Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2019, 12:33   #6751
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Sounds like 26% are a bit thick.
Agreed
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2019, 12:54   #6752
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Agreed
Old 22-01-2019, 12:56   #6753
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Several posts have now been deleted - I see the pathetic jibes and digs is showing it's ugly head again - pack it in.

Picking someone up on how they have spelt something or used capitalisation is not acceptable and rather petty. It must not continue.

The next member to ignore team instructions will be placed on a winter break.
Old 22-01-2019, 14:47   #6754
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's a bit of a stretch. Our language isn't our culture.

One reason that the UK is attractive to foreign workers is that they tend to speak English as a second language rather than French or German.

As regards our culture vs Europe, as I've said before, we look alike but don't think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Are you saying that foreign words and phrase haven't been incorporated into British culture. As they are foreign, it can hardly be classed as included in the English language. The French constantly complain about English words being included in their culture/language.

,[COLOR="Silver"]

<SNIP>
I'm drawing the distinction between language and culture. They are not the same.

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
We largely do though. The differences between British and most European cultures are quite superficial. Mostly similar values, shared history and a Judeo-Christian background. You don't have huge cultural disconnects if you're in Europe, talking to European people, eating European food or so on.

The differences people usually cite are small and involve stereotypes. I.E Germans are more logical or Southern Europeans more laid back.

If you're somebody coming from Asia the difference between Asian culture and European culture would be more pronounced than the different between British and European culture. They would lump us in with the continent quite easily.
Instead of "largely" I'd use the term "superficially".

I agree with the point you make about Judeo-Christian background (which I'd have to call culture!). The uniting factor there is the Ten Commandments which then falls through into law.

Talking about law, the bulk of the European countries work off a Codex (based on the principles of Roman Law), which essentially tells you what you are allowed to do and anything else may be an offence; not quite as severe as I've put it but that's how Roman Law works. The EU behaves in strict accordance with Codex principles. British civil law is more around your obligations and what you are not allowed to do and is interpreted buy the Courts using the principle of precedent where possible and by reference to Parliament's intentions otherwise. These factors bear on people throughout their lives and thus result in cultural differences. We look alike but don't think alike.

The differences of culture are most easily seen in the degree of formality you see in, e.g. France & Germany, Eastern Europe. That stems in part from the rigid rules of grammar and word gender. Whereas English (and indeed Dutch) has significantly less of that, which feeds through into behaviour.

Our sense of humour is radically different from that in France and Germany (the Dutch and Scandinavians or more aligned our way as, incidentally, are the Polish).

A wonderful sub-topic.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:16   #6755
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s exactly the same. That’s the way taxation and public spending work.

Which isn’t evidence based.

I agree racism and xenophobia get out the vote for UKIP and Vote Leave. I also agree many racists lack the self awareness to realise they are racist.

“I’m not a racist, but...”, as they say.
Regardless of what the position is with regards to the net contribution or otherwise of people living here, we do not want to be taking in any immigrants that do not contribute to the UK financially or otherwise. We are not and cannot ever be an international social security system.

The evidence which you seek is plainly human nature. As human beings we are tribal and territorial animals. Even the less intelligent creatures in the animal kingdom tend to only accept newcomers to their group on the proviso that there are no shortages of things like space, food, water etc.

To unilaterally describe UKIP supporters and those who voted leave as xenophobic and racist is an over simplification to the point of being offensive.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:21   #6756
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

and there in a flash, no deal is pretty much confirmed as dead. and the last weapon May had is gone.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-eu-confirms
Old 22-01-2019, 15:30   #6757
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
and there in a flash, no deal is pretty much confirmed as dead. and the last weapon May had is gone.

The workforce won't live very long if they start installing fences etc.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:31   #6758
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

and it would break the good Friday agreement a legally biding treaty
Old 22-01-2019, 15:36   #6759
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The definition of "racist" varies between people.

What's more, some people associate valid concerns over specific ethnicities as racism.

