Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Only 8 Downstream channels, and getting 200Mbps, not the promised 400Mbps.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Only 8 Downstream channels, and getting 200Mbps, not the promised 400Mbps.

Old 28-05-2020, 10:47   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Only 8 Downstream channels, and getting 200Mbps, not the promised 400Mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
Tom left VM in June 2019. The new CEO is Lutz Schüler
my bad, emaill this guy instead

lutz.schueler@virginmedia.co.uk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-an...ten-complaint/
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2020, 13:43   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarandjo View Post

I asked if I could raise it to someone higher, but he said he's not been able to refer calls to a manager for "months".
He's definitely fobbed you off. Phone back up and tell them you want to raise a complaint. This is not escalating to his manager, this is raising a complaint within their official internal complaints system.

These complaints must be reviewed as OFCOM look at them and the complaints team have various powers retentions do not.

Once you get that far, Virgin will want to close this complaint asap - don't let them until you get a satisfactory result, which in real terms is either some money back off your bill or a change to a package that makes more sense or both.

As said, 400Mbps doesn't exist so that's not possible but they certainly could put you on 350Mbit and give you some money back to make up the difference.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 01:04   #18
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road

So I raised the complaint on the phone (29/05/2020). I was told I'd get a callback within 2 days. I didn't.

Then I got a letter on 10/06/2020 saying "we've been trying to get in touch" and supposedly weren't able to. They said to text a code to a number to arrange another callback. I did so, and again have heard nothing back.

This company is suck a p***take, I can't even raise a complaint.
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:35   #19
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Oh this is going to send some alarms internally. As you can see with the letter and the text, they go out of their way of trying to evidence that they're contacting you.

Ring up, make sure it's noted on your account and the complaint that you have NOT been contacted.
Old 21-06-2020, 02:43   #20
oscarandjo
cf.member

I've written a letter explaining the whole situation (including how I've been ignored).

I've always found that letters are much more effective than phone calls for getting stuff done, hopefully that works

Thanks for the advice.

Good news is that I now have a SuperHub 3 and have all the downstream channels I should.
It's funny, last time I had this router years ago I had to fight and fight to get them to give me the SuperHub 2AC back. It seems they've sorted most of the reliability issues now though.
Old 21-06-2020, 15:14   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarandjo View Post
last time I had this router years ago I had to fight and fight to get them to give me the SuperHub 2AC back.
I had that years ago pre-shub with my modem (ambit 300) and I had to go through the CEOs office for a replacement.
Old 03-07-2020, 18:31   #22
oscarandjo
cf.member

Incredibly Virgin Media have even ignored our letter. It's seemingly impossible to get anyone to even respond to our complaint.

Who should I raise this with next? The ombudsman? Ofcom?
Old 03-07-2020, 18:45   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Did you send it recorded delivery? Before you start accusing them of ignoring mail you need to be able prove they received it. I know plenty of peeps who have posted letters during the lockdown and none of them have arrived. I would say 80% of them vanished into fresh air. Royal Mail are shite.
Old 03-07-2020, 18:51   #24
oscarandjo
cf.member

Interesting. No we just posted second class.
Old 03-07-2020, 20:31   #25
General Maximus
Ran Away

Hopefully you typed it out and saved it and didn't handwrite it. Amend is slightly to reflect the current date and indicate that you had previously sent a letter on xx date to which you have had no reply. Take advantage of the opportunity to make sure you have explained the problem. Try not to be too whiny about it and be clear and concise. Tell them what you was told on the phone and all the bs you have had since such as being told phone calls are not recorded when you rang back to challenge them on it. They can't invent a new tier for you but they should be able to offer you a 12 month discount on your current plan. Anything you post tomorrow isn't going to move until Monday so I would take the weekend to refine it and then pop to the post office Monday morning. You just need to go to the counter and tell them you want it posting 1st Class Recorded Delivery. It will cost something around £1.20.
Old 12-07-2020, 17:09   #26
oscarandjo
cf.member

After sending a second letter I've finally gotten a response. It just says they acknowledge my letter and will call at some point in the future... I wonder how long this whole thing is going to take...
Old 12-07-2020, 20:37   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

to be fair they look into the issue before they ring you so when they talk to you they aren't ringing to get more information, they are ringing to let you know what they are going to do to fix it. Hopefully you'll get a phone call this week during business hours. I imagine they'll tell you they have listened to the phone call, apologised for the confusions and will offer you a hefty discount for the remainder of your contract.
Old 17-07-2020, 09:05   #28
oscarandjo
cf.member

The letter I received from Virgin said that I would get a call back within 7 days. It's now been 7 days with no call...
Old 17-07-2020, 15:48   #29
General Maximus
Ran Away

Not good dude. This could have been an easy complaint for them to sort out and get off the system but they are choosing to make it worse. Coronavirus isn't an excuse, if there is increased demand or reduced staffing levels to the extent that they know they can't respond to complaints or queries in the normal time window then the letter should have reflected that and said 14 days (for example). Depending how strongly you feel about it you can take it further. To be fair though you aren't going to get anywhere just yet as although they said they would get back to you within 7 days, the rules say they have got 28 days.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...April-2020.pdf

If I were you I would get a piece of paper and start making a note of dates of when the first phone call was, when you rang back to query it, when you sent the letter they acknowledged receipt of etc etc so you have got a clear timeline of events.
Old 17-07-2020, 16:10   #30
Kushan

Looks like your next step is to get an ADA involved.

Fire off another letter asking them for a Deadlock letter, you can file the dispute with the ADA then. That should light the fire under their arse that they should have lit a while ago.