Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Train Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Train Spotters Corner

Old 20-11-2014, 19:53   #376
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Train Spotters Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
More good news for Scottish rail commuters.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...open-1-3610946
Great news and hopefully more will follow along with the re instatement of more disused rail lines.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2014, 10:57   #377
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

More good news
Old 23-11-2014, 13:03   #378
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

London's Charing Cross Station closed after fire on train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30167555
Old 23-11-2014, 13:23   #379
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

HS2 Euston plans could derail whole project

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-to-halt.html
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:45   #380
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
HS2 Euston plans could derail whole project

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-to-halt.html
No, they really couldn't.

The story is based entirely on carping by Camden council (which is against it) and a good old fashioned residents committee (which is also against it). The Tele has drawn its headline from a quote from said residents committee ... some nice chap called Tim, who is doubtless concerned that the scheme may knock a mill of the value of his city pad, says "I think HS2 is slowly dying". Wish fulfilment and all that.

Most of the Telegraph's readers hate HS2 because it will run through their back gardens. It's not surprising that the paper caters for its readers by running stories like this. But be in no doubt, that line's getting built.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 14:45   #381
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Blueprint for Waterloo railway services launched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30173775
Old 25-11-2014, 08:18   #382
007stuart
cf.addict

First Crossrail metals laid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30173787
Old 27-11-2014, 07:37   #383
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

A joint venture between Stagecoach and Virgin has won the franchise to run the East Coast mainline rail route.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30222458

Up to yesterday it was rumoured to have gone to the french state rail operator Keolis/Eurostar joint venture
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:31   #384
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Cue a lot of predictable huffing a puffing from unreconstructed leftie trade unions who wanted East Coast to remain State-operated.

I'm really glad Stagecoach/Virgin have got this. They have made a grand job of the WCML and I predict, over the next few years, they will comfortably improve on the performance of DOR on the East Coast. Then we can (hopefully) put to bed the ridiculous idea that bringing back British Rail is a big or clever thing to do.
Old 27-11-2014, 12:40   #385
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Cue a lot of predictable huffing a puffing from unreconstructed leftie trade unions who wanted East Coast to remain State-operated.

I'm really glad Stagecoach/Virgin have got this. They have made a grand job of the WCML and I predict, over the next few years, they will comfortably improve on the performance of DOR on the East Coast. Then we can (hopefully) put to bed the ridiculous idea that bringing back British Rail is a big or clever thing to do.
I have often championed re-nationalisation of Franchises, because I do think it can work. It worked brilliantly in the case of the South Eastern railway, although, having said that, it would be almost impossible for any other operator to run the service as badly as Connex did. South Eastern Trains introduced serious, and almost instant, improvements to the service. Trains were suddenly running on time, with the correct number of carriages. Passenger information systems were overhauled (seriously, what dimwit really thought it was a good idea to put the signalling team in a building on the other side of Kent from the team that runs the passenger information systems?).

Now, the service is provided by the privatised South Eastern Railways and has mostly (in my experience) kept the standards that South Eastern Trains managed. However, I've noticed that the service is slipping a little. Little things, like the different passenger information systems sometimes give incorrect or conflicting information (several times this week, I've been told by their app that my train has just left my station, while I am standing on the platform, and being told by the Platform indicator screen that the train is due in a few minutes, only to have the app correct itself all of a sudden).

Don't get me wrong. I do not think that wholesale re-nationalisation is the best idea for every franchise. When it comes down to it, as long as a franchise operator can provide me a relatively cheap, reliable service, I don't really care that much whether they are private or publicly owned.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:19   #386
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Crossrail 2 cost rises by almost a third, says TfL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30228899

Dawlish rail line: Backing for alternative route.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30292756
Old 03-12-2014, 20:57   #387
007stuart
cf.addict

Quote:
Dawlish rail line: Backing for alternative route.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30292756
Good news for the South West.

All we need now is the political will to find the money!!
Old 03-12-2014, 21:20   #388
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I noticed in the autumn statement that Osborne is pledging death to the Pacers on the Northern and Transpennine franchises. Can't come soon enough. I still wait nervously on the platform when I'm passing through Wigan NW, hoping one of them isn't going to pull up.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:13   #389
denphone
Still alive and fighting

My worry is talking about things is one thing but doing it is another as talk is cheap and until we see these things actually happen l won't be convinced.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04   #390
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
My worry is talking about things is one thing but doing it is another as talk is cheap and until we see these things actually happen l won't be convinced.
Well if they don't get the nodders off the network soon, they're going to start falling apart (hopefully, anyway). They're well past their sell by date, so something has to happen soon.