Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2004, 13:48   #1156
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
It would be easier to manage further up the network (fewer machines to update).
An excellent point well made, although it some anti-worm stuff is done on the boxes themselves, this isn't Samsung specific (that would be pointless) and shouldn't affect P2P, as Bill suggests.
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2004, 13:51   #1157
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
An excellent point well made, although it some anti-worm stuff is done on the boxes themselves, this isn't Samsung specific (that would be pointless) and shouldn't affect P2P, as Bill suggests.
Maybe that's what the technician meant? Admittedly, NTL were quite public about doing that.
Old 17-08-2004, 14:04   #1158
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

It occured to me that that was what it was, but since ntl announced it months ago and the ports blocked are up on the website and it applies to all CMs and STBs it struck me as nothing new.
Old 17-08-2004, 14:04   #1159
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I think its a bit harsh to not allow links to other forums, this is the first public forum I have seen such a rule but I am not a mod so who am I to argue.

Back to the topic it wouldnt surprise me if the hardware had the technology but I dont think it would be to block p2p ntl know the consequences of such an action and I dont think its worth the hassle and like bbking said if they wanted to do it they could do it at a more central point higher up in their network. If its an issue just do away with the STB and get a cable modem they better anyway.
Old 17-08-2004, 14:16   #1160
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANORAK2001
I have just spoken to someone at tech support and he has confirmed that the Samsung has packet sniffing technology, it reads packet header information to see if you are using P2P and starts dropping those packets.
Quite frankly, this must be a contender for one the most ill informed statements of the year. Samsung boxes cannot sniff packets any more than I can, and if ntl wanted to block P2P this would not be their chosen method. In fact, I know from inside knowledge of certain plans (which sadly I cannot make public) that ntl's attitude to P2P is a long way from actively blocking it.

It seems clear from subsequent posts that you have nothing to base this on other than a supposed conversation with "someone at tech support", and your posts and actions (both here and on another site) cause the word "troll" to spring to mind.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 17-08-2004, 14:22   #1161
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I take back my comment about the censoring of the link been harsh seeing it from another view point I understand that he was misinforming people and could have caused extra confusion. I apologise for my comment.
Old 17-08-2004, 17:57   #1162
marvel
Inactive

marvel is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to say that:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:56:48 GMT
1st 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec

Sg17 is upgraded!! HURAH!!! Finally !!!!
Old 17-08-2004, 18:22   #1163
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel
Glad to say that:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:56:48 GMT
1st 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec

Sg17 is upgraded!! HURAH!!! Finally !!!!
<seething with jealousy>
Old 17-08-2004, 18:42   #1164
marvel
Inactive

marvel is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think it is all good! Sometimes when i do a test the first section will be 300 kbps then 1551 for the rest!!!
Like this:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:43:47 GMT
1st 128K took 3438 ms = 38124 Bytes/sec = approx 317 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
And when listening to radio thru winamp occasionally it will pause cost of the connection dropping for a second or two!
Old 17-08-2004, 21:00   #1165
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

YES!!!!!!!!!
Finally, NTL have done my speed upgrade, it WAS something to do with Luton, as when Luton had "Network Upgrades" done this morning, My speed went up, yey ntl, YEY

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:59:23 GMT
1st 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 688 ms = 190512 Bytes/sec = approx 1585 kbits/sec

Woohoo, (How do you change your vote on these things )
Old 17-08-2004, 21:11   #1166
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
<seething with jealousy>
Don't worry Ramrod. Us 1Mb STB users will be upgraded soon (I hope).
Old 17-08-2004, 21:25   #1167
Kneebs
Inactive

Kneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Kneebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
will be upgraded soon (I hope).
straight out of an NTL quote book that one !!
Old 17-08-2004, 22:43   #1168
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
Don't worry Ramrod. Us 1Mb STB users will be upgraded soon (I hope).
Thanks for those kind words but I am not holding my breath on this.......
Old 17-08-2004, 22:53   #1169
DVS
Inactive

Services: 3Mbit STB broadband TV Base Pack 321 Phone
DVS is an unknown quantity at this point

So when's the set top box swaps occuring in the North West? Had a letter off NTL 6? weeks ago and no contact since? Read previously that the upgrade was due in Sept? which doesn't leave much time.

Anyone from NTL in the North West (BillC?) care to comment please?
Old 17-08-2004, 23:19   #1170
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

hmm, our area is upgraded and we've still got the pace box on 1mb
no letter at all saying we were getting extra speed.

We had the pace box originally for the broadband, then we got a modem installed and ntl proceeded to rape our bank for £65 without ANY warning (even by the main email account for the sacm internet setup!), so we phoned them up and explained we were not pleased that they took the money in that way. NTL then said they would not change the billing for the modem (which had to go on a 2nd account btw... why? well, im not sure... same name, address and everything) so we could pay it in a paypoint or with a payment card or something as they couldnt do that with new accounts (im sure that was utter BS tbh)

So we got the eng out to take the modem out (who actually took the modem but left the power plug and coax cable in place all plugged in (nice and safe tbh init?), looked at the router, grunted and left. I came home from work and set it all back up myself (understandable I assume... routers arent supported i guess would be the reason).

So... back on pace box but wanting a samsung box for our extra speed which had the visiting eng contemplated it, he could have saved a job of re-visiting and installing ANOTHER box which we're gonna phone them for tomorrow.

so err yeah... thanks ntl :/
Closed Thread