is to use Modem Mode and buy a reasonable router. My pick is the ASUS RT-AC68U.
me too, and an example of what I have already described above is below and this is how easy and straight forward things should be if you have a proper router:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Don't forget, your time and piece of mind is worth something
couldn't have said it better myself
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote