Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Olympics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Olympics

Old 25-07-2021, 13:41   #16
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: Olympics

Not watch any of it yet, whole thing seems like a damp squib. Then I find out that the Beeb is only allowed two feeds because Discovery have bought out the rights.☹️
So is everyone just making do with whatever crumbs the BBC can get?
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2021, 16:12   #17
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Not watch any of it yet, whole thing seems like a damp squib. Then I find out that the Beeb is only allowed two feeds because Discovery have bought out the rights.☹️
Sadly the control of the rights were lost 6 years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...very-eurosport
Old 25-07-2021, 17:14   #18
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Caught some Olympics today - wife was watching it - seemed all studio chat and no action to me
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 17:32   #19
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

If you hunt on BBC website you can find a lot of it, they just can't stream it live now,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...utton-00000400

I watched the men's street skateboarding earlier, will watch the women's tomorrow and the park later in the week. Sky Brown is amazing, she's winning competitions competing against skaters older and more experienced than her, and she always looks like she's having so much fun, as she gets older, and bigger, she'll get even better as will be able to get more height, and go faster, you can see towards the end of her runs she's knackered as she can't get the same momentum as the older skaters so has to pump so much more.

I'm interested in watching the sports climbing, and the bmx events, and will probably follow the women's football as Team GB progress.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 13:41   #20
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Want to watch the archery but the silly rights mean it's hidden away or snippets here and there. Something should be done to protect events like the Olympics but the money is so big now that more minor sports will not get shown on "national" stations.

I think the nationals maybe should focus more on the minority sports that don't normally get any airtime rather than the bigger sports that get shown more frequently but I guess the rational is to show what's got the biggest audience.
Old 27-07-2021, 00:56   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
I can safely say I would not miss it if no one had any rights.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 10:48   #22
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Big mistake from the IOC to give it to a paywalled service, a paywalled service that no one else even.

The Olympics aren't popular enough for people to actively seek it out and pay more as they do for the Premier League and football generally. All this means is a much smaller audience which will hit their ability to sell sponsorships and even the value of the TV rights later down the line.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 11:14   #23
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Big mistake from the IOC to give it to a paywalled service, a paywalled service that no one else even.

The Olympics aren't popular enough for people to actively seek it out and pay more as they do for the Premier League and football generally. All this means is a much smaller audience which will hit their ability to sell sponsorships and even the value of the TV rights later down the line.
So how do other countries around the world deal with it? The costs of broadcasting it has to be funded somehow. With the UK FTA channels it would be via the licence fee or by advertising.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 11:51   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So how do other countries around the world deal with it? The costs of broadcasting it has to be funded somehow. With the UK FTA channels it would be via the licence fee or by advertising.
It was a Europe wide deal apparently

https://www.sportspromedia.com/from-...lion-discovery

Quote:
After what Perrette describes as a “multi-month conversation” with IOC president Thomas Bach, television and marketing services managing director Timo Lumme and Olympic Games executive director Christophe Dubi, a landmark €1.3 billion contract was signed in June 2015. Discovery and Eurosport had taken the rights across 50 territories – all of Europe except Russia – to all Olympic Games until 2024.
Old 27-07-2021, 11:57   #25
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Some countries have small contingent in small number of events, only pay for those.
Some countries have fewer TV's. Do they bother much at all or just take free scraps?
Some countries have more hackers getting it free and sharing?
The real enthusiasts will pay to watch their sport/stars.

It's mostly countries like the UK with large spread teams and large spread audience that lose out being used to near total coverage "free".

I guess we will find out post event if the pay walling worked. Was there enough income to match the money paid for "exclusive" coverage? If not it may not get repeated and the IOC will have to do with offers from national broadcasters like in the past.
Old 27-07-2021, 12:26   #26
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It was a Europe wide deal apparently

https://www.sportspromedia.com/from-...lion-discovery
That €1.3 billion has to be recouped somehow.
Still leaves the question of how else would those countries fund it.
The key platform nowadays is streaming, with gives the widest coverage of events to the widest potential audience. It doesn't limit viewers to cable or satellite.
With Virgin Media cable, I have 9 Eurosport HD Olympic channels plus a UHD one, all at no extra cost.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 12:45   #27
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I've always wondered what would happen if the 'bidding' for something didn't reach an acceptable level.

Not that it would ever happen in a world of corporate greed, but it's a pleasant thought
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote