Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Solo: A Star Wars Story

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Old 09-04-2018, 12:25   #46
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

I can, I am not going to watch it. When I watch this I don't for 1 second believe this dude is Han Solo and if it wasn't for the fact that I knew the film was about him I would never make the connection. If you showed me some footage of him minus Chewie etc and asked me who he reminded me of I wouldn't have a clue. Lucas Film have a responsibility to find an actor (or train one) who can impersonate Han Solo as we know him and the way he talks, the inflections and body language. Nothing about this guy is Han Solo and tbh if they don't care and are willing to cast anybody then I would have done it for free for them. At least I would have studied the films and watched them a million times to try and get Han down to a T. I am not really getting what the story is supposed to be about from the trailer and for me there are no positives in this trailer which make me want to watch it (ever). This is the first time I have ever had an opportunity to talk about a film like this due to the rarity of the saga and story line (and the first time I have ever wanted to) but for me this film is all about risk and I am not prepared to risk it ruining the Han Solo character for me plus others such as Lando. I am quite happy to live in ignorant bliss and pretend it doesn't exist.

No No No No No

Last edited by General Maximus; 09-04-2018 at 12:33.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2018, 12:50   #47
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I find your comments a bit puzzling General.

You are comparing the Solo you know with the Solo that possibly was.

What happens in our younger years craft what we are in later life. I know I'm certainly not the same as I was in my twenties, in a few ways yes but in others certainly not.

I'm hoping this film will show how and why he became the Solo we know.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 13:18   #48
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I know what you mean but i am talking about the little things like his accent, the way he talks and smiles etc. I appreciate that his attitude and demeanor (sp) will change through experience and i respect that as it makes sense and contributes to my "realism factor". They should have hired a vocal touch plus whoever to get the right voice, charm and swagger. I very much doubt that they have cleverly written the story so that he starts the film with a personality that is unfamiliar to us and by the end of the film he is a mirror image of Han Solo based on his experiences.
Old 09-04-2018, 13:34   #49
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

They managed to rescue Rogue 1 to make it one of the best Star Wars, although the characters were not based on anything familiar.

I'm not terribly hopeful this will work.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 13:48   #50
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Rogue 1 to make it one of the best Star Wars, although the characters were not based on anything familiar.
Exactly, and i have stated quite a few times that it is my favourite Star Wars film. It is all about realism and keeping true to what you know. It might have been new characters in new locations but it was still pure Star Wars. The most memorable moment for me is Samurai dude and "i am one with the force, the force is with me". It is all about the message and keeping the faith.
Old 09-04-2018, 13:53   #51
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I know what you mean but i am talking about the little things like his accent, the way he talks and smiles etc. I appreciate that his attitude and demeanor (sp) will change through experience and i respect that as it makes sense and contributes to my "realism factor". They should have hired a vocal touch plus whoever to get the right voice, charm and swagger. I very much doubt that they have cleverly written the story so that he starts the film with a personality that is unfamiliar to us and by the end of the film he is a mirror image of Han Solo based on his experiences.
I want you to really think about this before you reply.

Are you looking for a Harrison Ford clone or the character/s he portrayed?

His accent, the way he talked and smiled were no different just look at the way he played Indiana Jones as one example.

Like it or not actors do bring part of their own personality into the roles they play.

Could anyone play the part of Rommie the same in an earlier version of Andromeda like Lexa Doig (there was a previous crew and mission)? Certainly not!
Could anyone other than Zoie Palmer play Android the same in Dark Matter? No!

I could go on but I don't think it's necessary, you seem to be getting hung up about how the role is portrayed rather than the story line (story arc).
Old 09-04-2018, 14:11   #52
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l find Generals comments baffling too as surely he does not expect to see the Hans Solo we all know from the other films played by Harrison Ford as this is a younger version played by another actor and it was pretty obvious he was going to be different from what was seen before.
Old 09-04-2018, 14:40   #53
General Maximus
Ran Away

I don't think you understand the point I am trying to make. Life experiences and everything you go through will mould your future self but there has got to be something there to build on to start off with. The best example of this I can think of is James T. Kirk and Chris Pine in Star Trek 2009. I didn't even think about it at time or even notice it because I was more worried about the story and technology but in retrospect Chris Pine did an amazing job in presenting us with a younger more reckless Kirk which we can identify with and knowing the characters future, see the events which shape him into the person we know today. In the subsequent films I didn't think "oh there is Chris Pine trying to be Kirk" because I know him to be somebody different, I watched it believing that that truly is the young James Kirk.

This dude doesn't do that with his performance of Han Solo and had might as well be random smuggler X who is borrowing the Millennium Flacon.
Old 09-04-2018, 14:42   #54
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Yep Den. I've never seen him come over as this before. I get it he's a Star War fan but I also know he's a big SciFi fan like me.

I wonder if he'll use the same criteria to the Lost In Space remake?

Over to you General.
Old 09-04-2018, 15:18   #55
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yep Den. I've never seen him come over as this before. I get it he's a Star War fan but I also know he's a big SciFi fan like me.
sure am a scifi fan and I am normally very chilled out and would give something like this the benefit of doubt even if I wasn't too sure about it because up and till now I have not wanted to take the risk of losing out on a semi-decent scifi film but The Last Jedi has left me very bitter. What you have got to think of is that it is getting very close to release and we have hardly heard anything. There are only two explanations for it a) they don't have a lot of confidence in it and are keeping it very close to their chest to avoid people like me making these types of comments (which is why you hardly saw him in the first teaser) b) Disney know Infinity War is probably going to be the biggest film of the year and are putting all their eggs in one basket. I know the films are a month apart but if I were them I wouldn't be holding my breath for Solo and throwing everything I had at Infinity War.

Brings me to another example and good point though following on from my Chris Pine example. When I saw the trailer for Infinity War and heard the theme music and voices I just froze and I can't describe the emotions and feeling that went through my body. You can just tell it is going to be awesome and it isn't because of the action and special effects. It is all about the carefully crafted characters and their personalities. You might say I can't compare Infinity War because it isn't a prequel and is based on the same era of characters that we know so lets talk about Black Panther. I know it isn't a prequel but it is something new which gelled perfectly into the MCU, fantastic story and so many excellent characters. When I saw Danai Gurira I didn't think "oh there is Michonne from TWD trying to do something different for a few extra $$$ between seasons". I just this amazing character Okeye who is a kickass General and a truly believable performance. I don't get any of that from Solo.

Quote:
I wonder if he'll use the same criteria to the Lost In Space remake?
sure will but not in the context of this thread though. The last time I saw Lost in Space was when I was 8 so that was 30 years ago. Literally all I can remember is the Dr's face and the robot flapping his arms saying "danger Will Robinson". It will however be subject to my "realism factor" and if anything it will be eligible for harsher criticism that normal. Coincidentally I read the feature on it in SFX this morning and the writers were saying how although this is a scifi series, it is all about the drama and relationships between the family members and how they overcome obstacles in the new and unpredictable situations. It is people's behaviour/reactions which bug me the most (e.g. stupid f*ing Rose in TLJ) so if they do something stupid which I think is unrealistic. It is scifi and fantasy so the story and situations thrust upon will be unrealistic and fantastical in terms of today's science but if we believe that universe exists (e.g Star Trek/MCU) then when we witness events happening we ask ourselves "how would I react in that situation?" Everyone is different so it isn't always a case of what I would do but "would somebody actually do that having evaluated the circumstances of their situations and decided what the best course of action is". I'll let you if I have any gripes with Lost in Space. First impressions from the trailer though look amazing and like I said with the gloves last week, when you have got a team who care so much about the detail and making everything as "realistic" as possible, I am not expecting there to be anything wrong with and am looking forward to lying down and immersing myself in an amazing story.

I have been holding myself back from moaning but I have finally caught up with X-Files. I watched season 10 yesterday and started season 11 this morning. Putting the stories aside and how far fetched some of the stuff is, the way the characters are reacting to some situations is not in keeping with what we know and that is all I am going to say for the moment.

Last edited by General Maximus; 09-04-2018 at 15:33.
Old 09-04-2018, 15:31   #56
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

I'm sorry General but you haven't answered anything.

You've had a bit of a rant though.
Old 09-04-2018, 16:14   #57
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
I'm sorry General but you haven't answered anything.
To put it simply it just doesn't feel right. I am sure we have watched many a trailer which made the film look good/worth a watch and it turned out to be disappointing but this trailer doesn't do anything for me. They have had two cracks at it now and the best I can hope for atm is an average scifi action film and that is if the story and action sequences are good. Unfortunately 90% of the premise of this film is Han Solo's origin story and regardless of how excellent the rest of the film is, if this dude isn't a believable Han Solo then it is going to completely ruin the film

Quote:
You've had a bit of a rant though.
nope, nothing I have said today has been an intentional rant, I have done my best to provide explanation and examples of my initial assertion

Last edited by General Maximus; 09-04-2018 at 17:34.
Old 09-04-2018, 17:12   #58
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

General....

Perhaps they are actually not talking about it too much or releasing loads of clips and trailers as they want to keep a bit of mystery and don't want to totally spoil the movie.

This version of Han is meant to be 18-23 I think and has also only just met Chewie and Lando. So there is a lot of changes for the character and also won't have gotten involved with the Hutts. These things in part may bring on a change in Han that lead him to become the parson we know and of course can change his outlook in life so may also affect way of talking and attitude.

but at the end of the day he is an actor playing a part and not a clone of Ford. Will Glover be 100% the same as Billy-Dee Williams? Probably not.

I felt a lot more excited by that new trailer and am now a lot more hopeful it will at least be fairly decent.
Old 09-04-2018, 17:31   #59
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I felt a lot more excited by that new trailer and am now a lot more hopeful it will at least be fairly decent.
It had the opposite effect for me. When I saw the teaser I was willing to give it a go but now that I have seen the trailer I am not interested full stop, cinema or otherwise.
Old 09-04-2018, 19:52   #60
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Personally I don't let a trailer stop me from seeing a film. Not always a fair representation of a movie or the scenes involved as many can be taken out of context or not even make it to the movie.