Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | FTP Throttling...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

FTP Throttling...

Old 22-02-2019, 12:47   #1
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Question FTP Throttling...

Hello chaps,

Anyone else noticed any speed capping on FTP? - I've been testing my own server from afar and it's a solid 15Mbps with no deviation whatsoever.

On the 350mb plan here, so would (like) to see the same 20meg I always see reported in line tests if possible!

Can't think of any WinServer bottlenecks. My router certainly has no upper bandwidth limits in-place...

Thanks,
Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2019, 13:08   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: FTP Throttling...

I find this happens a lot with my server even on other ISPs. I've usually found it's a limitation on a peering network rather than the ISP, often because it's taking a silly route or the latency is high. If your FTP client supports multiple connections per file then that will help, or splitting your files with winrar/winzip also helps so you can use multiple connections.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:28   #3
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I find seperating the files large ones with winrar works best anyway you can easily repair damaged CRC errors then
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 19:52   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I stream video via FTP from Livedrive. Even though my TV box is quad core with 8GB RAM, large videos file over 20Gb sometimes stutter.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 01:42   #5
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
If your FTP client supports multiple connections per file then that will help
I'll give this a bash, see what I get...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote