Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2021, 11:23   #7036
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

It will be a combination of (re)infections and vaccines that means our bodies will "learn" and remember CV type viruses even if they do mutate. If similar enough we will have some protection and we will learn that new "stage".

What we mustn't have is fear because that allows those in charge to bring in rules/legislation etc that we normally won't tolerate and some of those will be very hard to remove later. Those with power like to exercise it and keep it.

1. Remote/hybrid working - this will (hopefully) remain.
2. Travel testing - this needs to be better focussed, cheaper and much faster. It will be really hard to do if we go back to millions of Brits heading to the Med for a week in the sun. When/where/how do you test and what do you do with non-negative tests?

Really unless we get a mutation that is so different to what has been experienced in the past and leads to high hospitalisations/deaths etc that some action in needed we really are going to have to learn to live with this. It will become less novel, population immunity will improve and develop.
Old 31-08-2021, 11:34   #7037
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Is insight part of the same function as foresight and hindsight?
Don't tempt me!

My advice is at your risk.
Old 31-08-2021, 11:52   #7038
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
It will be a combination of (re)infections and vaccines that means our bodies will "learn" and remember CV type viruses even if they do mutate. If similar enough we will have some protection and we will learn that new "stage".

What we mustn't have is fear because that allows those in charge to bring in rules/legislation etc that we normally won't tolerate and some of those will be very hard to remove later. Those with power like to exercise it and keep it.

1. Remote/hybrid working - this will (hopefully) remain.
2. Travel testing - this needs to be better focussed, cheaper and much faster. It will be really hard to do if we go back to millions of Brits heading to the Med for a week in the sun. When/where/how do you test and what do you do with non-negative tests?

Really unless we get a mutation that is so different to what has been experienced in the past and leads to high hospitalisations/deaths etc that some action in needed we really are going to have to learn to live with this. It will become less novel, population immunity will improve and develop.
Variant c.1.2 whilst not a variant of concern is under heavy research due to its potential for vaccine & immune escape. Should that be the case and should it become the dominant strain we are to a degree back at square one.

1. Remote/Hybrid working where possible is here to stay, it's as simple as that. I've attended multiple CIO/CISO conferences in the past twelve months. of all the CIO & CISO's that have either spoken at events or those that I've spoken to individually, I would say around seventy percent are now focused squarely on remote/hybrid working and the challenges faced by it.

2. Testing will get cheaper, quicker & more accurate. New tests are constantly being developed and existing tests will probably be refined and simplified

In the future i imagine it will be similar to using the egates for passport control
Old 31-08-2021, 12:14   #7039
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

When I look back on this several things are clear:

1. COVID-19 is far more virulent than the annual flu;

2. The death rate (from stats) is c. 3x higher than flu+influenza;

3. c. 2% of overall recorded COVID cases have been reported as deaths;

4. c. 0.33% of currently recorded COVID cases have been reported as deaths;

5. The vaccination programme is working.

Doesn't Tweetiepooh have it about right?

My advice is at your risk.
Old 31-08-2021, 12:33   #7040
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
When I look back on this several things are clear:

1. COVID-19 is far more virulent than the annual flu;

2. The death rate (from stats) is c. 3x higher than flu+influenza;

3. c. 2% of overall recorded COVID cases have been reported as deaths;

4. c. 0.33% of currently recorded COVID cases have been reported as deaths;

5. The vaccination programme is working.

Doesn't Tweetiepooh have it about right?

I think he's spot on.

Quote:
Variant c.1.2 whilst not a variant of concern is under heavy research due to its potential for vaccine & immune escape.
I suppose every variant of every virus has that potential but as I've asked before:- Can anyone name any virus in the history of man that has done this? I still await a reply.
Old 31-08-2021, 12:53   #7041
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I think he's spot on.

I suppose every variant of every virus has that potential but as I've asked before:- Can anyone name any virus in the history of man that has done this? I still await a reply.
I think some of it's about right but it's being based on what we already know. Look at the changes from the Alpha to Delta variant which have occured in a period of just over a year.

Parts of the world are acting as petri dishes for potential new variants be that by relaxed restrictions or a lack of progress in vaccinations.

Quite simply, the more cases in circulation, the more chance of variants, the more chance of variants, the greater chance of one that becomes significantly more difficult to deal with.

The above doesn't mean i'm in favour of reimposing the restrictions that have changed most people's lives in the past eighteen months. But we also shouldn't discard their potential necessity just yet.

To answer your question? Documented? probably not as for large periods of history we didn't actually possess the knowledge to determine. Actually occurred ? more than likely
Old 31-08-2021, 13:11   #7042
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think he's spot on.

