Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug is it the solution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Homeplug is it the solution?

Old 21-09-2005, 09:01   #16
zing_deleted

Re: Homeplug is it the solution?

Theres a lot of peeps who favour one over another.You own a router and if you go with the Homeplug idea your only going to be using the wired switches so I would try with that one first
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2005, 09:24   #17
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
Theres a lot of peeps who favour one over another.You own a router and if you go with the Homeplug idea your only going to be using the wired switches so I would try with that one first
yeah well i have my belkin 54g, and was gonna buy x2 plugs one for my pc and one for downstairs pc for brother, who currently uses wifi usb adaptor! i could buy another wired or wireless homeplug for my xbox if needed.
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 10:51   #18
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
yeah well i have my belkin 54g, and was gonna buy x2 plugs one for my pc and one for downstairs pc for brother, who currently uses wifi usb adaptor! i could buy another wired or wireless homeplug for my xbox if needed.
you wont need one for your pc as you can connect direct to router you will however need one for the router to plug into and one for each external client
Old 21-09-2005, 11:15   #19
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
you wont need one for your pc as you can connect direct to router you will however need one for the router to plug into and one for each external client
ah right so my pc connects to router. and cable modem attachs to router as normal then i just connect plug for router and plug for downstairs pc???
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 11:26   #20
zing_deleted

yes
Old 24-09-2005, 16:57   #21
Hawkwinddotcom
Inactive

Hawkwinddotcom will become famous soon enoughHawkwinddotcom will become famous soon enoughHawkwinddotcom will become famous soon enough

Buying these soon
Hawkwinddotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 17:08   #22
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwinddotcom
cool how many? 85mbps good speed make sure you let us know how you get on
Old 24-09-2005, 22:23   #23
Hawkwinddotcom
Inactive

Hawkwinddotcom will become famous soon enoughHawkwinddotcom will become famous soon enoughHawkwinddotcom will become famous soon enough

Not bought yet until house extension is built but will be buying a set.

I did think of buying the cheaper version with a top speed of (i think) 14mb but with the blueyonder upgrades coming along i thought may as well spend a few more quid and be future proof (ish) for a while.
Hawkwinddotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:33   #24
johnw35
Inactive

johnw35 is on a distinguished roadjohnw35 is on a distinguished road

I get my ntl broadband through the set-top-box via ethernet connections. I am thinking of getting a pair of Netgear XE104 homeplugs (85Mbps). All I want to do is share the broadband between 2 computers.
Can the ethernet lead from the set-top-box be plugged direct into the XE104 or is it necessary to have a router between them?
I have had conflicting advice, so help from anyone with direct knowledge would be appreciated
johnw35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:44   #25
zing_deleted

quite a bump but for using search
you will need a router as the stb will only allocate 1 ip .You could wire the stb to 1 pc as normal then use a crossover cable to 1st homeplug then crossover cable from 2nd homeplug to pc2 and set up connection sharing not the best option. TBH you would be better off buying a wireless router and a usb adapter for 2nd pc this would be cheaper
Old 03-10-2006, 13:00   #26
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Just to add my 2p worth, I bought a pair of Homeplug 14Mbps ethernet adapters from ebay a few months ago. Recently one stopped working, so I contacted the manufacturer in Hull (http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm) who swapped the bad unit for a good one - free of charge! Excellent customer service, excellent products.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 13:13   #27
zing_deleted

I have used these in a few networks and all has been well but ive used them in conjunction with routers
Old 03-10-2006, 19:28   #28
johnw35
Inactive

johnw35 is on a distinguished roadjohnw35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
quite a bump but for using search
you will need a router as the stb will only allocate 1 ip .You could wire the stb to 1 pc as normal then use a crossover cable to 1st homeplug then crossover cable from 2nd homeplug to pc2 and set up connection sharing not the best option. TBH you would be better off buying a wireless router and a usb adapter for 2nd pc this would be cheaper
Many thanks for the info. You are the first and ONLY person who has explained that the STB will only allocate 1 ip - hence the need for a router.
Wireless could be tricky due to the construction of the house.
johnw35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 20:15   #29
zing_deleted

simple wired router and 2 homeplugs then
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32   #30
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
simple wired router and 2 homeplugs then
I'll second that. Put one Homeplug device next to the router (but not through a "power conditioner"), and the other in any other socket in your home.

I really don't know why there is such a fuss made over wireless - it is not without problems, and in most situations is not necessary.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote