Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-08-2004, 15:59   #1261
Kneebs
Inactive

Kneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Kneebs
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

When I had mine swapped, the contractor doing it was being paid £10 per box on a saturday, and £20 per box on a sunday. I dread to think what it is for a bank holiday !!
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2004, 16:04   #1262
BIGZIPZ
Inactive

BIGZIPZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima
In the Harrogate area north of Leeds if that helps.
Me too
Old 30-08-2004, 17:03   #1263
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW
Live with it? take it you have been upgraded then....sorry but I don't see why I should, if they are going to do this they should upgrade all users at once, and in my area there are more STB users due to the fact that SACMs have not been available that long! Oh and I am paying £37.99 for a 1meg service while others are paying the same for a 1.5meg service....is that fair?
Perfectly fair, you are paying the price for the 1Mb service, the upgrade is free, The problem with a staggered update is that therwe will always be people moaning that they havent been done yet, it will be done (Oh and it isnt as simple as a switch on, there has been millions of pounds of upgrades to do this), either have patience or vote with your wallet, (Oh, and arent STB's suppost to have their upgrades starting from Sept 1st?)
Old 30-08-2004, 17:16   #1264
BIGZIPZ
Inactive

BIGZIPZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Who knows..... I was hoping it was until I heard it from the horses mouth. Well Broadband Medic live chat with a techie anyway.

He was the one who said 1st October at the earliest.

Have heard various dates and rumours, but I guess no-one knows, different customer service people seem to say different dates and have varying degrees of knowledge about the whole thing.
Old 30-08-2004, 17:40   #1265
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

How can it be perfectly fair? there are people who have had the upgrade and paying the same as me, would you pay £37.99 for a 1meg service or 1.5 meg service if it was available? And quite easy for me to vote with my wallet, NTL wont be impressed when they stop getting in the region of £150 a month from us, if this is how they treat long term customers then bye bye
Old 30-08-2004, 18:01   #1266
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Just to stick snout in while you're comparing ntl and Telewest, those Telewest customers who got their Internet through a Set Top Box that couldn't do 1.5Mbit... well you're dead right their upgrade wasn't delayed. They just didn't get one. At all.
As they are a much better company I guess you guys would have preferred that yes?
Would've been much cheaper for NTL than spending out on new boxes.

FWIW I understand the frustration, can you guys understand the NTL point of view as well though? Even just a little?
Old 30-08-2004, 18:12   #1267
LostintheNW
Inactive

LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Yeah those Telewest customers who didnt get the upgrade can easily switch to a SACM though, not so easy on NTL, I always get told no you cannot have one in your area, yet many an engineer who has been out has said there is no problem with me getting one!

Anyways NTL might have spent a fortune on new boxes but they sure as hell are crap compared to the pace ones!
Old 30-08-2004, 23:26   #1268
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I dont understand why they rolling out these new STB's instead of cable modem's surely the latter is cheaper and more efficient.
Old 30-08-2004, 23:28   #1269
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW
Yeah those Telewest customers who didnt get the upgrade can easily switch to a SACM though, not so easy on NTL, I always get told no you cannot have one in your area, yet many an engineer who has been out has said there is no problem with me getting one!

Anyways NTL might have spent a fortune on new boxes but they sure as hell are crap compared to the pace ones!
There are plenty of people in Manchester who use SACMs, and also plenty of people on this forum who have switched for STB to SACM.
Old 30-08-2004, 23:45   #1270
LostintheNW
Inactive

I know there are people in the Manchester area who have swapped but when I have called in the past I have been told no you cant have one it goes through your STB, I am not bothered about getting one now anyway, as if this speed increase doesn't happen shortly its hello BT and hello ADSL, I don't play games online so not bothered about ping times, just as long as I can surf and download. For £37.99 a month I am sure I can pick myself up a nice fast connection.
Old 30-08-2004, 23:54   #1271
Psychotext
Inactive

Psychotext is an unknown quantity at this point

I've said it before, but it seems apt now. There are still people (Me) and areas that have SACM but haven't had their service upgraded yet. Mine currently says September on the postcode checker, but no idea if that will be accurate or not.
Old 30-08-2004, 23:58   #1272
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotext
I've said it before, but it seems apt now. There are still people (Me) and areas that have SACM but haven't had their service upgraded yet. Mine currently says September on the postcode checker, but no idea if that will be accurate or not.
PM me your ip address/ mac address of your modem and i will check it for you on wednesday.
Old 31-08-2004, 00:01   #1273
Reddevil63
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20Mb CM, Sky+, TV Drive
Reddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotext
Same for me!
Old 31-08-2004, 07:22   #1274
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

No one in a dual STB/SACM area should have a non-upgraded SACM.

Swapping STBs for SACMs is actually cheaper - registration should be straightforward, email etc. should still work without any effort and ntl get a Pace STB back. This is all based on the reasonable assumption that the Samsung is better than the Pace for broadband, which was the point of swapping in the first place.
Old 31-08-2004, 09:50   #1275
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I dont understand why they rolling out these new STB's instead of cable modem's surely the latter is cheaper and more efficient.
Not everyone wants a SACM. Also, not everyone can justify having yet *another* box to their significant other. For instance, if NTL were to install a SACM instead of a new STB in my house, because of the way my network is wired (yes, I do have a home network system), then I would either have to have it under the TV (which would involve buying a new TV cabinet as the current one has no shelf space left) or re-wire the network. Both are something I don't really want to do.

With a Samsung STB, you also have the advantage of Interactive TV being far quicker and more reliable. Of course, there is always the downside that NTL haven't upgraded us 1 MB STB users yet, and don't seem to be showing any sign of when they will.

Maybe NTL should offer a choice?
Closed Thread