Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 07-09-2021, 23:45   #271
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I notice Cambridge is now enabled, does that have any relevance to Ipswich? Any areas I should look out for as bellwethers?
Cambridge and Ipswich aren't closely related. Colchester is the only other hubsite down your way.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2021, 00:02   #272
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Cambridge and Ipswich aren't closely related. Colchester is the only other hubsite down your way.
Ah well, thanks!
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:23   #273
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Oxford now enabled - SH4 on its way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Getting our upgrade Friday. Self install SH4, will probably set to modem mode to keep things easy.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:02   #274
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Nottingham is actually pretty fragmented in the VM network. It's split across Nottingham, Clifton, Basford, Mapperley and Stapleford hubsites.
I'm connected to the Basford site, no idea about my brother, he lives in Hyson Green.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:15   #275
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Very interestingly I have just had another text from Virgin saying their will be service disruption today as they are upgrading the network and it will be complete by 18:00 so fingers crossed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:07   #276
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

What uses are you guys finding for 1gig? I'm struggling to find one (over 500) until they up the upstream
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:15   #277
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
I'm connected to the Basford site, no idea about my brother, he lives in Hyson Green.
He's on Nottingham.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:16   #278
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
What uses are you guys finding for 1gig? I'm struggling to find one (over 500) until they up the upstream

Well last night I unexpectedly had to re-download a film.and on my 500mbit connection it took just over 2 mins at 64MB/sec. When I saw Paul's message that Nottingham had been upgraded I knew I would follow shortly and started thinking how I would notice the change. My new router will give me a throughput of 110MB/sec which means a film will take less than a minute and tv episodes will be 5 or 6 seconds.
Old 08-09-2021, 15:36   #279
Hexxeh
cf.member

Hexxeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Just became available in my area recently, I tried to use live chat to upgrade but they're fairly insistent I pay the full £62 (Gig1 broadband only) plus £35 for a Hub 4.

It seems pretty much nobody is getting the monthly price lower, but can they be made to lose the "activation charge"? Seems daft when they're handing out Hub 4s to certain areas for free and to new customers...
Hexxeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 16:43   #280
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Just for the record, I'm on Nottingham (Basford).

The upload is 52 mbps (I think), so I'm deciding if thats worth the £62.
My current deal expires in Feb 2022, so that may be a good point to consider upgrading.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 16:50   #281
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

So out of interest how much more are people being asked to pay?
From UO 600mb/s I was told I would need to pay £35 for the Sh4 and £6pm extra sub on a new contract.
At £6pm I snapped it up so did not quibble over the fee. Sky charge you an admin fee for every change on package.
Old 08-09-2021, 18:31   #282
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I notice Cambridge is now enabled, does that have any relevance to Ipswich? Any areas I should look out for as bellwethers?
Ipswich is having te network upgraded at present and will have Docsis 3.1 enabled Oct/Nov, poss end of year.
Old 08-09-2021, 18:36   #283
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
So out of interest how much more are people being asked to pay?
From UO 600mb/s I was told I would need to pay £35 for the Sh4 and £6pm extra sub on a new contract.
At £6pm I snapped it up so did not quibble over the fee. Sky charge you an admin fee for every change on package.
The step up from UO 600mb depends on what you were paying. I was paying £85 a month and was quoted £111 for the 1 gig upgrade with sky cinema UHD addon included.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 18:55   #284
General Maximus
Ran Away

sounds like you are paying £6 for bb and £10 for movies which is pretty standard
Old 08-09-2021, 19:05   #285
ozsat
cf.mega poster

I was on £95 and they made it £101 - + £35 one-off. I guess it is down to who answers the 'phone.

I see the new contract fee for UO is now £85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonespeaker View Post
The step up from UO 600mb depends on what you were paying. I was paying £85 a month and was quoted £111 for the 1 gig upgrade with sky cinema UHD addon included.