Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2020, 17:31   #7801
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I find Amazon isn't as cheap these days , I recently stopped my auto renewal for Prime and to be honest can't say I've missed it.
l say each household to their own as for some households it worth it to have Amazon Prime and to other households it might not represent value.
Old 20-07-2020, 19:04   #7802
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What you might call cutting off your nose to spite your face?

People choose to work for Amazon, and there are plenty of employment protection laws in place. And as Den says, it's up to the government to set the tax rates and the rules under which they are applied.

Whatever. If you choose to pay more to shop elsewhere, I guess that's your choice. I would far rather shop with Amazon than spend money on fuel or public transport to get into town and then spend more in overcrowded shops with poor customer services. I can find better ways to spend my time.
Tbh OB everything i've bought has been substantionally cheaper elsewhere than it would of been on Amazon, a lot with free next day delivery too.
It pays to shop around use a comparason tool (hence why i know it was cheaper than Amazon)
Old 20-07-2020, 19:35   #7803
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Tbh OB everything i've bought has been substantionally cheaper elsewhere than it would of been on Amazon, a lot with free next day delivery too.
It pays to shop around use a comparason tool (hence why i know it was cheaper than Amazon)
The main thing with Prime is its convenient it makes shopping easy the downside is it sometimes makes you less likely to look around and compare.

I've also managed to source a lot of the products I've been looking for cheaper elsewhere I guess it really depends how much you use the features of Prime we weren't using the streaming side much or many of the other perks hence the reason we didn't renew.
Old 20-07-2020, 19:41   #7804
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
The main thing with Prime is its convenient it makes shopping easy the downside is it sometimes makes you less likely to look around and compare.

I've also managed to source a lot of the products I've been looking for cheaper elsewhere I guess it really depends how much you use the features of Prime we weren't using the streaming side much or many of the other perks hence the reason we didn't renew.
Agree with everything you said here.
Old 20-07-2020, 20:43   #7805
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l say each household to their own as for some households it worth it to have Amazon Prime and to other households it might not represent value.
To my mind, it is very good value, but only if you use it. We use it all the time and get deliveries most days, so we save a fortune on postage and packing, and the prices are generally excellent when you compare with the shops. When you also add the video service as one of the benefits of Prime, it is extraordinary value.

But of course if you choose not to shop with them or go to their streaming site, then it is not good value at all! You could say that about anything!

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Quote:
Yes, you may get better value sometimes with other sites, but I was comparing Amazon with the High Street shops.
Old 21-07-2020, 03:33   #7806
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
To my mind, it is very good value, but only if you use it. We use it all the time and get deliveries most days, so we save a fortune on postage and packing, and the prices are generally excellent when you compare with the shops. When you also add the video service as one of the benefits of Prime, it is extraordinary value.

But of course if you choose not to shop with them or go to their streaming site, then it is not good value at all! You could say that about anything!

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Yes, you may get better value sometimes with other sites, but I was comparing Amazon with the High Street shops.
You can't really compare the two tbh, high street stores have a lot more overheads than online stores also i've seen quite a few items cheaper in a store than on Amazon too.
However i do understand that some people will of found prime a godsend during lockdown etc, and if you do use prime a lot it can be value for money regarding postage costs and if you use their streaming service too.
Old 21-07-2020, 09:42   #7807
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Many online retailers do free next day delivery without having to subscribe to anything, sometimes at cheaper prices than Amazon.
Argos 'click and collect' is very convenient and often at an excellent price.
Old 21-07-2020, 09:49   #7808
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Many online retailers do free next day delivery without having to subscribe to anything, sometimes at cheaper prices than Amazon.
As l say one size does not fit all households and never has done as its in the eye of the beholder as to what they believe represents value for their household.
Old 21-07-2020, 10:43   #7809
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You can't really compare the two tbh, high street stores have a lot more overheads than online stores also i've seen quite a few items cheaper in a store than on Amazon too.
In one sense of course, you're right, but from the customer's point of view, the additional overheads incurred by shops on the High Street are irrelevant. What matters for the customer is the price, quality and the ease of purchasing.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
That also is true but Amazon has a better range of products than Argos and deliver to your door.
Old 21-07-2020, 11:08   #7810
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That also is true but Amazon has a better range of products than Argos and deliver to your door.
Argos have been getting better with that, and before Covid-19 were having more and more items available as part of their Fast Track same day delivery

https://www.argos.co.uk/features/del...track:lightbox

As you say it is a different target market to Amazon, but competition where available is never a bad thing!

And Sainsbury's are also now rolling out a service that covers the food equivalent of Prime Now https://chopchopapp.co.uk/

Last edited by BenMcr; 21-07-2020 at 11:11.
Old 21-07-2020, 12:39   #7811
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I was subscribing to try some of these streaming services but have now cancelled all but Netflix and YouTube Premium.
Old 21-07-2020, 13:01   #7812
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Youtube premium is finishing so you are going to be reduced to Netflix shortly.
Old 21-07-2020, 16:29   #7813
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Netflix is undoubtedly the best and is the most popular. The number of new programmes they churn out every week is amazing. I add a new series for me to watch every week or so, which gives me plenty of choice.

Amazon is next, but the stuff on there can be difficult to find unless you know what you are looking for, because the display menu is a bit more limited and so for anything else you need the title to do a search. Some also don't like the fact that not everything is free of extra charge on there, but these are the programmes for which they do not hold the rights. I'm content with that, as sometimes I really want to access a programme and ppv may be the only way of doing that. At least I know where to go to access that.

Currently, I have Apple+ and StarzPlay on trial, but both have a much more limited menu. However, there are some good programmes on them both, which I must make time to view before the trials run out. Not sure whether or not to subscribe, but could be tempted if the new originals start coming through regularly, and provided they are any good.

DPlay does not include the good documentaries available on Discovery (just the low grade stuff) and Disney + is popular with families. Neither, however, are of interest to me.

It will be interesting to see what Peacock will look like when it is launched, and the good news there is that this streamer will have both free and subscription options.

Britbox and Acorn TV are all right if you like archive programmes, but I have no interest in watching programmes more than once. However, if you love the British content, one of these may be for you!

Of all the players, I definitely think the BBC i-Player is way out in front. ITV Hub is poor, All 4 better and My5 is remarkably good for a player. I like the Pluto stuff on there. Pluto itself is a little unusual, with both live and on demand content. I watched two programmes on there at the weekend - one on the Beatles breakup and the other on George Harrison.

So those who baulk at all these different streamers, I would say this. You only have to subscribe to the ones that appeal to you. I am into streaming in a big way, but I am currently only paying for two. In time, I think most streamers will be offering free content with ads as well as a subscription option. I guess most will be happy with that.

I sign off with the caveat regarding sport streamers. I do understand the problems people raise about how expensive these could turn out to be, particularly if there are separate streamers for separate sports. I think that in time, this will sort itself out with consolidation, and Sky is bound to be very involved in sports provision in the future by both satellite and IPTV.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
That never really appealed to me, and Facebook Watch is of no interest either.
Old 21-07-2020, 16:32   #7814
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Must admit not heard that do you have a link?
Old 21-07-2020, 17:56   #7815
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Must admit not heard that do you have a link?
Not sure YouTube Premium (as in a paid ad free tier) is ending but they have by and large exited the premium scripted space they were dabbling in...
Closed Thread