Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 18-09-2017, 23:40   #16
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Let's hope not!

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
From your link

Probably the UK
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2017, 11:13   #17
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Let's hope not!

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

It may not be but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 13:13   #18
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
From your link

Probably the UK
I would suggest that the UK is the country, given the article mentions Horizon, rather than TiVo.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:20   #19
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
According to this link, DVR recording to the cloud will be rolled out by Liberty Global next February. This may explain why the V6 is limited to 1TB, and it may also be the solution to the problem of disk space for UHD recordings.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/74598...ngs-next-year/
How does recording to the cloud work?

Does it mean there is an infinite amount of storage in the cloud that I could utilise?

If I told box to record something on the cloud, will it stay there for me until I decide I no longer want it - however long that may be?

Is this going to cost me?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:34   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
How does recording to the cloud work?

Does it mean there is an infinite amount of storage in the cloud that I could utilise?

If I told box to record something on the cloud, will it stay there for me until I decide I no longer want it - however long that may be?

Is this going to cost me?
These are good questions, Raider. At the moment, I believe you could only retain recordings for a limited time in the cloud - 9 months, I think it is. However, I am hoping this will change to allow users to keep the recordings for 18 months to 2 years in the near future.

I may be corrected on this, but I think a 'recording' to the cloud is similar to bookmarking. As far as the viewer is concerned, you just have to take the appropriate option. The programme will appear in 'My Shows' and you will access this in much the same way as you do now.

The cloud is really a store of all available programmes, similar to the 'on demand' principle, and you bookmark against the content of that store.
Old 19-09-2017, 18:45   #21
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
These are good questions, Raider. At the moment, I believe you could only retain recordings for a limited time in the cloud - 9 months, I think it is. However, I am hoping this will change to allow users to keep the recordings for 18 months to 2 years in the near future.

I may be corrected on this, but I think a 'recording' to the cloud is similar to bookmarking. As far as the viewer is concerned, you just have to take the appropriate option. The programme will appear in 'My Shows' and you will access this in much the same way as you do now.

The cloud is really a store of all available programmes, similar to the 'on demand' principle, and you bookmark against the content of that store.
That is disappointing, I was hoping for something better than on demand. My viewing is mainly sport and sport has very little on demand.

Unless this improves it sounds like cloud recording will be a waste of time for me.
Old 19-09-2017, 21:09   #22
MichaelScofield
cf.member

MichaelScofield is on a distinguished roadMichaelScofield is on a distinguished road

When following a link from Virgin to sign up for a V6 due to the price rise, it mentioned Netflix and BT Sport in 4k if subscribed. On the community forums they said it's a mistake and have now removed 'BT Sport' but I think it could be an early leak that BT Sport in 4k will be coming soon. What do others think?

Also a new app called 'Virgin TV Go' coming next year.
MichaelScofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:50   #23
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScofield View Post

When following a link from Virgin to sign up for a V6 due to the price rise, it mentioned Netflix and BT Sport in 4k if subscribed. On the community forums they said it's a mistake and have now removed 'BT Sport' but I think it could be an early leak that BT Sport in 4k will be coming soon. What do others think?

Also a new app called 'Virgin TV Go' coming next year.

Hopefully, you are correct - however UHD football is currently only on BT tv and isn't a channel as such, it downloads from the Internet.

Hopefully the new app will allow me to download what I want from my shows on my V6 boxes.
Old 20-09-2017, 08:32   #24
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

I think we are more likely to see BT Sport UHD in the near future than Sky Sport UHD!

Does anyone know when the wholesale deal with BT comes up for review?
Old 20-09-2017, 13:51   #25
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
I think we are more likely to see BT Sport UHD in the near future than Sky Sport UHD!

Does anyone know when the wholesale deal with BT comes up for review?
Around July or August I think
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:55   #26
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Around July or August I think
Maybe that's when we'll get it, then, if it's coming at all.

If BT want a lot of money for BT Sport UHD, let's hope VM can persuade them to throw in AMC as well!
Old 20-09-2017, 20:56   #27
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

UHD... Work in progress. Quite expensive on bandwidth. Use your experience and be patient, OLD BOY, once networks are ready and penetration of UHD TVs are high enough all should be fine.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 22:08   #28
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
UHD... Work in progress. Quite expensive on bandwidth. Use your experience and be patient, OLD BOY, once networks are ready and penetration of UHD TVs are high enough all should be fine.
There have been several posts with links to reports that UHD is driving TV sales.

All we want is content on Virgin - currently we are the poor relations in this respect.
Old 20-09-2017, 22:23   #29
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Even the Amazon app would do for now at least that would open up UHD content to more homes with a V6 and prime subscription
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 23:24   #30
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Even the Amazon app would do for now at least that would open up UHD content to more homes with a V6 and prime subscription

Not for me - no interest in Amazon, only UHD sport.