Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2008, 23:22   #7651
Phormic Acid
Inactive

Services: Still to decide on Aquiss or Be
Phormic Acid is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangpang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Yes there are several VPN services like 'Relakks' but it comes down to trust.
I actually think that you can trust Relakks. I'm from Sweden and the man how started up Relakks is wellknown here in Sweden for his view to people secracy.
Another threat to Phorm’s business model?

In this week’s PC Pro podcast, there’s an interesting report on the Infosec show. It starts at 39:35 and covers the idea of hosted security, also referred to as ‘security in the cloud’, for the home user.

Phorm’s selling point for Webwise is that it has the potential to provide some protection from phishing websites. This is one specific, limited example of the more general concept of hosted security services. Someone with a little technical knowledge can tunnel their web traffic through their ISP’s network to a trusted gateway beyond, so completely bypassing Phorm’s equipment. However, with hosted security, this tunnelling out could be taken up by your average home user. Rather than having a heavyweight security application on their computer, a small client would securely marshal all web traffic to and from the security company, who would take on the burden of analysing and cleaning that traffic. VPNs for the masses?

Of course, what, if any, hosted security and who will provide that should be a free choice. It shouldn’t be foisted upon the user by integrating it into an ISP’s network.
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2008, 23:30   #7652
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
You just need to click on the little Icon that says "Digg" when you go to the story, once you have clicked it the icon will change to say "Dugg" and will not longer be an active link.

Alexander Hanff
digg is dugg
Old 30-05-2008, 23:34   #7653
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I've emailed the editorial team at the Gadget Show to tell them of the protest (saying it may be of interest to them after they said they would keep an eye on the issue), and pointed them to http://nodpi.org/?p=3. I've told them it's a work in progress and will be added to as things are confirmed.
Old 30-05-2008, 23:45   #7654
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

OK press releases sent out to:

London Standard
The London Paper
Telegraph
Guardian
Financial Times
Daily Mail
Wired Magazine
Associated Press

Also notified:
Dan Simmons - BBC Click
Charles Arthur - The Guardian
Claer Barrett - Investors Chronicle

Here is a copy of the press release:

Quote:
Press Release - Immediate Release

Protesters to Picket shareholders at BT PLC Annual General Meeting - 16th July 2008

On 16th July 2008 there will be a full day protest against the use of Deep Packet Inspection for the purpose of behavioural profiling. The event will focus on the plans by BT PLC, Virgin Media and Car Phone Warehouse to introduce deep packet inspection technologies through exclusive contracts with Phorm Inc.

Since Phorm issued a press release on 14th February 2008 regarding these exclusive contracts there has been a storm of outrage amongst the public, leading academics, privacy advocates, Members of Parliament, Members of the European Parliament, Peers in the House of Lords and the industry as whole. The technology has been called illegal by Foundation for Information Policy Research, which was recently supported by a statement from the European Commission.

As a result of the negative publicity generated over the past 3 months Phorm Inc.'s share price has plummeted by approx 70% and continues to struggle to develop confidence from investors.

In 2006/2007 BT PLC have admitted to running covert trials of the technology without first obtaining the consent from customers required by EU and UK Data Protection and Communications regulations, directives and legislation. However, to date neither the Information Commissioner nor the Secretary of State have held BT PLC to account for these allegedly illegal actions.

Therefore, the growing public campaign to seek justice for the victims of these covert trials and the wider mission of stopping the technology from being deployed, has led to an organised one day protest in London, UK. There is expected to be a significant press and media presence at the event which will begin at the Barbican Centre, continue on to BT Centre (BT's corporate HQ) and finally end with a march on to Charing Cross Metropolitan Police Station in the early evening. On arrival at the Metropolitan Police station a full case file with witness testimonies and supporting evidence, along with a petition demanding a criminal investigation will be handed to the senior officer on duty.

For more details about the event, please visit the following two web sites:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05..._phorm_protest
http://www.nodpi.org

If you require further information please contact me by reply.

Sincerely,

Alexander Hanff
University of Cumbria
Feel free to use the press release for any contacts you may wish to make with other members of the press and media (obviously change the last couple of lines).

Alexander Hanff
Old 30-05-2008, 23:51   #7655
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Was just going to suggest the daily tabloids as I suggested way back in post 7389

I see you have already sent a press release to quite a few.
There is also:
The Sun The Star The Mirror The Express The Telegraph
Old 30-05-2008, 23:52   #7656
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
OK who has a login to moneysavingexpert.com ???

I know someone started a thread there recently, please can you add a post about the protest event with a link to the Digg article as below:<snip>
Alex, I tried getting interest over there about this, as did some others.

A long standing member called tonyhague started a thread about Phorm; it got lost.

I started another just after the FIPR report was issued; the Mods merged it with Tony's and it got lost.

Mark from here started yet another; the Mods merged it into the original and it's slowly disappearing.

I even posted a question for the Mods here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=905289 and they are just ignoring it!

If it doesn't involve saving money, the people over there aren't interested it seems.

OB
Old 30-05-2008, 23:55   #7657
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:

http://digg.com/tech_news/No_DPI_web..._Protest_Event

Ask people to Digg it, I really want to see this make the front page.

Also any other forums where people have started threads, please do the same, including the BT Beta forum if possible.

Alexander Hanff
posted over on BT Beta forums http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...D=24149&#24149

peter

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

Quote:
OK press releases sent out to:

London Standard
The London Paper
Telegraph
Guardian
Financial Times
Daily Mail
Wired Magazine
Associated Press

Also notified:
Dan Simmons - BBC Click
Charles Arthur - The Guardian
Claer Barrett - Investors Chronicle

Here is a copy of the press release:

Feel free to use the press release for any contacts you may wish to make with other members of the press and media (obviously change the last couple of lines).

Alexander Hanff
you missed the sun and the mirror
Old 31-05-2008, 00:00   #7658
icsys
Inactive

icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
you missed the sun and the mirror
And The Star The Mirror The Express The Telegraph
Old 31-05-2008, 00:01   #7659
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Was just going to suggest the daily tabloids as I suggested way back in post 7389

I see you have already sent a press release to quite a few.
There is also:
The Sun The Star The Mirror The Express The Telegraph
OK I have forwarded the press release to all of those as well.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 00:11   #7660
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
You're an animal Alex... no, scratch that... you're a MACHINE!!
Old 31-05-2008, 00:18   #7661
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
You're an animal Alex... no, scratch that... you're a MACHINE!!
I am tired is what I am, I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 3 days, but still not enough Diggs, so I am calling in all the favours I can to try and get it up there. It is gonna be a long night...

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 00:19   #7662
icsys
Inactive

What about the BBC, ITV Channel 4, 5 news?
May as well hit all the media outlets?

In the words of George Foreman:
Your'e a lean mean Phorm grilling machine!

Oh, sorry, just read your last post.... how do you keep going?
Old 31-05-2008, 00:19   #7663
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
Here's one more for you...

http://lug.org.uk/

http://www.linux.org/groups/united_kingdom/england.html

I'm sure they'd be a very receptive audience.
Old 31-05-2008, 00:21   #7664
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
What about the BBC, ITV Channel 4, 5 news?
May as well hit all the media outlets?

In the words of George Foreman:
Your'e a lean mean Phorm grilling machine!

Oh, just read your las post.... how do you keep going?
Already contacted BBC, someone else is in the process of contacting C4 for me and I don't know anyone at ITV or C5.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 00:22   #7665
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

[QUOTE=bluecar1;34563967]posted over on BT Beta forums http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...=24149幕

peter

The link you posted on the beta.bt.. forum does not properly link to the digg.
Closed Thread