Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 17-09-2020, 13:58   #3976
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The EU is the one forcing a hard border, and NOBODY ELSE. They are the ones being constantly stubborn on a trade deal. Where else on the planet would another country be allowed to dictate what could and couldn't be moved around in the country? Do you have the remotest idea of what the EU has control over. eg parcels from GB to NI. There is a very long list of things that we have to get their approval over.
Why on earth should the IRA dictate what this country can and cannot do?
Given “taking back control” of our borders was one of the reasons for Brexit I’m sure even you see the irony that “we want control of our borders but we don’t want you to control yours” is a somewhat unrealistic ambition.

Would you accept a flood of migrants heading our way over the UK partition on the island or Ireland? Of course you wouldn’t. It’s unreasonable to expect so.
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2020, 13:59   #3977
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The EU is the one forcing a hard border, and NOBODY ELSE. They are the ones being constantly stubborn on a trade deal. Where else on the planet would another country be allowed to dictate what could and couldn't be moved around in the country? Do you have the remotest idea of what the EU has control over. eg parcels from GB to NI. There is a very long list of things that we have to get their approval over.
Why on earth should the IRA dictate what this country can and cannot do?
From a soft Brexiter's viewpoint, if the UK took an approach like Norway and Switzerland we wouldn't be in this mess.

Alternatively, from a no-deal Brexiter's viewpoint, the Government could have decided that it was better to review a 20-year old treaty (The Good Friday Agreement) and not a 20-week-old treaty (Withdrawal Agreement). It would have won the moral agreement (eg why is the EU interfering in a sovereign nation) if it had done the former and not the latter. The Government has failed no-deal Brexiters as it's too late for such a situation.
Old 17-09-2020, 14:25   #3978
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I have no qualms regarding a no deal brexit.

hard border, soft border, 100 miles of concrete wall with guard posts and razor wire, line scuffed in the sand . . . all the same in the end, we'll trade or we won't.

Pretty sure I can survive without
Old 17-09-2020, 14:44   #3979
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I have no qualms regarding a no deal brexit.

hard border, soft border, 100 miles of concrete wall with guard posts and razor wire, line scuffed in the sand . . . all the same in the end, we'll trade or we won't.

Pretty sure I can survive without
Except what you've described breaks the Good Friday Agreement. If so, they should have addressed this in 2016 not 2020.
Old 17-09-2020, 14:45   #3980
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Except what you've described breaks the Good Friday Agreement. If so, they should have addressed this in 2016 not 2020.
ok . . . so what agreement does 'no border' break?
Old 17-09-2020, 15:13   #3981
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Good Friday Agreement requires no borders.
WTO if no deal means borders.
Old 17-09-2020, 15:16   #3982
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I love this conundrum. Everyone loses and shit creek looks like paradise!

My advice is at your risk.
Old 17-09-2020, 15:24   #3983
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
But Germany still broke International law and it would do so if it meant upholding their constitution.

The outrage from the Remainers is non-existent when other countries breach international treaties/laws because you’re hypocrites. I’m fed up of you all defending the EU, when it is the one acting in total disgrace towards Britain over the years. The fact, you hold the EU in such high regard when it is corrupt to the core. The fact it is Undemocratic but pretends to be so.
To be fair, I wasn't even aware of this case until today so I was unable to express any outrage. I agree that the German courts vs. the ECJ could result in Germany being in a position to break the Eurozone agreements. Luckily for everyone, the further clarifications sent by the ECB were accepted by German as passing the subsidiarity tests they initially failed and a bullet was dodged. The UK can still dodge a bullet too...

Luckily in terms of corruption, the EU and Western Europe states are the least corrupt region in the world with 14 of the top 20 countries in the Corruption Perceptions Index. Always room for improvement though - https://www.transparency.org/en/news...-europe-and-eu
Old 17-09-2020, 15:43   #3984
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
T Boris’ strategy for trying to prove that he won’t cave in (that highly contentious piece of legislation) is high risk, but it is meant to create a lot of noise, as it has in fact done.
And more importantly, to distract from the Track and Trace failings.
Old 17-09-2020, 17:04   #3985
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Quote:
Still not sure I understand.

The Good Friday agreement says we don't need a border, but that isn't a trade deal is it?

A WTO means we will need a border if there's no deal with the EU.

A deal with the EU means we won't need a border, and therefore won't need one if we strike other deals elsewhere . . but we do need a border in it's no deal . . . is that right?

The deal with Japan (and others) . . was there a fuss about borders?

Should I just treble my daily alcohol intake and forget it all?
Old 17-09-2020, 17:12   #3986
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Still not sure I understand.

The Good Friday agreement says we don't need a border, but that isn't a trade deal is it?

A WTO means we will need a border if there's no deal with the EU.

A deal with the EU means we won't need a border, and therefore won't need one if we strike other deals elsewhere . . but we do need a border in it's no deal . . . is that right?

The deal with Japan (and others) . . was there a fuss about borders?

Should I just treble my daily alcohol intake and forget it all?
Nope, I can't recommend increasing consumption that much. But pull up a chair, pour yourself a moderate glass and watch it all unfurl.

We have a border with Japan.
We don't have one with the Republic of Ireland as enshrined in the Good Friday Agreement, which is not a trade deal. Which is fine and dandy at the moment but if we can't strike a trade deal with the EU then we enter that dilemma I outlined earlier:
- Good Friday Agreement requires no borders.
- WTO if no deal means borders.

The current situation is a bit like leaving the task you hate to do the most until the last possible moment whereas you know the sensible thing to do is to get it out of the way early on.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 17-09-2020 at 17:24.
Old 17-09-2020, 17:36   #3987
Carth
cf.mega poster

aaah, so if we struck some kind of deal with the Republic of Ireland as a separate entity - if that's at all possible to the EU masters - everything would be fine
Old 17-09-2020, 17:39   #3988
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
To be fair, I wasn't even aware of this case until today so I was unable to express any outrage. I agree that the German courts vs. the ECJ could result in Germany being in a position to break the Eurozone agreements. Luckily for everyone, the further clarifications sent by the ECB were accepted by German as passing the subsidiarity tests they initially failed and a bullet was dodged. The UK can still dodge a bullet too...

Luckily in terms of corruption, the EU and Western Europe states are the least corrupt region in the world with 14 of the top 20 countries in the Corruption Perceptions Index. Always room for improvement though - https://www.transparency.org/en/news...-europe-and-eu
I was only aware of it at midnight last night and didn't have time to research the voracity of the claims. Not that it's mine or anyone's responsibility here to fact check these things. Thanks for clarifying the situation in Germany.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:
aaah, so if we struck some kind of deal with the Republic of Ireland as a separate entity - if that's at all possible to the EU masters - everything would be fine
Trading blocs with a single market can't strike side deals as the single market would cease to be um, a single market.
Old 17-09-2020, 18:07   #3989
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Trading blocs with a single market can't strike side deals as the single market would cease to be um, a single market.
Rules & Regulations, always getting in the damn way
Old 17-09-2020, 19:01   #3990
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post

I do not want the UK to dodge a bullet, I do not care if it means breaching international law, it if means stopping the corrupted EU from getting it's grips on Northern Ireland.

The EU is corrupt to the core and nothing you say changes this or any stupid index system. I have a pair of eyes, it is corrupt!

The EU pretends to be a Democratic Entity = Corrupt.

Just look at the European Commission Presidential Election last year, how the current and new president, Ursula Von Der Leyen, wasn't even on the ballot = Corrupt.

It breaches International law itself, is in current breach of the Withdrawal Act, given it is not acting in good faith in negotiations when it has a legal requirement to do so. A legal standard itself upholds with but fails to follow itself = Corrupt.

The EU insists that Democratic processes are asked again, to ensure it gets the result it wants = Corrupt.

Thankfully the UK stood up to this totally corrupted democratic system by a totally corrupted entity.

I will keep on saying it until you and the other Remainers in this thread get it. Germany broke international law, "broke" is past tense, it does not say in the article, that it was going to break, it "broke" it cannot undo what it has done, so as the Spectator asked in the article, why was Germany not punished by the corrupted EU for breaking International law, stop trying to sugar coat it or pretend it didn't happen when it did.

When a legal expert, a barrister has certainly explained in the Spectator that the case was that Germany, with its supposed high commitment to international law, found as a matter of principle that it can overturn international law (this can only mean break it), if an international law obligation asked Germany to do something which was a fundamental breach of its constitution.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Quote:
And more importantly, to distract from the Track and Trace failings.
That is what the pathetic EU's Barnier accused him off yesterday. Mouth piece for the EU yet again I see, you're a disgrace Andrew.
Closed Thread