Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2008, 11:45   #13906
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
Would you care to back that wild accusation up ?

I've answered anything you've all asked me to the best of my abilities.
Speaks Volumes!
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2008, 11:47   #13907
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Speaks Volumes!
Wish I'd have posted that

Old 13-08-2008, 12:01   #13908
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

I suspect the EC request will throw the cat among the pigeons.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._phorm_letter/
Old 13-08-2008, 12:12   #13909
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
I suspect the EC request will throw the cat among the pigeons.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._phorm_letter/
Yes, it's very good to see someone with real power asking some tough questions.

The fact that the answers are slow in coming suggests (in my opinion) that this isn't being dismissed as a trivial matter.

I see Florence is reading the thread again, if not contributing. Welcome back Florence.
Old 13-08-2008, 12:18   #13910
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
BT Spy-gate
Phorm-gate
<deleted>

Edit Rob: Mind the language, even if it is starred out
What's wrong with sold up the swannie? :P

New article relating to targetted adverts
http://www.out-law.com/page-9345
Old 13-08-2008, 12:35   #13911
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Hi, I do not know if this has been spotted already and is a bit off topic but it looks like Virgin Media may use DPI in the music download controversy.

"PaidContent:UK is reporting the story, and indicates that it has been gathering the details for some time. According to its story, Virgin Media has reached an agreement with playlouder, which already runs a subscription-based music service. Virgin will see playlouder install deep packet inspection (DPI) equipment on its networks; the hardware will detect copyrighted material that traverses the network, and Virgin will compensate the rights holders accordingly."

Taken from here -

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...d-via-p2p.html

Dave.
Old 13-08-2008, 12:43   #13912
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Gavin Echlin Patterson, according to the FSA, also holds a Directorship in CPP (Card Protection Plan), an identity theft insurance business.

Which is tad ironic.

http://www.cpp.co.uk/

Updated; hence BT Identity Protection links to CPP.
Old 13-08-2008, 12:46   #13913
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

How many DPI machines are virgin willing to allow on their network? This is getting ridiculous
Old 13-08-2008, 12:50   #13914
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
Would you care to back that wild accusation up ?
I've answered anything you've all asked me to the best of my abilities.
Would you like me to compile a list of Phorm/Webwise questions asked of you here, and not answered? I'm good at that sort of thing.

The questions will all be relevant to the topic of the thread - I'll leave out the ones that may have been off topic.

Tell you what - if you promise to take them one by one, in numbered order, with a source/reference/url for each answer if you have one, and indicating clearly openly and transparently if you don't have an answer, I'll promise to put a list together. But I will only do it if I get that promise. Any sort of fudged answer and I won't do the list.

Your go...
Old 13-08-2008, 12:52   #13915
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Gavin Echlin Patterson, according to the FSA, also holds a Directorship in CPP (Card Protection Plan), an identity theft insurance business.

Which is tad ironic.

http://www.cpp.co.uk/
About par for the course in this whole stinking hypocritical mess that BT have got themselves into.
Privacy enhancing technology, my arse
Old 13-08-2008, 12:55   #13916
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
What's wrong with sold up the swannie? :P

New article relating to targetted adverts
http://www.out-law.com/page-9345
there is quite a bold statement in that article that I would disagree with.

Quote:
Such monitoring is not illegal if it is done with the user's consent and permission.
I'm not aware of any rulings that have been made stating this to be the case? I know this has already been discussed but there is so much more to it than just gaining the users consent.
Old 13-08-2008, 12:56   #13917
tee cee
Inactive

tee cee is an unknown quantity at this point

A rare contribution ...
Speaking as an old pensioner with very limited technical knowledge, I would like to thank the anti Phorm contributors to the forum. When I first became aware of the issue early in the year I was incensed that ISP's felt they had the right to hi jack the browsing of their customers. Since that time I have firstly, made it my business to raise awareness with friends family and as many others as possible. I would add that many of those people have changed providers as a result of my efforts. Secondly I have sought to raise my my own awareness of the wider issues arising from DPI and targetted advertising as proposed.
It has been strikingly apparent to me that cogent well thought out and well constructed arguments have been developed in opposition to the proposed deplyoyment and i have been grateful to absorb these. In contrast, I have found the presentaion of of the case for BT/Phorm and their apologists (especially those who bring their ill informed arrogance to various fora.. they know who they are) to be nothing more than PR spin and obfuscation, not to mention downright lies.
I am further incensed by lack of action by the authorities and have been busy writing my own complaints, for the first time in a long life, I should add. I welcome the close attention being made by the EU authorities. Generally, I steer clear of party political criticism, believing these particular issues to be endemic within govt. depts of whichever colour.
The main point i wish to emphasise is that alongside the major contributors to the fora there are many, many others working to spread the word. We appreciate the efforts of more knowledgeable and more frequent posters and hope that in our own way we add to the efforts to make sure this is consigned to history.

Thanks and keep up the good work, I know I will be doing just that.

A final word to Florence, I have very much appreciated your contributions here and would be very sorry to see to see you withdraw. Please reconsider.

Tee Cee
Old 13-08-2008, 13:04   #13918
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethejag View Post
Hi, I do not know if this has been spotted already and is a bit off topic but it looks like Virgin Media may use DPI in the music download controversy.

"PaidContent:UK is reporting the story, and indicates that it has been gathering the details for some time. According to its story, Virgin Media has reached an agreement with playlouder, which already runs a subscription-based music service. Virgin will see playlouder install deep packet inspection (DPI) equipment on its networks; the hardware will detect copyrighted material that traverses the network, and Virgin will compensate the rights holders accordingly."

Taken from here -

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...d-via-p2p.html

Dave.

and apart from copyrighted material the software can detect...

what?

Old 13-08-2008, 13:04   #13919
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

another reg exclusive...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/13/phorm_us_tests/
Old 13-08-2008, 13:23   #13920
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
-

Quote:
Phorm says that it's no longer working with these ISPs and that it now has "no business partnerships in the States." But in the spring, rumor had it that AT&T and Qwest were on the verge of deploying the company's ad technologies.
And I know who was pushing the rumours.

I wonder what that denial will do to the share price now.

The real story here is in the response phorm feels the need to make.
Closed Thread