Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cabinet identification

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cabinet identification

Old 12-03-2013, 17:19   #16
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Cabinet identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
When you say green VM fibre cabinet.... they don't usually use green cabinets. Are you sure the new green cabinet isn't an Openreach one?

If so, the grey box won't be anything to do with it as the power supply is internal on those.
The fibre cabinets in ex nynex areas are green, only the newly built MSAN cabinets in ex nynex areas are gray and they have a separate power cabinet at the side

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2013, 17:19   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

All VM cabs in my area are green (ex-TW area). Same for Glasgow.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 17:20   #18
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarflux View Post
Hi all

I haven't actually got any further with this yet - I've emailed UK Power Networks
Have you tried ringing the number on the cabinet?

I doubt it is anything to do with VM though. The VM cabinets are usually self-powered.

Quote:
they don't usually use green cabinets.
They do. You must live somewhere unusual.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 17:26   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Have you tried ringing the number on the cabinet?

I doubt it is anything to do with VM though. The VM cabinets are usually self-powered.

They do. You must live somewhere unusual.
Grey is the new colour for our cabinets but only on new install or when replacing a damaged cabinet. The cabinet in the photo is not one of the new cabinets that i have used on new build projects.

Edit

Looking at that cabinet in the photo and the lock used, i don't seem to recognise that as a type of lock used by us.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:46   #20
sugarflux
Inactive

sugarflux is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When you say green VM fibre cabinet.... they don't usually use green cabinets. Are you sure the new green cabinet isn't an Openreach one?

If so, the grey box won't be anything to do with it as the power supply is internal on those.
Honestly - I'm not sure of anything! I was guessing it was as I thought that all the VM cabinets around here (BN) were green but could well be wrong - maybe it is BT? I'm back at the house on Friday so will take some photos of the green cab to post. Funnily enough the green one isn't on streetview so I think it can't have been there longer than a year or so.

~S~

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Grey is the new colour for our cabinets but only on new install or when replacing a damaged cabinet. The cabinet in the photo is not one of the new cabinets that i have used on new build projects.

Edit

Looking at that cabinet in the photo and the lock used, i don't seem to recognise that as a type of lock used by us.
Thanks for replying Sirius but I think you may have mis-understood - I wasn't under the impression that the cab in the picture is a VM cab (it has a UKPN sticker on so I assumed it would be UKPN) but the big 5-foot tall green cabinet next to it (not shown in the picture). I thought that one was VM. I will post a photo on Friday hopefully.

~S~

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

UK Power Networks have got back to me this morning with regards an email I sent in regards the grey cabinet. They have passed the message on to the OP&C department (?) for them to investigate the agreement of the box. They will contact me.

Fingers crossed then....

One reply but still got to sort out the green cab too!

~S~
sugarflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:56   #21
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
In this area the new cabinets are green usually replacing the old grey Andover CableVision cabinets
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:01   #22
offmore
cf.member

offmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
All VM cabs in my area are green (ex-TW area). Same for Glasgow.
and in my area the midland there is a grey one like that near me but it's to do with the power company
offmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 12:54   #23
robson689
Inactive

Services: VM 60Mbit, TiVo.
robson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about them

OP&C means Operational Property & Consents department.
robson689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 12:56   #24
sugarflux
Inactive

Robson - thanks for the clarification there.

Still heard nothing back from UKPN however here is a piccy of the green cabinet that I need moved. I've searched all round for any id numbers or any clues as to who owns it but have found nothing. I've also heard nothing back from VM - I wonder whether to contact BT as well and find out if this is their cabinet?

~S~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0204.jpg (849.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0205.jpg (932.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 18-03-2013, 13:00   #25
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I wonder if by opening the cabinet and taking an interior photo before reclosing would identify the contents?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:03   #26
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

to me it looks more like a bt/openreach one, is there a pit in front of it, with a lid saying CATV or BT? Or something similar?
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:16   #27
sugarflux
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
to me it looks more like a bt/openreach one, is there a pit in front of it, with a lid saying CATV or BT? Or something similar?
Unfortunately not - no pit / lid or markings of any kind. However - just spoken to BT OpenReach and they said they are currently installing FTTC in the area and it's likely that it's one of theirs. They don't, however, deal with any of these types of enquiries over the phone so I need to make a complaint through the contact form on their website to have it investigated.

I'll do that now and keep you all updated as to any progress.

Once again, thanks everyone for all your help, advice, feedback. This really is an valuable resource

~S~
Old 18-03-2013, 14:17   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Definitely an Openreach FTTC cabinet. Look here:

And here:

And here:

And here:

Box look familiar?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:58   #29
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

There's no doubt about it.
It is as I suspected an Openreach fibre cabinet.

The grey cabinet you are talking about has nothing to do with the Openreach cabinet which has an internal power supply connected directly underground to the power network.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 15:06   #30
sugarflux
Inactive

Cool. So it looks like I need to have two seperate cabinets moved! One from UKPN and one from BTOR.

I've contacted both anyway so I'll let you guys know what happens!

~S~