Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading mobile phone online

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Upgrading mobile phone online

Old 13-08-2018, 13:23   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Upgrading mobile phone online

As I mentioned in a previous thread i'm thinking of upgrading the missus ancient iphone, it's well out of contract.
It all "seems" fairly straightforward, click on an upgrade button from within the personal account page then choose your phone and plan.
Am i being naive in thinking this will automatically cancel the payments for the old phone and replace it with the new details. I really don't want to have to speak to VM overseas, had several tortuous calls with them over the last few years.
Also if anything goes wrong is there a way to ensure speaking to UK customer services along the line of retentions for tv/bb.
Thanks.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2018, 13:43   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Upgrading mobile phone online

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
As I mentioned in a previous thread i'm thinking of upgrading the missus ancient iphone, it's well out of contract.
It all "seems" fairly straightforward, click on an upgrade button from within the personal account page then choose your phone and plan.
Am i being naive in thinking this will automatically cancel the payments for the old phone and replace it with the new details. I really don't want to have to speak to VM overseas, had several tortuous calls with them over the last few years.
Also if anything goes wrong is there a way to ensure speaking to UK customer services along the line of retentions for tv/bb.
Thanks.
If the iphone is as ancient as you say their won't be any payments for the old phone. The contract will be connected to the sim. Just put the sim in the new phone.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:56   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If the iphone is as ancient as you say their won't be any payments for the old phone. The contract will be connected to the sim. Just put the sim in the new phone.

It uses a micro sim (iphone 4s) whereas the Samsung (S8) she's after will be a nano.

The new phone is purchased as a package with a new contract with different t's and c's, unfortunately she wouldn't be able to put her current monthly rolling contract sim in even if it did fit.
Old 13-08-2018, 14:10   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Port the telephone number then. If it's a new contract with different t's & c's then it is not an upgrade. Make sure you cancel the previous contract. (30 day notice)
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 14:26   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you upgrade a Virgin Mobile number online, then any existing plan will stop at the next refresh date and be replaced by the new chosen plan, and the the number will be subject to the appropriate current T&Cs for the deal you've chosen e.g. Freestyle, Classic or SIM only.

If you've chosen a deal including a handset, you'll also get a new SIM if you've not had a new SIM since the swaps started in December. If you have had a SIM since the swap, they're multi SIMs, so will be able to me made smaller.

Last edited by BenMcr; 13-08-2018 at 14:35.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 14:48   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you upgrade a Virgin Mobile number online, then any existing plan will stop at the next refresh date and be replaced by the new chosen plan, and the the number will be subject to the appropriate current T&Cs for the deal you've chosen e.g. Freestyle, Classic or SIM only.

If you've chosen a deal including a handset, you'll also get a new SIM if you've not had a new SIM since the swaps started in December. If you have had a SIM since the swap, they're multi SIMs, so will be able to me made smaller.

Cheers Ben.
Would normal retentions / CS answer mobile queries or are they independant of each other. I just want to ensure a UK based CS if I need to ring up.
Old 13-08-2018, 16:36   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There are specific options on 789 for upgrading that should be able to help - I think it's option 3.
Old 13-08-2018, 16:54   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There are specific options on 789 for upgrading that should be able to help - I think it's option 3.

Many thanks.