Racism is a toxic topic and xenophobia is illogical and something quite different.

Exactly this (it's purposely designed to stop people airing their views under threat of being labelled a 'racist' and was successful for a number of years) or it is various forms of virtue signalling (they often get into this habit during their days at uni and one or two never grow out of it after entering the real world).

Listening to two of them trying to out trump each other about who is the more racist/anti racist between them is very tedious. I remember hearing one say that he'd got himself into "a prickly situation" and was immediately condemned as racist! This condemnation, of course, has to be done as loudly as possible in from of the max number of people to achieve the desired effect of the perpetrator.

Another person of a similar ilk thought it appropriate to walk around his local railway station demanding to know why none of the black staff were driving the trains, only white men. He completely ignored the fact that none of the drivers were women, but anti sexism in those days paid out less in PC brownie points.

Meanwhile, black people just got on with it in the face of actual racism.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
and it would break the good Friday agreement a legally biding treaty
If this happens, I hope to God that this doesn't start up the troubles In Ireland again. Similarly, if we leave without a deal I suspect that Scotland may decide to try to become independent and rejoin the EU.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:43   #6760
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Exactly this (it's purposely designed to stop people airing their views under threat of being labelled a 'racist' and was successful for a number of years) or it is various forms of virtue signalling (they often get into this habit during their days at uni and one or two never grow out of it after entering the real world).

Listening to two of them trying to out trump each other about who is the more racist/anti racist between them is very tedious. I remember hearing one say that he'd got himself into "a prickly situation" and was immediately condemned as racist! This condemnation, of course, has to be done as loudly as possible in from of the max number of people to achieve the desired effect of the perpetrator.

Another person of a similar ilk thought it appropriate to walk around his local railway station demanding to know why none of the black staff were driving the trains, only white men. He completely ignored the fact that none of the drivers were women, but anti sexism in those days paid out less in PC brownie points.

If this happens, I hope to God that this doesn't start up the troubles In Ireland again. Similarly, if we leave without a deal I suspect that Scotland may decide to try to become independent and rejoin the EU.
there be a very high chance it would sadly and one of big reasons I have always argued we need to leave with a deal a no deal brexit is worse of all worlds

Last edited by Dave42; 22-01-2019 at 15:49.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:45   #6761
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

There would have to be a wall, a backstop in case the wall falls down and a multi billion £ leaving the UK fee.

Last edited by papa smurf; 22-01-2019 at 15:50.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:47   #6762
mrmistoffelees

Quote:

It won't happen, the EU have given May enough rope to hang herself and she has. She's now backed into a corner with only two ways too go. Still, those who wanted restrictions on freedom of movement have got their wish....
Old 22-01-2019, 16:08   #6763
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:

You really think the EU would pay all that money to build and manage a hard border?

or are you suggesting the UK does it?
Old 22-01-2019, 16:18   #6764
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
You really think the EU would pay all that money to build and manage a hard border?

or are you suggesting the UK does it?
Not that it will happen, but IF then I'd suspect to see both sides paying a sum
Old 22-01-2019, 16:41   #6765
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Regardless of what the position is with regards to the net contribution or otherwise of people living here, we do not want to be taking in any immigrants that do not contribute to the UK financially or otherwise. We are not and cannot ever be an international social security system.

The evidence which you seek is plainly human nature. As human beings we are tribal and territorial animals. Even the less intelligent creatures in the animal kingdom tend to only accept newcomers to their group on the proviso that there are no shortages of things like space, food, water etc.

To unilaterally describe UKIP supporters and those who voted leave as xenophobic and racist is an over simplification to the point of being offensive.
There’s no evidence we are an international social security system. It’s simply a myth, and ignoring the reality that immigrants are less likely to be reliant on benefits than our own population. I dont for a minute believe people travel across the continent for a life of luxury on Universal Credit.

I like the comparison of racists and xenophobes to animals though, as they clearly don’t demonstrate the intelligence that humans are capable of.
Closed Thread