Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2014, 20:47   #871
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Cool. If all companies follow suite, in 5 years time I could see VM/TIVO offering customers tv packages (as they currently stand) or an app based streaming service package with the free TV package. I, for one, would happily drop my XL TV package (and the vast amount of dross shown on it) and choose and pay for what streaming services I would prefer to watch.
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2014, 20:53   #872
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Considering I watch content on a multitude of channels from numerous US studios ie ABC , NBC , Fox , HBO , Showtime , The CW etc this kind of pricing would probably cost me a whole lot more than the current pay TV bundles , it may be suitable for some people sadly I'm not sure I'm one.
Old 16-10-2014, 21:03   #873
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Considering I watch content on a multitude of channels from numerous US studios ie ABC , NBC , Fox , HBO , Showtime , The CW etc this kind of pricing would probably cost me a whole lot more than the current pay TV bundles , it may be suitable for some people sadly I'm not sure I'm one.
I think the companies will continue working with providers going by what HBO are saying they said they basically intend to work with it's current partners but the aim of going solo is there are 80 million households in the US without HBO and they want to basically get as many as they can.
Old 16-10-2014, 21:10   #874
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
If you were HBO, would you prefer a) guaranteed income over 7 years from a single company who handle everything for you in a particular territory and are paying a premium for exclusivity or b) implementing IPTV technology, billing systems, customer support, marketing and everything else needed to go it alone?

This is a big reason why HBO have previously resisted a streaming service (independent of a cable subscription) in the US. The increasing popularity of 'Cord Cutting' has changed the landscape.
Old 24-10-2014, 11:28   #875
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

YouView finally gets BBC Connected Red Button plus 30 day iPlayer catch-ups

Link
Old 26-10-2014, 12:09   #876
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Regarding WWE Network this post from Dspy is rather interesting it basically states that WWE Network will never be part of Skys programming.
Quote:
I'm just as disappointed as you regarding the delay. Not really sure what is going on behind the scenes at WWE but I am sure the delay will be all in the fans benefit in the long run. Cole and Jerry announced Oct 1st live on Raw so this delay is clearly unavoidable. What I can tell you for sure is that the WWE Network will never be part of the Sky programming, the nature of the product just wouldn't fit with our setup. The WWE Network is exclusively a steaming service like Netflix or Hulu. Chat about WWE more here on the centralised thread on the Sky Community - http://bit.ly/1thoMXS . Chris
<--- that link will take you direct to Skys WWE forums.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...postcount=1635
Old 26-10-2014, 12:34   #877
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I wonder what the delay is then? Wwe begging sky to change their mind?
Old 26-10-2014, 13:42   #878
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
If you were HBO, would you prefer a) guaranteed income over 7 years from a single company who handle everything for you in a particular territory and are paying a premium for exclusivity or b) implementing IPTV technology, billing systems, customer support, marketing and everything else needed to go it alone?

Maybe also worth pointing out that HBO Nordic is in partnership with and delivered by a local company with extensive pay TV experience in that market.
Just seen this post, Steve. I guess that the reason that b) in this country might be more attractive to HBO is that it will be able to reach more of its audience and reduce piracy by making its programmes available to all those who want to subscribe.

HBO must be reducing its ability to make money by putting all its eggs in Sky's basket.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:00   #879
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Just seen this post, Steve. I guess that the reason that b) in this country might be more attractive to HBO is that it will be able to reach more of its audience and reduce piracy by making its programmes available to all those who want to subscribe.

HBO must be reducing its ability to make money by putting all its eggs in Sky's basket.
Its called selling out for the big buck.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:13   #880
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I wonder what the delay is then? Wwe begging sky to change their mind?
No idea mate i'm trying to find out i will ofcourse provide updates once i get information.
Old 28-10-2014, 06:56   #881
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Post Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
What's the whole spotify offer? It appears in "offers" but offers me the opportunity to link my account to spotify (what is the point?) and states there are no deals currently. I don't even see why vm were advertising spotify?
As from Friday Vince,I had been unable to access my Spotify Premium account on any of my 5 devices via Virgin and kept getting messages to upgrade to Premium. After being on the phone for 50 minutes and passed around 5 CS ops (between uk and India and back again) they finally told me that the partnership between Spotify and Virgin Media has now ended.

I have now started my Premium account directly with Spotify.

Why don't they tell their customers this in advance? Yet another example of lack of communication between Virgin Media and their customers.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:19   #882
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor:35737801

As from Friday Vince,I had been unable to access my Spotify Premium account on any of my 5 devices via Virgin and kept getting messages to upgrade to Premium. After being on the phone for 50 minutes and passed around 5 CS ops (between uk and India and back again) they finally told me that the partnership between Spotify and Virgin Media has now ended.

I have now started my Premium account directly with Spotify.

Why don't they tell their customers this in advance? Yet another example of lack of communication between Virgin Media and their customers.
Same here, although it was Saturday when we lost Spotify.
Called up Sunday, Scottish guy who had to find out from his manager that VM don't offer Spotify anymore.
I haven't had any warning of this, which is really bad from VM.
Also my bill had just generated so I am being charged £9.99 for next month.
Old 28-10-2014, 13:52   #883
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

The first guy I spoke to was scottish and while I was talking I was cut off! He and another CS Op tried to blame it on a broadband outage which was BS considering I couldn't get Spotify on my mobile through my date.

After the call finished I noticed on my desktop Spotify app that there was a message that the partnership with Virgin Media had ended with a link to pay them directly.
Old 28-10-2014, 14:30   #884
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think Steve's point is that the premium which HBO is able to charge Sky for exclusitivity more than makes up for the reduction in potential viewers by not being on more platforms.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

A new streaming stick out from Amazon in the US. Looks quite powerful.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/...le-chromecast/
Old 28-10-2014, 15:25   #885
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think Steve's point is that the premium which HBO is able to charge Sky for exclusitivity more than makes up for the reduction in potential viewers by not being on more platforms.
Much as I hate to admit it, if HBO launched a streaming version in the UK and dumped the Sky deal, I think HBO would see their UK income down by many millions of pounds.

Given that they can't dump the Sky deal for several years, it's academic anyway.

When the Sky deal does expire, streaming will be more popular, but I still wouldn't rule out another HBO/Sky deal at that point.

I think Sky want it for 'up-market' prestige and a perceived USP and don't care if the number of viewers they get doesn't justify the cost.

I don't think there is a big enough demand for the HBO type of gritty show in the UK, otherwise, why would Channel 5 have dropped such shows as Justified and Sons of Anarchy?
Closed Thread