This one?

There’s already evidence of reduced immunity vs variants, and one poor sod who has been infected by original covid, alpha covid and delta covid despite being double vaccinated between alpha and delta.

Will immunity drop overnight from high levels to zero, probably not, so long as booster vaccinations track the virus over time. Major economies are already betting big on this with huge amounts of mRNA vaccines procured through to 2023. You only need to chop away 20-30% from 70% a couple of times to hit near zero effectiveness.
Old 31-08-2021, 13:47   #7043
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I think some of it's about right but it's being based on what we already know. Look at the changes from the Alpha to Delta variant which have occured in a period of just over a year.

Parts of the world are acting as petri dishes for potential new variants be that by relaxed restrictions or a lack of progress in vaccinations.

Quite simply, the more cases in circulation, the more chance of variants, the more chance of variants, the greater chance of one that becomes significantly more difficult to deal with.

The above doesn't mean i'm in favour of reimposing the restrictions that have changed most people's lives in the past eighteen months. But we also shouldn't discard their potential necessity just yet.

To answer your question? Documented? probably not as for large periods of history we didn't actually possess the knowledge to determine. Actually occurred ? more than likely
In the history of vaccines the knowledge of any virus variant to evade vaccination would be known as it would have happened and been recorded.
To date I know of none that has unless you do.

Quote:
There’s already evidence of reduced immunity vs variants, and one poor sod who has been infected by original covid, alpha covid and delta covid despite being double vaccinated between alpha and delta.
Reduced immunity is not vaccine evasion. Try again. The covid19 vaccines have never purported to prevent infection, just reduce the severity, need for hospitalisation and as a consequence death.
Old 31-08-2021, 13:57   #7044
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

You can only reduce immunity so many times before you have none. Hence why countries are intending to procure booster vaccinations in the order of 2 to 3 times their population bases.

I have no real reason to “try again”. The evidence is there for anyone to reasonably consider.

I’m sure every vaccine press release I saw in January quoted efficacy against infection but keep moving the goalposts all you wish. The head in sand approach hasn’t served anyone well in the pandemic, I see no reason for it to have better prospects in 2022.

Last edited by jfman; 31-08-2021 at 14:02.
Old 31-08-2021, 14:03   #7045
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
In the history of vaccines the knowledge of any virus variant to evade vaccination would be known as it would have happened and been recorded.
To date I know of none that has unless you do.

Reduced immunity is not vaccine evasion. Try again. The covid19 vaccines have never purported to prevent infection, just reduce the severity, need for hospitalisation and as a consequence death.
Your original question was

'I suppose every variant of every virus has that potential but as I've asked before:- Can anyone name any virus in the history of man that has done this? I still await a reply.'

The above was what i gave my answer too, now you change your question

Secondly and as per my initial post c.1.2 is under investigation for both reduced immunity and also potential for vaccine escape. So I'm not entirely sure what you would like me to 'try harder' on ?

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 31-08-2021 at 15:42.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:02   #7046
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Buddy, you really need to give up on your prognostications - remember last September, when you said
And yet…

The fact that hospital admissions were low was a factual comment.

The reason hospital admissions went up was that the Kent variant came along and was much more infectious. Nobody realised that at the time.

Your little quotes rarely give any context.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:19   #7047
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So, something unknown came along which completely changed things, and that won’t happen again…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:36   #7048
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So, something unknown came along which completely changed things, and that won’t happen again…
There are the known knowns, and there are the unknown knowns.

Hugh, you cannot base policy decisions on what you don’t know. It is the case with everything that things can change. When that happens, you adjust the policy.

There is no other way to do this. Unless your name is Mr Hindsight, you cannot possibly know for sure which of a list of possible unknowns will occur or whether any of them will occur.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:44   #7049
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

No, but you can do risk analysis - there are lots of research/studies showing that the variants lessen the efficacy of the vaccines, so you would plan to mitigate if this increased.

Not say "we don’t know what might happen, so let’s not bother…"

Your definition of risk analysis is "this won’t reduce the deaths, just delay them, so let it happen…".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:45   #7050
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There are the known knowns, and there are the unknown knowns.

Hugh, you cannot base policy decisions on what you don’t know. It is the case with everything that things can change. When that happens, you adjust the policy.

There is no other way to do this. Unless your name is Mr Hindsight, you cannot possibly know for sure which of a list of possible unknowns will occur or whether any of them will occur.
Interesting selective quoting, as you well know there's also known unknowns and unknown unknowns. Thus rendering the rest of your statement true to form, incorrect.