Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC Spec Question.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

PC Spec Question.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:10   #16
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: PC Spec Question.

AMD Ryzen 2600 here on home PC, Intel i7-10850H on work laptop. Home, I use the PC as a media server (Plex) and so do lots of video encoding on the fly. Work, I run software we sell which needs some meaty specifications (also have 64Gb RAM and a 1Tb SSD to do this)
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2021, 10:15   #17
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
AMD Ryzen 2600 here on home PC, Intel i7-10850H on work laptop. Home, I use the PC as a media server (Plex) and so do lots of video encoding on the fly. Work, I run software we sell which needs some meaty specifications (also have 64Gb RAM and a 1Tb SSD to do this)
I just bought a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 in anticipation of DirectStorage coming to Windows 11. Never needed more than a 256 GB M.2 ( Samsung 960 Evo ) for OS and Application but do have nearly 20 TB mechanical drives for other stuff inc plex
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:22   #18
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I bought a Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 to put games on - it makes a difference.

I have a 500GB SSD as the boot disk, 4TB of HD, and the 256GB SSD from my old PC in the current 2 year old box.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:37   #19
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

sweet just wish higher capacity SSDs were not stupid expensive still
Old 10-08-2021, 09:38   #20
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I just bought a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 in anticipation of DirectStorage coming to Windows 11. Never needed more than a 256 GB M.2 ( Samsung 960 Evo ) for OS and Application but do have nearly 20 TB mechanical drives for other stuff inc plex
My main PC has a 256GB M2 drive and a 2TB spinny one. I have 32GB of RAM too which means swap drive action is minimal so I felt more confident about using solid state drives. I do also have an 8TB NAS drive.
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 23:32   #21
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

My main Drive is a 1TB NVme Samsung Evo 970 Plus M.2
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 17:50   #22
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Recently upgraded my system.

Running a 5950x, 32Gb 3600Mhz ram, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra and a 1Tb Samsung 980 Pro.

Still trying to decide if I am going to buy a waterblock for the GPU or get a card with a block already on it and upgrade my dad's card.

Honestly though the heat that both the CPU and GPU pump out when playing games is stupid, especially with the GPU drawing on average 400w of power plus on average 120w being drawn by the CPU.

Looking forward to building the shed I want as that will keep the temps down in the room.
Old 24-08-2021, 18:50   #23
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Recently upgraded my system.

Running a 5950x, 32Gb 3600Mhz ram, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra and a 1Tb Samsung 980 Pro.

Still trying to decide if I am going to buy a waterblock for the GPU or get a card with a block already on it and upgrade my dad's card.

Honestly though the heat that both the CPU and GPU pump out when playing games is stupid, especially with the GPU drawing on average 400w of power plus on average 120w being drawn by the CPU.

Looking forward to building the shed I want as that will keep the temps down in the room.
If it's the air inside the case getting a bit warm, could it be a simpler matter of adding fans, if only by adding a simple 2(240mm)or3(360mm) fan water cooler for the CPU?

I'm looking to build a new PC to replace my current 8 year old one(i7 4th Gen, GTX1080), and wouldn't like the extra complications and risk of having to build a full water cooled PC and have to strip apart the GPU to water cool it. Looking around, it does seem GPUs with waterblocks already fitted are being made, whether they're in stock is another matter. There are articles of how to put a full water-cooled system together and how to add a waterblock to an existing GPU.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 19:50   #24
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Water cooling just moves the heat from one point to another.

The only decent one I found had a radiator outside the case, with 9 fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fan.jpeg (227.6 KB, 22 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 20:53   #25
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Water coolers are more efficient at removing heat from the electronics.

They use radiators and fans located at the outer parts of the case, and so the warm air isn't swirling around inside the case affecting other components.
Old 24-08-2021, 21:08   #26
damien c
cf.mega poster

damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

It's not pretty at the moment as I needed to get the pc back up and running.

The air inside the pc is warm but it doesn't help that the room I am in hit's well over 32c when I start gaming.

Just been playing Destiny for around 2 hours and it's 36c in here now.

I have almost everything I need for a hardline tube loop and then it's a case of deciding what to do about the GPU, do I get another 3080Ti with a waterblock and give my dad this EVGA one or do I just buy the block for this and risk killing it.

[MOD EDIT - oversized picture reduced in size]
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2141D7FA-181E-49DF-B4F3-220613CAF159.jpeg (112.7 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Hugh; 24-08-2021 at 22:28.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 22:02   #27
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Custom PC magazine is the place for all this sort of stuff.
The May 2021 issue dealt with a similar build to yours, even adding a waterblock to the RTX3080 GPU.
A key difference in the builds, is that theirs has the radiator fans at the top and side, with 3 fans at the front drawing air in. Is that the missing bit of your build, not enough drawing air in?

The article's instructions on installing the GPU waterblock.
Quote:
8 REMOVE GPU COOLER
You can see last issue’s guide for more details
on how to dismantle the RTX 3080 Founders
Edition, but we recommend duct tape or 3M
mounting tape to remove the magnetic screw
caps in the casing. After this, dismantling the
card is straightforward. The Corsair
waterblock we’ve used has its pads and paste
pre-applied, which saves a lot of time.
9 FIT GPU WATERBLOCK
All you need to do is clean the GPU core and
memory modules, remove any stray thermal
pads and place these back onto the original
heatsink; then place the waterblock on top.
Follow the instructions on how to secure it and
the backplate. Once it’s mounted, go ahead
and install the graphics card. We’ve used a
riser cable to mount our graphics card
vertically, so it’s visible through the
side window.
Although the Apr 2021 article on dismantling the GPU is 5 pages long.
Old 25-08-2021, 07:14   #28
damien c
cf.mega poster

The fans at the front are set to intake.
Old 25-08-2021, 10:59   #29
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
The fans at the front are set to intake.
Which means the air is drawn in over the front radiator, warming it before it gets into the case.
It looks like you have two sets of fans at the front? The case fans, and then the radiator fans. Are they working against each other? The case fans pulling air in and the front radiator fans trying to push air out?
Old 25-08-2021, 11:50   #30
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Which means the air is drawn in over the front radiator, warming it before it gets into the case.
It looks like you have two sets of fans at the front? The case fans, and then the radiator fans. Are they working against each other? The case fans pulling air in and the front radiator fans trying to push air out?
one would imagine it is pull push