Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2020, 10:04   #3331
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks, so the lockdown was to delay the numbers of people getting the virus so that the NHS wasn't overwhelmed.
That has been the one true and consistent message that has come from the CMO, CSO and Government and (Old Boy to be fair, although his message of same numbers dying was a bit off.)

It's only ever been about the NHS and making sure there was an ICU and Ventilator there for you if you needed it, and other NHS services for everyone.

Quote:
Now that the peak has passed, people can go back to work (with cautionary measures) as the NHS will be able to cope with the inevitable number of extra people who will catch and/or die from Covid-19 and that the Government believes that this is worth it to protect the economy as any further damage to it would cause even more problems to our society.

Is that a fair summary?
give that man a lollipop.

It's only taken 2 months but at least he has it now. Others on here should take note.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:00   #3332
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Added
Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
That's pretty much it. I will add that also people will start rebelling the longer they are locked down for no noticeable reason and with the data we've collected in this time this could give the technocrats more confidence they can predict and manage the situation.
Many thanks for confirming that i've understood this correctly; I have cognitive issues.

Do you know if there is there any good reason why France & Ireland are exempt from the quarantine requirements?

The EU are now saying that this should include every country in the EU and are threatening a legal challenge! Seems ridiculous as we only have 7 months to go:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ine-exemption/

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-05-2020 at 11:19. Reason: Added EU link.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:33   #3333
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Depends if you’re blaming central government or not?
Just answering Seph's question about the issues in care homes.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:47   #3334
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Added

Many thanks for confirming that i've understood this correctly; I have cognitive issues.

Do you know if there is there any good reason why France & Ireland are exempt from the quarantine requirements?

The EU are now saying that this should include every country in the EU and are threatening a legal challenge! Seems ridiculous as we only have 7 months to go:

I suspect this is a political issue. I mean you can make arguments that there is no reason to exclude places that have the same level of infection and the same preventative measures. I don't understand enough to say one way or another.

Also I don't want to give the impression everything the government says is right and everything the scientists say is sacrosanct. There's already been blatant lies and manipulation from some sectors. It's not clear to me there is an overwhelmingly optimal strategy so there will be political disagreement.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:47   #3335
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Added

As you'd expect me to say, all the more reason to sever completely from their jurisdiction.

However, from a CV perspective, while we're bound by the WA the EU is right. The Guvmin's announcement excluding the French from quarantine in the UK is arbitrary and I would expect better from them especially since it seems that Boris responded to a threat from Germany's running dog, France.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:55   #3336
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Public Health England have approved a new Roche test for coronavirus antibodies. It seems that the original test, which we ordered in early May, which was shown to have ......
Quote:
failed to come up to standard. The best were said to have been 70% accurate and most no more than 50%. Health secretary Matt Hancock, who had bought 3m of them, was said to be seeking the government’s money back.
...has now been improved and given a 100% accuracy rating at PHE's Porton Down Labs.

Quote:
The Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 serology test is processed in laboratories using Roche analysers that hospitals already have. Roche says its fully automated systems can provide results in approximately 18 minutes for one single test, with a capability to do 300 tests an hour, depending on the analyser.

Prof John Newton, national coordinator of the UK coronavirus testing programme, told the Telegraph that experts at PHE’s Porton Down labs had evaluated the test and confirmed the 100% accuracy.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a9513361.html

I just hope these tests really do work and that we will be able to see whether the antibodies have a long life span, whether mild cases can even develop the antibodies and hopefully see whether we are any where near to herd immunity. If they can be used to get results on people who had a recorded positive test for CV19 early on it may give us a small measure of hope.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:59   #3337
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

This is an interesting development.

Coronavirus: New 100% accurate COVID-19 antibody test approved for use in UK
Old 14-05-2020, 12:00   #3338
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Public Health England have approved a new Roche test for coronavirus antibodies. It seems that the original test, which we ordered in early May, which was shown to have ...... ...has now been improved and given a 100% accuracy rating at PHE's Porton Down Labs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a9513361.html

I just hope these tests really do work and that we will be able to see whether the antibodies have a long life span, whether mild cases can even develop the antibodies and hopefully see whether we are any where near to herd immunity. If they can be used to get results on people who had a recorded positive test for CV19 early on it may give us a small measure of hope.
Sounds promising.
Old 14-05-2020, 12:02   #3339
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Always strikes me as suspicious that a test, done by a professional body, can suddenly change from 50% accuracy to 100% accuracy.

Makes me wonder where the original failing was, and what else they've got wrong over the last few months

aaah, seems I misunderstood the post by joglynne, and this is a new test, not the old one revisited

Last edited by Carth; 14-05-2020 at 12:12.
Old 14-05-2020, 12:06   #3340
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sounds promising.
As jo says it gives us hope..
Old 14-05-2020, 12:08   #3341
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Always strikes me as suspicious that a test, done by a professional body, can suddenly change from 50% accuracy to 100% accuracy.

Makes me wonder where the original failing was, and what else they've got wrong over the last few months
Different test kits from different producers? Test kits revised?
Old 14-05-2020, 12:14   #3342
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Different test kits from different producers? Test kits revised?
Already edited my post to admit a slight reading error
Old 14-05-2020, 12:23   #3343
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
give that man a lollipop.

It's only taken 2 months but at least he has it now. Others on here should take note.
Take note of what exactly? The Government haven't extended the furlough scheme til October because this is over, not by a long shot.

The Government and still significantly restricting the numbers and types of social interactions that it wants to take place, and will continue to do so for the rest of 2020.
Old 14-05-2020, 12:53   #3344
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I think the original test was based on a self applied pin prick test which from past experience is not as accurate as a blood tests taken as an Arterial sample or the most commonly used, and less painful, Venipuncture Sampling. I suspect that using the Venipuncture sampling method is what has give the test a better end result.

To be honest I am only basing my theory on my experiences of using a prick test versus a V sample when obtaining accurate blood glucose levels. So don't try to engage me any scientific arguments 'cause I not joining in on this treads play times..

Add/ I certainly hope they don't use Arterial testing as that is what I have when I have my quarterly checkup on the state of my immune system problem and that way of obtaining a sample is bloody painful.

Last edited by joglynne; 14-05-2020 at 12:59.
Old 14-05-2020, 13:04   #3345
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Take note of what exactly? The Government haven't extended the furlough scheme til October because this is over, not by a long shot.

The Government and still significantly restricting the numbers and types of social interactions that it wants to take place, and will continue to do so for the rest of 2020.
This is where Guvmin's fingers crossed (end of October) meets your vision of reality.

My advice is at your risk.
Closed Thread