Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 10-11-2020, 19:41   #181
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

The only upside to the 360 is having access in a bedroom etc, but this is soon overtaken by the numerous downsides.​

When I had my V6 installed 4 years ago, a senior engineer rang me to see how the installation went. He said that they were working on a system where people could "watch TV in any part of the house". I assumed that this was their failed Telly Tablet venture, but now i'm wondering if he was actually referring to the 360.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2020, 20:19   #182
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The only upside to the 360 is having access in a bedroom etc, but this is soon overtaken by the numerous downsides.​

When I had my V6 installed 4 years ago, a senior engineer rang me to see how the installation went. He said that they were working on a system where people could "watch TV in any part of the house". I assumed that this was their failed Telly Tablet venture, but now i'm wondering if he was actually referring to the 360.
Could that senior emgineer be referering to this?...
https://translate.google.com/transla...je/dekoder-4k/
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 20:21   #183
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I have the second V6 in my bedroom, which is the perfect solution for me.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 20:38   #184
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Gy makes some interesting comments on this link. Points 3, 4 and 7 are serious no-nos for me, together with the lack of recording space:

1. Have been testing TV360 (was not supplied with a ‘mini-box’) and would NOT recommend the current software.

2. Can no longer record Radio programmes as they are not on program list.

3. If you record a TV series, watch an episode and delete that episode before it is repeated then that episode will be re-recorded – what a waste!

4. You cannot recover deleted programmes.

5. TV channel will no longer store 90 minutes in background while you watch a recorded program, although if you pause a live channel it will store up to 3 hours, but this 3 hours will be lost as soon as you watch a recorded program.

6. TV channel list only shows icons of channel, you can longer click on icon, making channels hard to identify.

7. You can only set record for episode or series that is currently on the software i.e. you can no longer set it to record any new series.

And the list goes on.
Oh dear, after seeing today's launch I was kinda interested, but I do love my TiVo software... my contract is up too.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 20:38   #185
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The only upside to the 360 is having access in a bedroom etc ....
The access in the bedroom is EXACTLY the same as today, by coax connection and additional access to broadband router.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 20:44   #186
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The access in the bedroom is EXACTLY the same as today, by coax connection and additional access to broadband router.
With the mini-boxes, you can only access the recordings from the one main box. That is the issue. The Horizon offer basically halves my recording capacity. If you have 3 V6s as some have, make that a third of your current recording capacity.

Sorry, but this sucks. I like the new UI, but there are some serious disadvantages with the functionality of the Horizon offer compared with the V6. It seems like a copy of the Sky Q set up to me, which I rejected years ago.
Old 10-11-2020, 21:26   #187
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
With the mini-boxes, you can only access the recordings from the one main box. That is the issue. The Horizon offer basically halves my recording capacity. If you have 3 V6s as some have, make that a third of your current recording capacity.

Sorry, but this sucks. I like the new UI, but there are some serious disadvantages with the functionality of the Horizon offer compared with the V6. It seems like a copy of the Sky Q set up to me, which I rejected years ago.

It does sound like a poor relation of SkyQ - without

the option of a 2Tb recording box
wifi enabled minis
The ability to recover deleted recordings

Etc etc
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 21:43   #188
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Don't forget the Virgin system allows UHD on the mini boxes something the Sky Q Mini doesn't , like most things there's pros and cons to both systems.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 21:59   #189
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Don't forget the Virgin system allows UHD on the mini boxes something the Sky Q Mini doesn't , like most things there's pros and cons to both systems.
There are definitely pros and cons on both systems but looking at the 360m there are too many cons for my liking.
Old 10-11-2020, 23:01   #190
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There are definitely pros and cons on both systems but looking at the 360m there are too many cons for my liking.
My thoughts exactly Den.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 14:17   #191
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Although that con list doesn't read well, surely it is just the price you (currently) pay for being an early adopter.

I know VM can work in mysterious ways but I'm confident all those quirks will be sorted in software updates.

The main issues in my opinion are the 1TB hard drive and the coax for the mini boxes. Those are the glaring issues which could potentially be fixed but with a lot more effort required
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 14:27   #192
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Although that con list doesn't read well, surely it is just the price you (currently) pay for being an early adopter.

I know VM can work in mysterious ways but I'm confident all those quirks will be sorted in software updates.

The main issues in my opinion are the 1TB hard drive and the coax for the mini boxes. Those are the glaring issues which could potentially be fixed but with a lot more effort required
You may well be right on that; I certainly hope so. I will not move over until these issues are addressed.

If we cannot have two main boxes, increasing the main box to 2 Tb will do the trick for me in terms of having to accept mini-boxes.
Old 11-11-2020, 14:33   #193
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
You may well be right on that; I certainly hope so. I will not move over until these issues are addressed.

If we cannot have two main boxes, increasing the main box to 2 Tb will do the trick for me in terms of having to accept mini-boxes.
I'm sure they will Old Boy.

I remember enough people complaining about a lack of reminders on TiVo when it came out for VM to add it as a feature.

I'm sure a hell of a lot more people would complain about a lack of deleted show recovery, a more sought after feature than reminders imo.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 14:56   #194
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I'm sure they will Old Boy.

I remember enough people complaining about a lack of reminders on TiVo when it came out for VM to add it as a feature.

I'm sure a hell of a lot more people would complain about a lack of deleted show recovery, a more sought after feature than reminders imo.
What I found most astonishing was that when you delete the programme you have just watched on a series link, it would reappear on the next airing of the programme. That is crazy!

I assume Horizon lets you bookmark on demand shows (including from Netflix and Amazon) under ‘My Shows’.
Old 11-11-2020, 15:16   #195
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Bookmarks are achieved using The Watchlist function.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote