Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 16-09-2014, 14:12   #2266
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

The No Campaign are really cranking things up in my area. On Sunday they where going door to door to have a chat. On Monday I received a No Thanks leaflet from Better Together and today I've received another leaflet from Scottish Labour advising "It's not worth the risk".

As a No voter myself I'm proud to be Scottish and proud to be British. I will be devastated if we vote YES on Thursday. I feel my identity and way of life is at risk of being changed against my will. I simply don't trust the promises being made by the YES campaign and have real concerns about how fanatical some of their supporters have become. I can honestly say I identify more with our English neighbours than those who are YES minded.

Whatever the result on Thursday, Scotland is a nation divided. It might take more than a generation for the damage to be repaired. I can't see whoever loses this week accepting defeat and turning the other cheek.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2014, 14:46   #2267
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Perhaps the Government are bearing in mind the negative economic effects of breaking up the Union - the first split up of a democratic (continuously, not post Soviet) country in the last hundred years.

Perhaps continuing the Barnett Formula makes economic sense then?

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Agreed.

Also, the Scottish independence referendum really only happened because it was assumed the vote would be a definitive no, a sure thing. Once it became apparent that the result might not be so predictable, the gov is suddenly having kittens....

Just like a lot of things really, we'll only get a referendum on the EU when the gov is certain they'll get their way. Is that really democracy when the gov only allows us a say when they're sure they'll get their way? I really don't think so, although it gives the illusion of democracy, this time its backfired and possibly too many people have seen through their BS. Too many, as in the gov might just lose this little gamble.

I'm all for a divorce from Westminster, and I hope the Yes camp win. If the rest of us ever get the chance to divorce from Westminster, I sure hope we do the right thing and vote Yes too.
Not sure regions like the South West and the North East could survive economically on their own.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 16:20   #2268
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Given he and the rest of the politicians have, in a desperate knee-jerk attempt to bribe the Scottish electorate, promised them the continuation of the Barnett formula for the foreseeable along with 'extensive powers' for the Scottish Parliament you're absolutely right he is damned.

After arrogantly discounting the possibility of a 'yes' vote they suddenly scramble like headless chickens and start opening the cheque book, the one you and I fund, to bribe the Scots to stay in the union.

He, Milliband and Clegg are all damned; spineless *******s.
Which I why I wrote this:

Quote:
With the general election not far away, I'm hoping the English electorate will bear very carefully in mind what the likes of Clegg, Miliband and Cameron say/do after the vote and to what extent, if any, they consider the feelings and wishes of the English before making important concessions.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 17:08   #2269
Sparkle
cf.mega poster

Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Independence for Scotland and the Scots is a huge mistake and nothing will ever persuade me otherwise.

They will regret a yes vote big time.
They all say that at the time, they even said the same thing about the American colonies when they wanted independence, also the same with many commonwealth countries really. Go to Ireland and ask how many want to be back under British rule. Don't kid yourself, noone wants to be back under British rule. Its not because English people are unscrupulous and unsavory, rather its just that people are fed up with the incompetence of the British government - and for good reason.

If Scotland is such a drain on the British economy (as so many south of the border love to remind us at every opportunity) then those concerned should be glad to see the Scots leave.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 18:26   #2270
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
They all say that at the time, they even said the same thing about the American colonies when they wanted independence, also the same with many commonwealth countries really. Go to Ireland and ask how many want to be back under British rule. Don't kid yourself, noone wants to be back under British rule. Its not because English people are unscrupulous and unsavory, rather its just that people are fed up with the incompetence of the British government - and for good reason.

If Scotland is such a drain on the British economy (as so many south of the border love to remind us at every opportunity) then those concerned should be glad to see the Scots leave.
They will be and they'll be mightily upset by the lengths to which their elected representatives seem willing to go to keep them in the 'union'. The English certainly don't have the monopoly on bad/inept govt. and it's ironic that 2 of the most inept PM's in recent times have been Scottish. Whatever happens now it'll be interesting to see how well or poorly Scotland's new govt. performs and whether they represent any improvement over typical 'British' govt.
Old 16-09-2014, 18:44   #2271
RizzyKing

I honestly couldn't care less about the economics of a split I'm sick and tired of being the convenient villain for that merry band of Scots that blame everyone else for the troubles and even now ruk is blamed for the NHS despite the fact a Scots government has been handling that for a while. I want Scotland to go so when you screw up you only have yourselves to blame. Of course there will be an economic impact but I'm sure ruk will survive and go on to prosper again. As for being fed up with the Westminster government join the bloody club were all fed up with politicians unfortunately England hasn't the option to break away or form our own goverment. Maybe I wouldn't be so angry if Scotland was prepared to pay their way if they split but your brilliant Scots politicians have already said "give us all we want or we walk away from the debt" yeah your really raising the bar. Vote yes go away and be happy because while not many in the rest of ruk are having a great time at the minute an end to this issue will raise a smile for a while. Oh and I'm half Scots father from Kirkcaldy just in case I got accused of being "one of them of them whinging English".
Old 16-09-2014, 19:06   #2272
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I honestly couldn't care less about the economics of a split I'm sick and tired of being the convenient villain for that merry band of Scots that blame everyone else for the troubles and even now ruk is blamed for the NHS despite the fact a Scots government has been handling that for a while. I want Scotland to go so when you screw up you only have yourselves to blame. Of course there will be an economic impact but I'm sure ruk will survive and go on to prosper again. As for being fed up with the Westminster government join the bloody club were all fed up with politicians unfortunately England hasn't the option to break away or form our own goverment. Maybe I wouldn't be so angry if Scotland was prepared to pay their way if they split but your brilliant Scots politicians have already said "give us all we want or we walk away from the debt" yeah your really raising the bar. Vote yes go away and be happy because while not many in the rest of ruk are having a great time at the minute an end to this issue will raise a smile for a while. Oh and I'm half Scots father from Kirkcaldy just in case I got accused of being "one of them of them whinging English".
If you're proposing an English referendum I'll second that!
Old 16-09-2014, 19:13   #2273
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Recently said by a comedian; When Scotland was allowed to choose their own national animal, they chose a unicorn..... what could possibly go wrong with them making all their own decisions in the future?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:29   #2274
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
. Don't kid yourself, noone wants to be back under British rule. Its not because English people are unscrupulous and unsavory, rather its just that people are fed up with the incompetence of the British government - and for good reason.
Firstly, Scottish isn't British ?

secondly, just how many Scots where in the Government from 97 -10?
Old 16-09-2014, 21:54   #2275
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

This is a really good article and well worth a read.

Ewan Morrison – YES: Why I Joined Yes and Why I Changed to No

Getting fed up with the narrow minded behaviour of some of my friends on facebook that plan on voting Yes. Jumping on every single thing I mention about remaining part of the UK and barraging me with silly links to wings over Scotland and trying to prove everything that isn't what they want to hear is wrong.

Even my sister in law has changed her profile pic to one stating, Vote yes, don't be a %&*£! bag!

Disgraceful.
Old 16-09-2014, 21:56   #2276
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

There's a new name for the rabid YES supporters who are using bullying, abusive and intimidating behaviour towards those who don't share their views and opinions..... the YEStapo. Pretty sure it will be trending soon enough on social media.
Old 16-09-2014, 22:01   #2277
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
There's a new name for the rabid YES supporters who are using bullying, abusive and intimidating behaviour towards those who don't share their views and opinions..... the YEStapo. Pretty sure it will be trending soon enough on social media.
"GestapNO" sounds just as catchy though.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 22:12   #2278
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
"GestapNO" sounds just as catchy though.
It doesn't roll off the tongue as well

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This is a really good article and well worth a read.

Ewan Morrison – YES: Why I Joined Yes and Why I Changed to No

Getting fed up with the narrow minded behaviour of some of my friends on facebook that plan on voting Yes. Jumping on every single thing I mention about remaining part of the UK and barraging me with silly links to wings over Scotland and trying to prove everything that isn't what they want to hear is wrong.

Even my sister in law has changed her profile pic to one stating, Vote yes, don't be a %&*£! bag!

Disgraceful.
Very interesting article. It seems to hit the nail on the head in terms of what I've experienced when trying to discuss the referendum with friends who support YES. Have a section of YES supporters been brainwashed?
Old 16-09-2014, 23:03   #2279
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I think that the worst news, if the vote is Yes. Is that Celtic and Rangers can forget about playing in the English Premier League of the Football League.

That one has already been decided according to newspapers in London. According to FIFA, this wont be allowed.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 23:15   #2280
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Hang on, you think that of all the things that Scotland will lose out on if there(god forbid) is a yes win is that the old firm wouldn't be able to play in English football??

hahaha once in a while Arthur you actually make me laugh.