Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Different Subnet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Different Subnet

Old 29-03-2020, 12:25   #1
kmxsoft
cf.member

kmxsoft is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Different Subnet

I am struggling to understand how to resolve the following. Whilst my general knowledge of managing my home IP netowork is okay, I'm wondering how to deal with the following.

I have a regular VM network where connected devices are working fine.

However I decided I would add a second router to the network, and whilst that is up and running, the subnet for this added router is different to that on the standard network.

New network subnet: 192.168.1.x
standard network: 192.168.0.x

So how do I configure this so that both routers are using the same subnet?

I have a feeling that I should be adding the 2nd router as a slave to the 1st rather than it being a new router, but that's an area where my knowledge level goes AWOL.
kmxsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2020, 12:48   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Different Subnet

They do need to be separate subnets, so the routers can tell where to route the traffic.
If you really want to extend the VM subnet, you need a switch, not a second router. (You may be able to configure it to operate as a switch instead of a router).

But why is having two subnets a problem, anyway?

Another option is to put the SuperHub into modem mode, and connect all your devices to the new router instead.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 07:26   #3
kmxsoft
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
But why is having two subnets a problem, anyway?
Because I have a server, which isn't visible on the second subnet.

I've now resolved this problem as I bought an extender, so when that arrives that should fix this issue.
Old 30-03-2020, 11:09   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmxsoft View Post
Because I have a server, which isn't visible on the second subnet.
Sounds like you need to add route table entry somewhere
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 13:37   #5
kmxsoft
cf.member

Quote:
Probably, though that exceeds my comfort level. And as remarked earlier I've now bought a range extender so I'm okay.
Old 30-03-2020, 13:59   #6
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

If you look up using routers as access points then the process is likely very similar if you can. The 2nd router then just becomes a client of the first and will route devices attached to it to the first.

In my case I put the WAN port of second router to a LAN port on the first and set the second to get it's IP via DHCP ( I then fix the IP for that device on the first outside the DHCP range).
Old 01-04-2020, 07:36   #7
kmxsoft
cf.member

Quote:
You solved the problem!

I added a static route in the 2nd router and was then able to see the server which had its IP on the domain controlled by the first router. As the server hosts the DNS server for the network that routing update meant I could configure my network devices to use either access point.

Nice and simple.